The online racing simulator
Codemasters acquire F1 license
(64 posts, started )
Oh crap...

Quote :
Formula One is to have its first official computer game in more than two years next season following the capture of a new official licencing deal with British gaming company Codemasters, autosport.com can reveal.

With Sony having published the most recent official F1 game last summer, based on the 2006 season and available only on PlayStation consoles, Codemasters' deal will see F1 return to a multiformat platform for the first time in many years.

The game is set to be available on all major home consoles, as well as handheld and PC gaming formats.

After weeks of discussion between Codemasters and Formula One Administration, it is anticipated that the company will produce the first game next year, based on the 2009 F1 season. This will be the first game that Lewis Hamilton will appear in.

Rod Cousens, chief executive officers of Codemasters, said: "Formula One is ambitious in expanding its reach with more circuits planned beyond recent additions in the Middle East and China. It is also ambitious in expanding its reach via technology.

"As a world-leading creator of driving games, this alliance with F1 is the jewel in Codemasters' racing crown and creates an undisputed segment champion."

Chris Deering, chairman of Codemasters, added: "Codemasters' success and recent innovations in the racing game space makes the company more than appropriately tuned for the challenge.
"The combination of F1's new momentum of expansion and Codemasters' contemporary technology and past experience is the breaking of a new dawn for the sport, on the track and on the HD game screen."

Codemasters Studios has already begun preparations for the major task of creating the new game, by strengthening their team with personnel from the now defunct Sega Racing Studio.
There are 350 people working on the project, which will be based on the EGO Engine that Codemasters has put to good use on the Colin McRae: DIRT and soon-to-be-released Race Driver: GRID titles.

>.<

Goodbye to a true F1 sim then...and what's the bets they'll give Hamilton a stats boost to satisfy the gaming public?
Well If I remember Correctly the last mob who made it were British and Button was way overated on it, expecially 06.
I hope to god it doesn't handle like EAs F1 games they were epic bad.
Shitty news.
Face it guys, whoever got the licence you would not have been happy because any F1 game is going to be mass market and therefore simple physics.

It may aswell be codemasters, at least their games usually have good gameplay and their forcefeedback support is substantially better than some simulation titles I could name.
Quote from Becky Rose :Face it guys, whoever got the licence you would not have been happy because any F1 game is going to be mass market and therefore simple physics.

It may aswell be codemasters, at least their games usually have good gameplay and their forcefeedback support is substantially better than some simulation titles I could name.

Well Studio Liverpool made the last 5 or so F1 games and there wern't complicated but it was good to control, Ea made a 2002 and 99-02 career version and both had epic bad handling.
#8 - TiJay
F1CE was good, although obviously not up to the standard of GT5P. I was hoping Polyphony would get the licence though.
*shrugs*

I think they will do a better job then Sony, as they had seemed to be resting on their laurels with the F1 titles, and they only released a few titles in the American market. I'm very disappointed with SCEE & SCEA as a whole.

Codemasters has released very good racing games, Colin McCrea Rally springs to mind. I think they will fix the McLaren color, so that it really LOOKS like it should, instead of coping out and making it gray (That annoys the CRAP out of me).
Quote from Dygear :Codemasters has released very good racing games, Colin McCrea Rally springs to mind. I think they will fix the McLaren color, so that it really LOOKS like it should, instead of coping out and making it gray (That annoys the CRAP out of me).

Pretty good game I guess if that's the biggest flaw

EA made a while back deal with Elwis Halimton. EA was also the most obvious contender getting the license since Sony said it wont renew it.

If not Codesuckers, then it would have been some other big name like EA or Microsoft. All are equally bad in the end so saying "goodbye real F1 sim" is stupid because that wasn't coming in the first place.

What's most irritating thing is that the deal is again exclusive (I guess). If it wasn't, then the big mass market could have their arcade game and simmers could have their own... :mad:
What, exactly, is stopping modders for an existing game tweaking that game to replicate the 2006/7/8/9/10 seasons?

Grand Prix 4 springs to mind...IDK how many of you have played the 2006/7 mods for it, but they are (IMO) good.
But people think of the lovely graphics
^ Ye. But good gfx don't make good gameplay, do they?

Which would you rather have? A game that looks awful but is addictive as hell. Or a game that looks nice but doesn't play well at all?
i think the outcome might be ok
At least it will be multiformat. I can't hold out much hope for realism, but I guess some modders will sort that issue out.
Would you rather have EA? Look what they did to the NASCAR games

Codemasters isn't bad enough to turn a racing game into arcadish racers like EA did with NASCAR games. If you carefully look at Codemasters games they are known for creating semi sims which is an actual category itself. I'd rather have a semi sim than a completely arcade racer. So I'm not that appalled by the news
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Goodbye to a true F1 sim then...and what's the bets they'll give Hamilton a stats boost to satisfy the gaming public?

I share your feelings about our countries obsession with idolising our sporting talent before they have even won anything, but I think this is a little unfair.

Surely the stats will be different between each manufacturer's car not the drivers themselves?
Oh well, there goes our hopes and dreams of a proper F1 simulation.
Quote from hardcoreobscure :Surely the stats will be different between each manufacturer's car not the drivers themselves?

There are probably two sets of stats (like rFactor or GTR2) - one for the driver and one for the car.
F1 '97 was teh best F1 game
I liked the 95 game

Mine ended up getting scratched and the commentry glitched and it was really funny :P
guys, tried Race driver: Grid demo and its one amazing, fun game to play without any aids. Its using same engine that Dirt used and this F1 game will use, and if they dont mess it up with crashs then we are gonna have one hell of a game
Quote from DevilDare : Its using same engine that Dirt used

Enough said.
Not a hope in hells chance of a decent F1 game on that sack of cack.

Its moments like this when you realise $200 a year for iRental sounds not too bad after all
Ehh codemasters in sim/arcarde not so good... But honestly i will wait for it,coz i have stick to gp4 still... lawl

(64 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG