The online racing simulator
proper AI needed quickly
(32 posts, started )
#1 - Juls
proper AI needed quickly
Today I wanted to use the LX4/LX6 online. Unfortunately there is no server with a proper combo. So I chose a server allowing all cars...it seemed to me such a server is a place where people can use any car.

Haha, what a mistake...as soon as I took LX6 I was banned. All this is boring. When I have network lag, other people think I am drifting and ban me. When I lose control (on a training server, not even in a race)...they think I am a wrecker and ban me because one guy had to brake a bit to avoid me. When I chose a different car and stay behind just to learn better to keep my distance and drive cleanly they ban me without any warning message. Why do they allow it then?

Please improve again AI so that I do not have to play online anymore.
Quote from Juls :Today I wanted to use the LX4/LX6 online. Unfortunately there is no server with a proper combo. So I chose a server allowing all cars...it seemed to me such a server is a place where people can use any car.

Haha, what a mistake...as soon as I took LX6 I was banned. All this is boring. When I have network lag, other people think I am drifting and ban me. When I lose control (on a training server, not even in a race)...they think I am a wrecker and ban me because one guy had to brake a bit to avoid me. When I chose a different car and stay behind just to learn better to keep my distance and drive cleanly they ban me without any warning message. Why do they allow it then?

Please improve again AI so that I do not have to play online anymore.

Lol, that sentence made me laugh But yeah i got kicked once too on "all car server" for driving Fox....
Quote from DevilDare :Lol, that sentence made me laugh But yeah i got kicked once too on "all car server" for driving Fox....

Why the **** do they have all cars then?
Retards.

I think it should be a server for evry car made by the leaders (scawen or something, i dont know.)
Fox server
Fxo server
and so on
I usually play offline too. If you don´t play against some mates or in a league, it´s very difficult to find a proper server
CTRA used to be pretty good. but now i can hardly get through T1 when starting in the middle of the grid
#6 - Juls
Quote from aroX123 :
I think it should be a server for evry car made by the leaders (scawen or something, i dont know.)
Fox server
Fxo server
and so on

Good idea, and it should be impossible to ban a user before he was kicked first.
And the kick/ban vote should have a reason written on it.
It was so quick I did not even see it before I was banned so I did not have opportunity to see what was wrong and change car.

A popup should appear: A kick/ban vote has been issued against you for the following reason:....

The "funny" thing is that virtual racers are far less tolerant toward new drivers doing mistakes than real drivers risking their lives. I suppose having to brake during qualifying because the previous car is slower than you is common?
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :CTRA used to be pretty good. but now i can hardly get through T1 when starting in the middle of the grid

Yeah, I tryied it for the first time few days ago and wrecked me like in demo servers

In the other hand, the same day I had a nice race in South City with the UF, but that is casual.
The CTRA guys keep wanting us to file reports against crashers, but it really does not help the situation right now, where almost a quarter of the guys do not get through T1 and T2. It is frustrating to get bumped out accidentally, and for some reason the car gets flung high up and smashed around just because of a little knock.
If the damage system online could be like the offline kind, then we wont have this much trouble.
What do you mean by offlie damage equal to online? it is.
The difference is that online there is lag. as everyboddy kow, weird things happen when lag occurs (you crash in a car that actually is not there =) )
i agree there should be one server for each car/ combo..

and yeah, im playing alot on CTRA but i find it almost impossible to get pass on t1 due to crashes. and due to my amazing rig (20 ppl on grid equals to 12 fps)
#10 - Iron
Quote from Juls :Today I wanted to use the LX4/LX6 online. Unfortunately there is no server with a proper combo.

Just a little plug. This week we (Dead Men Racing) run the LX4s at SO chicane route rev. This week means from Thursday to Thursday. Though tonight is a special "team racing night" (details are here http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=41394 for the interested) other nights are regular racing, and every sensible man (and woman ) is welcome, no matter the speed.
Yes, DMR servers always have good, clean racing. I haven't been on much, but when I have, I finished every single race, along with every body else
Although this combo may not be the easiest if you want to finish a race.
LX4 on South City Chicane route is complicated enough all by yourself to wreck the car!
Make sure you try a few laps offline before you join.
DMR server is a very good place to go for clean and fair races, and populated enough in Europe evenings. Keep up the good work!
Quote from NitroNitrous :Yeah, I tryied it for the first time few days ago and wrecked me like in demo servers

In the other hand, the same day I had a nice race in South City with the UF, but that is casual.

yeah its requires a lot of luck to get a decent race on CTRA servers now.
like yesterday in peak hours i managed to get a few AWESOME races on SS1. the top 5 was sooo close the winner was determined at the last corner. and one of the race first and second was separated by only 0.00s

btw, just a little tip. start from the back if the server is full of noobs. and just let them crash at t1 and you should be able to pick up a few points =P
#14 - 5haz
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :btw, just a little tip. start from the back if the server is full of noobs. and just let them crash at t1 and you should be able to pick up a few points =P

Lol yes very true, I went from 2nd to last to having a massive lead in one corner by doing that the other day! (Shame I got my wheels on the grass a few corners later and spun! )

I agree that CTRA is mad too, some people think they can drive through your car and so they start bouncing you off the wall, then this causes both of you to spin and then they start bitching about how you took them off, I also had someone joing the circuit right infront of me and then blamed me for crashing them.
#15 - Juls
DMR is a very good server. Best place for LX4, no doubt! For me the best FFB/sense of speed/immersion in LFS comes with LX4/LX6 on South City circuits.

I think some people racing online are in fact AI drivers pretending to be human beings. Online gaming is a very good way for AIs to heal their inferiority complex that way. Personnaly, I always ask AI drivers to do that when they feel down after reading the forums. We find together some very simlpe algorithm to imitate bad drivers behavior, and it helps them a lot to know some humans can be simulated with such simple algorithm:

1- accelerate
2- if bump then ban
3- goto 1
Quote from Alkanphel :The CTRA guys keep wanting us to file reports against crashers, but it really does not help the situation right now, where almost a quarter of the guys do not get through T1 and T2. It is frustrating to get bumped out accidentally, and for some reason the car gets flung high up and smashed around just because of a little knock.
If the damage system online could be like the offline kind, then we wont have this much trouble.

It's just going to happen I am afraid when you get big grids and drivers unfamiliar with grids and starts. If there was some training available that would help drivers with completing T1 that will help, but sadly currently the only way to practice is to do it 'live' on the servers, and some drivers learn faster than others.

Reports help the problem, but it's not the end solution. But saying that a good driver will almost always find themselves driving around wrecks. Most wrecks are avoidable, even T1 wrecks with the proper awareness, but that can only be learned with experience.

For you guys in the mid field the only words of advice I can give currently is brake early, and brake soft. Get those brake lights on so that the driver behind you has time to get the light to register in their brain and get them to get the brakes on. It will help. Another bit is to get on the inside, wreckers usually end up wide =) the last bit is patience, a 2-5 position drop off T1 is not as severe as a DNF.

Tier 1 is a harsh environment, but it's going to be when the drivers ability range from literally nothing other than NFS, to a seasoned professional sim racer.
Quote : If the damage system online could be like the offline kind, then we wont have this much trouble.

The problem isnt damage, you should be able to complete an entire race without crashing or your just not good enough. From experience, drivers who dont crash at T1 dont crash because they are safe. Drivers who where "wrecked by someone" are not safe.

I have had the odd accident at T1, and even made the odd mistake myself, but put me on a server full of new LFS drivers and i'm more likely to survive T1 than somebody who blames the server for their being wrecked.

Brake softly. Brake early. Be predictable.
Quote from Becky Rose : Brake softly. Brake early. Be predictable.

Everybody should listen to that advice... makes it easier for people like me to get past
Quote from adulterated :Get off this damn game and get NASCAR 2003 for your PC. Much better Ai and the physics are actually more closer to reality than LFS is. You will not save every slide or spinout that is for sure.

This game will never become mainstream due to the way online players act.

Get off your damn cheap ass and buy S2

Don't complain about the way online players act, you haven't seen S2 servers...

And I have yet to see a EA game with better physics than LFS. Unless you consider physics how easy it is to ride along a wall at 200mph+ in order to win
Seems like the devs only release updates to LFS once a year around xmas time. Gonna be a while. They take the rest of the year off I guess. AI was on the list last year but they didn't get around to it. It would have been nice for them to at least attempt some AI improvements in the off season but I guess we'll have to wait til Christmas again for something new.
hehe...all I want for Christmas is U...I mean Z
Quote from adulterated :This game will never become mainstream due to the way online players act.

The standard of driving on a lot of LFS public servers is the best I've seen outside of organised league racing.

Of course you wouldn't know that seeing as you've only driven on demo servers.

The standard of driving on Demo servers is bound to be bad, bordering on complete anarchy at times. That's what happens with a free product.

The threat of being banned from servers for poor behaviour tends to limit stupidity when you've paid for a license.
Quote from adulterated :Get off this damn game and get NASCAR 2003 for your PC. Much better Ai and the physics are actually more closer to reality than LFS is. You will not save every slide or spinout that is for sure.

That's just not true. The game (at this stage) has not been marketed for the mainstream as it is still in alpha stages and not ready for mass advertising and a roll out.

I can not stress enough the difference in online driver skill and behaviour from Demo to S2. I race on predominantly the same server with my team (Out of Control Racing @ ProRacingRoom#1) and we have awesome, fast, clean racing happening every night. No wreckers, no laggers as the Admin team is on the ball the entire time.

@Adulterated: Get off demo and give it S2 a shot before you slag off the game and its players.

@OP: Yes the AI aren't great, but they're much faster since Patch Y and if you take them ignoring you into consideration, they can offer fun and a good learning curve for new players. This game has become immeasurably more fun for me since having found a good server with a good Admin team. There's plenty out there, just be patient and find one that suits.
I disagree somewhat, LFS IS ready for a mass rollout in it's current stage. It offers some great gameplay and good graphics. It also has some nice unique features. LFS IMO could easily be placed on the market and snatched up. Rock steady connection on the internet, Out of the 5 years I have played LFS I can count on a single hand how many times it has locked on me, which I cannot say about every other commercially available sim out on the market today.

BUT....

It's not ready because the devs are not happy currently with the current build. It doesn't have the features they would like to see or the content to be considered 'finalized' and because of that they refuse to place it on the market, which is IMO is a good move based on what LFS is trying to accomplish.

IMO LFS is not trying to make X amount of dollars, which lets face it every other game available on the market is about. Sure we pay for LFS, but it's pennies and is just enough so that the devs live comfortably while they produce their love.

Money is the main goal for any product released commerically. If they were not interested in money they wouldn't feel the need to release it in a commercial manner.

There's a difference between people who didnt buy the game, who all they do is wrecking because they are new to the game, and people on S2 who are much more experienced.

You only no the first ones, so you shouldnt be talking about sumit you dont no.

proper AI needed quickly
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG