The online racing simulator
GTA IV: A worthy racing game?
(76 posts, started )
Have been enjoying some intense multiplayer racing in GTA:IV tonight, anyone else here trying it? Thought I'd try it as a change from the normal multiplayer options, and I'm hooked. Takes 20 secs to set up a 16 player race, in ranked races it seems to pair you up with racers on the same approx level as you, works well. Everything's available - supercars to SUV's, motorbikes to boats, fantastic stuff Didn't expect a decent arcade racer from a GTA title.
How are the physics? I can't imagine them being very good but I haven't played it yet
Quote from AjRose :How are the physics? I can't imagine them being very good but I haven't played it yet

They are not LFS standard, more like Gran Turismo with a bit more oversteer really. You have to slow down for turns quite a lot, and the handling varies a lot between different vehicles. The handbrake is much better now, if you jam it on when your flying full speed into a turn, you will just spin out and hit a wall. The best part is the physics when you flip a car, and the car damage is amazing. I flipped off a highway in a heavy pickup and landed on a parked car, it looked like a pancake afterwards. Its definately much harder and takes a lot of skill to drive fast and not crash, especially when you have people shooting at you. You can also blow out your tyres by doing burnouts, and the tyres catch fire if you drive over fire, then they burst.
I'm off to buy the game now!
I recalled reading an article saying the car physics were getting an overhaul - since the game originally revolved around driving. Glad to see they stepped up to the semi-sim level with them, should make the driving much, much more fun. I think I _might_ actually buy a PS3 this summer... Anyone know what the GTA IV PC release date is?
Quote from MAGGOT :I recalled reading an article saying the car physics were getting an overhaul - since the game originally revolved around driving. Glad to see they stepped up to the semi-sim level with them, should make the driving much, much more fun. I think I _might_ actually buy a PS3 this summer... Anyone know what the GTA IV PC release date is?

6 months from now
Ehh I dont know if I want to wait for the PC release or buy a 360.. It sounds sick though
I tell you what would be good. Being able to do the driving bits with you G25 and then switch to a controller for the walking bits Could be a little tricky though
might be a little hard to aim and shoot with a g25
I played it today at briefly at school (a friend brought his xbox360). Better physics then the other GTAs but still lacking. Also, you press the throttle down and it slowly climbs instead of moving instantly.
Quote from MAGGOT :I recalled reading an article saying the car physics were getting an overhaul - since the game originally revolved around driving. Glad to see they stepped up to the semi-sim level with them, should make the driving much, much more fun.

Semi-sim?! Watch some video and you'll see not exactly that...

Quote :I think I _might_ actually buy a PS3 this summer... Anyone know what the GTA IV PC release date is?

Theres no date. Yet. Or if there ever is going to be in the first place. It's expected though but never officially confirmed.
i'm not have the game also see a various videos of youtube and the cars feels like real life, the comparation is a semi arcade o half racing stile

excuse my bad English
The physics are actually pretty good for an arcade shooter.

No longer can you haul the hand-brake on at 100mph and do a perfect slide around a corner, which has got some GTA kiddies in a tizz.

All the cars now have lots of inertia and weight transfer (albeit a little exagerated) but overall the physics are VERY nice.

I had a couple of nice situations,

1) flying along chasing a guy on a motorbike I wanted to steal, we came up to a dock on the waterside, he noticed, I didn't he swung the bike round and ended up level with the dock, I proceeded to hit him, forcing me out of the windscreen, and him and his bike into the water with me following close behind in a superman pose.

2) Riding a moped back to my safe house when the traffic lights go red, the 2 cars in front slam the anchors on, I hit the rear of the 2nd car, making him hit and damage the car infront, and sending my flying over both cars and landing on my back infront of the first car.

Doesn't sound that ground breaking in text, but the way it all works is lovely..
When they release the PC version if the controls are anything like the PC version of San Andreas, you can use your g25 for driving, mouse & keyboard for walking & shooting, joystick for flying, etc.

It's definitely not going to be anytime soon though, as this game is making people buy consoles specifically to play it, and they won't want to stop that.
yes it has got cocpit view , and no its not a racing game,

but its a game what can enjoy your self pitty pitty much.

it ust a very very nice game
One of the more suprising elements about the racing, with physics closer to reality than any GTA-type game before, is how many people will take it seriously, have had some very good races.

Had a funny moment last night - racing in a pack of motorbikes at pretty high speed, crested over a steep hill - i'd been gaining speed by taking smoother lines, overtook 2 bikes mid-air, landed with a small skid and a flash of sparks just infront of them, and carried on. Looks much more epic when your there playing

The accident damage is good as well..last night I failed to notice a car coming out a sideroad when I was racing, plowed straight into the back of it on a bike, thought I was superman, for a split sec until I heard the rather nasty noise of my body wrapping itself around a suspended signpost, and slowly crumple to the floor, where I got hit by a taxi anyway.

Everything just flows together so nicely, its rare a game pulls that off so well.
Has anyone tried getting their characters drunk, then doing a race?
It's nice to hear that they gave up the supermarket kart physics for the driving and jump to something a little bit more interesting.

I might give it a try when it will be available on PC
One of the great things is that with the new controls for the 360 you can actually drive slowly, and it feels really nice. In the old GTA games the driving was horrible at any speed below flat out. In some missions you actually have to drive slow, like when some nervous idiot is trying to give you bloody directions.

The videos or our text can't really do it justice, when your driving the physics are great, but they become stunning when you crash. The cars engines bugger up too, they start spewing out smoke and backfiring when they are too bashed up, and you can wreck the suspension so your wheel is hanging at a funny angle.
So far the best moment for me is on the first island, running from the fuzz, and reach the (what I know call) 'Monument Roundabout' on the first Island which has a nice crest before entering into a large roundabout. Anyway I have the fuzz on my tail and approaching at a fair spped, by the time I realised I was going to fast I was airborine straight through the monument, however the cops behind me were'nt so lucky and straight into the structure and surronding people....it was one of those moments which truely merit a 'Whoa f**k that was close'.

The car damage is great, however there is one thing so far that I have'nt been able to do, and thats slide across the bonnet of a car like 'Starksy & Hutch' It's needed on the online Cops 'N' Robbers game
So I take it the throttle/brake/steering are no longer just on/off? Do they use axes for them now?
They are analog, but then again, I thought/think they always have been..........
Hmm... It's a while since I played them but I plugged in a PS2 pad for a while to see if analogue control would be better and IIRC the direction sticks were digital.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Hmm... It's a while since I played them but I plugged in a PS2 pad for a while to see if analogue control would be better and IIRC the direction sticks were digital.

d-pad and start, select buttons are digital, all other are analogue on PS2 pad (tested myself)
How does the cockpit of the cars look?

Any screenshots?

(76 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG