The online racing simulator
Install system
(43 posts, started )
Quote from Bob Smith :I'm using NSIS myself for VHPA, plenty of scope for customisability. Not come across InnoSetup but I doubt it's worth me switching over now (unless Ian can convince me otherwise).

Probably horses for courses. Inno was the first I tried on 32-bit windoze back in win95 days after toying with WISE on win3.1, heh.

It comes with an optional 3rd party GUI tool (ISTool) as part of the Quickstart Pack download which makes it _very_ simple click-click-click to build a (basic) installer.. but for me, the scripting is far simpler as it uses a Pascal engine (NSIS seems more like ASM, which I haven't looked at since 16-bit days). I didn't know any Pascal previously, but as it's very similar to Delphi, which in turn is just like backwards C++, picking up the basics wasn't too difficult. All the tools I release are packaged with Inno and 99% of the time simply use the point-n-click options within ISTool to create them. I Only really touch the scripting area when I need to create something a bit more funky.

Quote :Having an installer interface will add a notch of professionalism to the LFS package, particularly if this linked you backed to the registration page on lfs.net to sign up for an account if you already haven't (more now than ever once patch Z comes out and all those demo users need accounts).

Agreed on this. Being a FreeBSD "fan".. I'm more than happy to work with archives.. but an installer does add some elements of professionalism and simplicity (for the most simply example, shortcut icons and a simple uninstall method without requiring the user to dig into the filesystem.. we all know what some (l)users can be like).

I'd be happy to share the .iss script file for Inno that I used to build the installer I did some time ago or even sort out a pre-compiled version (as well) if wanted

Regards,

Ian
Sorry for double post.

Im going to use NSIS for this. As Inno looks too complicated

Could someone look at the NSIS license and see if we have to pay for commercial use. http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page\

What does this mean?

Quote :4. COMMERCIAL DISTRIBUTION

Commercial distributors of software may accept certain responsibilities with respect to end users, business partners and the like. While this license is intended to facilitate the commercial use of the Program, the Contributor who includes the Program in a commercial product offering should do so in a manner which does not create potential liability for other Contributors. Therefore, if a Contributor includes the Program in a commercial product offering, such Contributor ("Commercial Contributor") hereby agrees to defend and indemnify every other Contributor ("Indemnified Contributor") against any losses, damages and costs (collectively "Losses") arising from claims, lawsuits and other legal actions brought by a third party against the Indemnified Contributor to the extent caused by the acts or omissions of such Commercial Contributor in connection with its distribution of the Program in a commercial product offering. The obligations in this section do not apply to any claims or Losses relating to any actual or alleged intellectual property infringement. In order to qualify, an Indemnified Contributor must: a) promptly notify the Commercial Contributor in writing of such claim, and b) allow the Commercial Contributor to control, and cooperate with the Commercial Contributor in, the defense and any related settlement negotiations. The Indemnified Contributor may participate in any such claim at its own expense.

For example, a Contributor might include the Program in a commercial product offering, Product X. That Contributor is then a Commercial Contributor. If that Commercial Contributor then makes performance claims, or offers warranties related to Product X, those performance claims and warranties are such Commercial Contributor's responsibility alone. Under this section, the Commercial Contributor would have to defend claims against the other Contributors related to those performance claims and warranties, and if a court requires any other Contributor to pay any damages as a result, the Commercial Contributor must pay those damages.

I think (by my understanding), if we said "OMG LFS HAS AWESOME INSTALLERZ", we'd be liable for if the claim is incorrect, not the installer devs.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I think (by my understanding), if we said "OMG LFS HAS AWESOME INSTALLERZ", we'd be liable for if the claim is incorrect, not the installer devs.

But clearly it has a nulsoft copy right undernieth it so its not lfs's installer
uploading to filefornt. ETA remaing 44 mintues
If people don't know how to unzip the file, navigate to the correct folder and then click on LFS.exe, they're probably drifters or something anyway. So, -1 from here.
#33 - DeMS
Quote from Batterypark :If people don't know how to unzip the file, navigate to the correct folder and then click on LFS.exe, they're probably drifters or something anyway. So, -1 from here.

Honestly, I think it would make a more elegant, smart and professional package to have it's own installer. Providing no installer feels unprofessional and amateurish to most people. As long as it doesn't take any important size hit, it's an interesting idea.

Let's see if the dev's will come to like it.
Don't forget to put midi-music to the installer.
with SSB playing in a window for you
+1 for an optional installer
-1 for a mandatory installer
Doesn't having an installer defeat one of the points of not having an installer? In that you don't need to install it!
#38 - dev
Quote from DeMS :Honestly, I think it would make a more elegant, smart and professional package to have it's own installer. Providing no installer feels unprofessional and amateurish to most people. As long as it doesn't take any important size hit, it's an interesting idea.

Let's see if the dev's will come to like it.

The dev's (me and my clones) don't like it
Actually, doesn't 7-Zip choose your current directory as the default one? So it's just click extract, and it makes a new folder, conveniently named "Live For Speed" or something of the like...even if it defaults to the desktop, it's not hard to move it. I realise some people aren't very tech-savvy, but it's literally click and drag The type of people who play Alpha games would be expected to do simple file operations, I'd have though...(unless he/she tries to overclock his/her laptop's CPU to double its clock speed...no names mentioned )

LFS is still in Alpha stage, so an installer wouldn't seem right. When it comes to release, or maybe even Beta, then an installer would be OK IMO.
install is good thing, and i want to suggest to make downloading easier for slow internet players like me, game is only 150 mb but my internet connection is very slow so it takes me to download that in about 3 or 2,5 h it's is not good because my connection is unstable (i don't know why) so it disconnects in every 1 h that really sux, so i would like to suggest to split 7zip (or install) in parts of ~ 50 mb.
Poor you. I can download it under a minute.
You could use a download manager. I used Download Direct, it also makes everything download faster . Or even find a P2P of LFS. There are some around AFAIK that aren't cracked. IDK, I can download it in ~20 mins, average time I guess
An official torrent could be an idea, then.

Install system
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG