The online racing simulator
Not to mention many of the d1 people are or used to race succesfully at JGTC races. Keiichi Tsuchiya said that the reason he started drifting was to give his fans a show because no one in his local area came close to his speeds. Drifting should be thought of as a fun motorsport, and not because someone "can't" race properly. I would bet that if a one year drifter took all of the track time he has spent rifting, and turned it into club racing, he could be a fairly quick racecar driver.
But he decided to drift, an he has a different sort of FUN.
Another bump of this worthless thread by... TADAH! ...a drifter.
Quote from March Hare :Another bump of this worthless thread by... TADAH! ...a drifter.

And your point is?

Many race drivers have started drifting becouse it`s more exciting way to drive a corner. Sure, F1`s and quite exciting to drive with very high cornering speeds, but if I could, I would do the same speed on the same corner sideways, becouse it`s more exciting...

I definitely have nothing against grippers, becouse in my opinion every drifter who want`s to be good, needs to know the right driving lines.

Only motorbike race at Isle of Man would be more an adrenaline rush than going sideways at 100mph / 160kmh. I don`t have much driving experience on a real car, but going sideways at even at such low speed as 80kmh was more scary than doing 170kmh on a narrow country road.

I love every form of motorsport, no matter if it was motorbikes, F1, karting, drifting, drag racing, NASCAR etc...
Well drifting takes more practice to get right, but actual racing is alot more complicated and takes alot more concentration.
But yeah.. some people like drifting, some people like driving. Just because you dont share the same interests doesent mean the other sport/style isnt good does it?
Everybody can drive a car, change gears, turn the wheel. Drifting is much more different. Things are not so easy, you need skills.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Everybody can drive a car, change gears, turn the wheel. Drifting is much more different. Things are not so easy, you need skills.

They both require the same amount of skill, though drifting just needs more practice.
Quote from NathanRx-7 :They both require the same amount of skill, though drifting just needs more practice.

If you can drift pretty well, then you must have no problems with driving a damn fast car
Quote from Töki (HUN) :If you can drift pretty well, then you must have no problems with driving a damn fast car

I can drift well, and I find it rather hard to drive with them.
Quote from Qvarnis :I love every form of motorsport, no matter if it was motorbikes, F1, karting, drifting, drag racing, NASCAR etc...

Well said.

It's only in geek sim world that people show that they dislike a motorsport that they didn't even experienced first hand in real life.

edit:

NathanRX-7: Define "I can drift well". Anyway - about drifters being able to race fast, and racers being able to drift very well. It's not literally like that. There are lfs players who can both drift very good, and also race very good. It all comes from practicing both forms of motorsport. It's also a fact of how well you feel a car in a computer game literally. The longer you play, the better you feel it. The better you feel the car in game, the faster you will improve at both - drifting and racing. IMO.
Quote from kamkorPL :Well said.

It's only in geek sim world that people show that they dislike a motorsport that they didn't even experienced first hand in real life.

You could say you dislike the motorsport IN the game though.
Nathan: Maybe, but I have read so many of those "drift vs race", "why dislike drifting" etc. threads and I have never seen someone disliking ie. drifting, saying: "I dislike this motorsport in a game, but in real life I don't". I understand your arguement, but at the same time don't see much sense in it.
one of the biggest issues is that people often think they are better at drifting than they really are. because there is no way to guage there performance on LFS (if someone says that drift score thing im gonna fly over and give u a swift kick to the ovaries) they just think they have mastered it. just like someone not familiar with racing can look at 2 totally different level racers and not see any major difference, luckily for racing its easy to guage, just look at the clock.

unfortunately most people look at drifitng and think, ok so all i have to do is get my car sideways and ive mastered it, they get their car sideways, then think owell this is drifitng, ive already mastered it, drift is easy.

drift is actually a lot more complicated than what probably 97% of the people in this thread think.
thread views: 6,666

Quote from NathanRx-7 :but actual racing is alot more complicated and takes alot more concentration

how so? u think throwing ur car sideways at 150-200k's side by side with another car doesnt take concentration?

also as far as complication goes, thats more to do with what stage racing is vs drift, drift is still a relatively new sport in the mainstream, and although it is the fastest growing motorsport, its still not at the competitive level as racing. but dont worry, as the budgets go up and the stakes higher, u will see similar development to drift.
Quote from nisskid :how so? u think throwing ur car sideways at 150-200k's side by side with another car doesnt take concentration?

also as far as complication goes, thats more to do with what stage racing is vs drift, drift is still a relatively new sport in the mainstream, and although it is the fastest growing motorsport, its still not at the competitive level as racing. but dont worry, as the budgets go up and the stakes higher, u will see similar development to drift.

Yes it does take alot of concentration, but with racing you have to really be in it, and master the lines etc... Plus, you're going alot faster.
You're drifting around a corner, and hit the wall doing 80 or so, but if you're in a race then you'll probably be going round the corner at 120+.. or entering at least, so racing is more fast paced.

Quote :one of the biggest issues is that people often think they are better at drifting than they really are. because there is no way to guage there performance on LFS (if someone says that drift score thing im gonna fly over and give u a swift kick to the ovaries) they just think they have mastered it. just like someone not familiar with racing can look at 2 totally different level racers and not see any major difference, luckily for racing its easy to guage, just look at the clock.

unfortunately most people look at drifitng and think, ok so all i have to do is get my car sideways and ive mastered it, they get their car sideways, then think owell this is drifitng, ive already mastered it, drift is easy.

drift is actually a lot more complicated than what probably 97% of the people in this thread think.

Yes it is. And what seems to happen alot of the time is, people are able to drift well in LFS then think they can drift in real life.
LFS may be a simulator, but theres still some differences. IE if you hit a wall doing 120 you'll probably die.
Quote from NathanRx-7 :
LFS may be a simulator, but theres still some differences. IE if you hit a wall doing 120 you'll probably die.

Unless your car has all those safety precautions like NASCAR so crashing at 200 mph is less dangerous.
Quote from NathanRx-7 :Yes it is. And what seems to happen alot of the time is, people are able to drift well in LFS then think they can drift in real life.

It would be a bit crap if the devs implemented driver health into it, leading an endurance race and randomly dropping dead from a heart attack wouldn't go well in a racing game.

Drifting and Racing are totally different things, people who try to say they're the same are wrong. Drifting is here for fun, some people aren't aliens at hotlapping or aren't great overtakers, so maybe they don't want to race against the best and lose everytime. Drifting is something that everyone can do with a little practice, some people just can't do racing at all.

Racing is for the people who can race, if they can hotlap well and are good at overtaking, then thats what gives them the buzz.

Its all about personal preference - what your good at and what your not - we can't judge a group on something they do, thats just as bad as racism.

We wouldn't see a figure skater running in the 100M sprint in the olympics, just because he was called a noob, would we?

Oh just one more thing. This huge stereotype that people have over drifters being idiotic kids who scream and shout at you is wrong. Yes, the majority of people who only drift are like this - they don't follow good conduct and/or politeness. But just remember - there are those who don't scream and shout and wreck, and those people sometimes get offended when you call everyone "retarded drifters".

/end.
^^^ Point stressed. Now, where is the TC?
This is the umptyumpth time this same thing has been discussed in this thread. It's the umptyumpth to the power of umptyumpth time it has been discussed on these forums.

Again a drifter bumped this thread to state how drifting is so great. How many racers have bumped this to say how they dislike drifting?

Why can't you drifters leave this topic alone? Why can't you accept the fact that many people don't want to hear your whining about how drifting is harder than racing and how racers don't like drifters and yadda yadda blah blah... etc.

Give it a rest will you!

You want to drift. Is anyone preventing you from drifting in LFS? I don't think so. Naturally if you go to a race server and start drifting you are bound to get kicked. The fact is that you are a slow moving hazard on the track and are preventing the racers from doing their thing. Trying to drive as fast as possible.

I wish a mod would lock this thread because it's been going around in circles for the past few months or so.

Drifters, go drift! And stop being so insecure. Do your thing and don't give a rats ass about what other people say.
Racers, go race!
Those who do both, do them on the appropriate servers.

@Nathan, you might be a good drifter but your racing needs a lot of work. Smoothness is the key. With practise you can become a good one. Unlike me who'll always be slow and can't pass people. Hope to see you in the next event.
Quote from NathanRx-7 :Yes it does take alot of concentration, but with racing you have to really be in it, and master the lines etc... Plus, you're going alot faster.
You're drifting around a corner, and hit the wall doing 80 or so, but if you're in a race then you'll probably be going round the corner at 120+.. or entering at least, so racing is more fast paced.

speed is only one element, controlling a car within the boundaries of grip is a lot easier than one over the boundaries. with show drift, at a top level the drivers enter into corners at about the same speed as grip, well, with identical cars. the difference is drift wipes off speed a lot quicker and doesnt have the exit speed.

i dont know if uve ever thrown a car sideways at over 100k's coming into a corner, but its a pretty bloody intense thing to do for the first few times and u need to be concentrating heaps as drifting through a corner is a lot more eventful than gripping through it, and u need to be watching things a lot more, quite simply because ur sideways and u have another car next to u that may be trying to pass u, or ur trying to pass him, all the time being judged on.

Quote from NathanRx-7 :Yes it is. And what seems to happen alot of the time is, people are able to drift well in LFS then think they can drift in real life.

not sure the relevance of this, but its a point that i agree on and have tried to argue on here before. people dont seem to like being told that they arnt actually drift king because they can drift half well on a game.
Quote from March Hare :This is the umptyumpth time this same thing has been discussed in this thread. It's the umptyumpth to the power of umptyumpth time it has been discussed on these forums.

Again a drifter bumped this thread to state how drifting is so great. How many racers have bumped this to say how they dislike drifting?

Why can't you drifters leave this topic alone? Why can't you accept the fact that many people don't want to hear your whining about how drifting is harder than racing and how racers don't like drifters and yadda yadda blah blah... etc.

Give it a rest will you!

You want to drift. Is anyone preventing you from drifting in LFS? I don't think so. Naturally if you go to a race server and start drifting you are bound to get kicked. The fact is that you are a slow moving hazard on the track and are preventing the racers from doing their thing. Trying to drive as fast as possible.

I wish a mod would lock this thread because it's been going around in circles for the past few months or so.

Drifters, go drift! And stop being so insecure. Do your thing and don't give a rats ass about what other people say.
Racers, go race!
Those who do both, do them on the appropriate servers.

@Nathan, you might be a good drifter but your racing needs a lot of work. Smoothness is the key. With practise you can become a good one. Unlike me who'll always be slow and can't pass people. Hope to see you in the next event.

Umm, I wasn't saying drifting is harder, if you referred to me. And I like to race too.
He wasn't referring to you... he was speaking generally. And he has a point there.

PS: What the hell is "umptyumpth"?!
I promised myself not to take part in any drift related thread on these forums anymore. But to clear a few things:

1. My rant was not directed to any individual but the whole of the LFS community.

Quote from jibber :PS: What the hell is "umptyumpth"?!

A very big imaginary number.
This thread is closed

What's the fascination with drifting!?
(354 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG