The online racing simulator
GTA IV: A worthy racing game?
(76 posts, started )
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :So far the best moment for me is on the first island, running from the fuzz, and reach the (what I know call) 'Monument Roundabout' on the first Island which has a nice crest before entering into a large roundabout. Anyway I have the fuzz on my tail and approaching at a fair spped, by the time I realised I was going to fast I was airborine straight through the monument, however the cops behind me were'nt so lucky and straight into the structure and surronding people....it was one of those moments which truely merit a 'Whoa f**k that was close'.

The car damage is great, however there is one thing so far that I have'nt been able to do, and thats slide across the bonnet of a car like 'Starksy & Hutch' It's needed on the online Cops 'N' Robbers game

I love that roundabout, you get some serious air off of that thing. You can't starsky and hutch it, but you can jump on the roof and unload your M16 into a few baddies. I have just completed the story, I can see how there are multiple endings, you need to make careful choices in the last few missions.

The cars don't have a proper cockpit view, but they have 3D interiors, the view you get is on the bonnet (hood). I never use it anyway, you need the outside views to see whats going on most of the time.
Quote from thisnameistaken :So I take it the throttle/brake/steering are no longer just on/off? Do they use axes for them now?

Yep now its not off/on, with Xbox 360 you have triggers on controller, and you can smoothly press them, so its pretty good to cruise.
Quote from [RF]-art555 :d-pad and start, select buttons are digital, all other are analogue on PS2 pad (tested myself)

On a PC? My USB adapter doesn't give me analogue control on the buttons - they're off/on. What adapter are you using?

The sticks are analogue in most games but I don't think they were in GTA when I tried it. I've still got San Andreas installed so I'll check...
Quote from thisnameistaken :On a PC? My USB adapter doesn't give me analogue control on the buttons - they're off/on. What adapter are you using?

The sticks are analogue in most games but I don't think they were in GTA when I tried it. I've still got San Andreas installed so I'll check...

I was talking about PS2, not PC, sorry for misunderstanding
I was just reading an interview with Rockstar about the physics, apparently they have "proper" tyre curves, which also get modified when the weather changes.

So they are a fair bit improved on from previous GTA games, thats for sure.
Yeah, when it rains it gets real slippy.

The driving physics shouldn't be expected to be stunning, but for a GTA game they certainly have moved very close to "realistic"

Its kinda like when racing games pretend to be realistic, though I wouldn't even put them on th GT level. It is most definitely a step forward though, even though it can put a happer on the shinanigans...and remind you how much it sucks trying to drive a POS economy car at 10/10ths.

It is good though that it keeps you from running around flat out all the time, with elevation changes you really have to brake and adjust your speed to keep the car settled/on the ground.

I'm just now really starting to get the hang of it where is can keep the speed up pretty consistantly. The porsche owns.

I don't think SA was completely analog, as I always seemed to notice a difference between light braking into turns and mashing the brake pedal...but it wasn't anything near what it is now. In fact I'm 80% sure SA was 3 position, off/half/full, You could lightly hold gas to go slower IIRC but I think it was one speed or the other. Driving slow is brilliant now. Good enough that I spend a bit of my time driving closer to 7 or 8 10ths
Quote from Rtsbasic :Have been enjoying some intense multiplayer racing in GTA:IV tonight, anyone else here trying it?

Along the lines of the argument against drifting/cruising/screwingaround in LFS:
Grand Theft Auto!
Thats a point actually, you can drift really well in some of the cars, but its hard to control. The best part of being good at driving is freaking out the people in your car online. When I was playing Cops and Crooks I was the boss and stole my favourite car, I was driving as I usually do, flat out through traffic without a touch of the brake. They were all having a go at me saying I would crash and I should slow down, it was hilarious when I did my handbrake turn stuff. 180 into a reverse 180, a very useful move to avoid gunfire.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :How does the cockpit of the cars look?

Any screenshots?

No cockpit view, there's an interior view when your in the back of a taxi. Closest thing to cockpit view is when you drive yourself and use bonnet cam
My best "WTF!" moment so far was online in Deal Breaker, with me and 2 guys in a Sultan (which btw handles <3). Another guy was floating around somewhere in a truck. So we were chasing one of the bikes, and were coming up to a T-Junction. I sped up to try and draw level with the bike so that I could spin him out on the corner, but he was dam fast. So we were just coming onto the corner, and next thing the truck cut straight across us, T-Boning the bike

He went flying for about 200 yards down the road, and he was still alive So I got out and shot him with my AK It was amazing to see it, and everyone in the car was like "AHHHH!" and he guy in the truck pissing himself laughing...Gotta <3 online GTA
Seems like i really have to get a PS4 and GTA IV... damn money !
GTA IV is by far the best console game I have played in years....its almost makes me want to buy one

The physics as already stated on here are almost perfected for GTA I think...within the surroundings of Liberty City, all the obstacles, all the crazy corners, all the stunts needed to be pulled to get away from the cops you cant have simulation, however they have added realism where they felt it added more depth to the game and added arcady physics...such as strong car traction to make the game playable.

The only problem I see if the FPS slowdown when going very quickly through busy areas....ecspecially when your on the full 1080p HD quality resolution, luckly though the blurring effect helps alot into smoothing out the gameplay in these situations.

Also.....have any of you tried to drive when he's drunk? I did actually make me feel sick

10/10 game, anyone with XB360 or PS3 should get it...one of the best games I have ever player and certainly the best game for either of these consoles...until timesplitters 4 ()
Gah!! I can't take it! I'm buying a 360 when I get paid next!
Argghh, some one please. Screenshot of the Car cockpit... Please!
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Argghh, some one please. Screenshot of the Car cockpit... Please!

Someone teach this boy to read! Oh the game sucks now it doesn't have a cockpit view? Fair enough, go buy Test Drive Unlimited instead, that has nice shiney 3D "cockpits", good luck when the game gets corrupted and you can't even uninstall it.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Someone teach this boy to read!

Well, lol

hotmail said that there WAS a cockpit. I turned into a searchmachine but couldn't find it.

Oh, btw I didnt read those other posts. I know, I'm a lazyass dutch

E: TDU, loooooong story...

E2 : Atari sux - muhahah
Yes you are The lack of a cockpit view makes no difference because the best view to use is the chase cam. I would understand being annoyed if it was a racing game that didn't have it, but its not.
And I'm just jealous that everybody has GTA4 and I DON'T. And I'm not going to buy a PS3 or Xbox because I already gave enough money for my PC . The old man wont give a pennie anymore
Yes, the physics aren't exactly LFS (or even rFactor ), but they do rock as a console game. I don't think graphics can get any better in the foreseeable future. Especially not on a game of this size. It looks bang on, and plays even better. Plus online? I would easily pay double what it's selling at in shops.

PS. Don't buy a 360 for it, buy a PS3
Quote from Takumi_lfs :And I'm just jealous that everybody has GTA4 and I DON'T. And I'm not going to buy a PS3 or Xbox because I already gave enough money for my PC . The old man wont give a pennie anymore

A cockpit view would be difficult anyway, since on the GTA race online mode you can pick up weapons and shoot outside the window \o/

Blowing out thier tires, making em blowup so they respawn on a moped lol.....always satisfying.
No, No, No, No.... No console for me... I'd rather buy a 9800gx2 instead of a ps3. Games are also very expensive on the ps3 and xbox. And no, im not that stupid to buy a console for one game.
Same here, I would prefer a better PC....so I will wait got GTA IV to come on the PC...I dont think atm though my PC could handle something like that having seen what its like on the consoles...buts its reyt.
Quote from spacedskunk :Same here, I would prefer a better PC....so I will wait got GTA IV to come on the PC...I dont think atm though my PC could handle something like that having seen what its like on the consoles...buts its reyt.

Rockstar have said they doubt they will even make a version for the PC, and they are not even thinking about it yet. So you could be waiting years for it, rather than months.

GTA IV: A worthy racing game?
(76 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG