The online racing simulator
Mafia 2 is Official + screens
(171 posts, started )
the trailer is great! CANT WAIT....to get a new pc to play this game...
Quote from Dillyracer :Those faces are just great

But looks CGI. Face animations were quite advanced in the first Mafia also but I'd doubt that's ingame.

Yeah, the bombers are nice detail. Sure it's based on late 40's or early 50's.
I think the first and last talking scenes were in game cut scenes, or a level that could be expected. The middle could mostly be either, but is obviously either cut scenes CGI or the in game camera has taken a turn for the worst, only bit that I'm fairly certain is CG was the bit with the car splashing through the puddle.
This scene might be ingame, compared to the released screenshots. The guy even crouches in the video.

Regarding that from the screenshots the game looks somehow advanced in the development stage, of course there's possibility that it's some kind of combination of ingame and CGI, like the intro movie in the original game.

This is funny http://youtube.com/watch?v=iEeZi2pb48c
Hmm... the game(talking about Mafia 1 here) keeps crashing after I kill everyone in the "Priest" mission. The screen just goes black and eventually to desktop, no error message or anything. I´ve done the mission atleast 5 times now, every time I get the same thing. Any ideas?
Quote from Kalev EST :Hmm... the game(talking about Mafia 1 here) keeps crashing after I kill everyone in the "Priest" mission. The screen just goes black and eventually to desktop, no error message or anything. I´ve done the mission atleast 5 times now, every time I get the same thing. Any ideas?

Have you got the latest patch? If you've got the Sold Out disc version the patch is already loose on the disc (of course I found this out after downloading it). Other than that no ideas, you could just download a save game, and choose to continue playing from the mission afterwards.
In Mafia 1, has anyone actually seen that "welcome to lost heaven" sign with the blown up car beside it? I drove through the whole game looking for it, and I can't find it!

BTW I can't wait for Mafia 2, anyone know when it will be released? This year? Next year?
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :In Mafia 1, has anyone actually seen that "welcome to lost heaven" sign with the blown up car beside it? I drove through the whole game looking for it, and I can't find it!

BTW I can't wait for Mafia 2, anyone know when it will be released? This year? Next year?

That sign with the car is in the City of Lost Dreams mod
Couple of new small screenshots:

http://games.tiscali.cz/news/news.asp?id=26425
http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen.asp?id=12318

Don't know where it says it in that, but apparently release could be December 2008. And platforms PC (at least now it's finally confirmed), X360 and PS3. I wish they don't consolize this...

ps. THAT BLOOM IS FREAKIN' HORRIBLE! The old screenshots look ok'ish (compared to 99,8% of other games using lame-o-bloom), maybe it looks now so crap because those are clearly magazine scans...
That bloom is horrible, I hope there's an option to turn it off.
cool too bad i never found Mafia 1 here yet
Quote from GT Touring :cool too bad i never found Mafia 1 here yet

Go and punish yourself, right away!!
You MUST play the original Mafia, there's no excuse for that
Quote from deggis :
Don't know where it says it in that, but apparently release could be December 2008.

I got a PC gaming magazine lying somewhere around the house, I remember them giving the release date...will check tomorrow...
I love the video on Xbox Live for this game. I don't think there's any gameplay in it, but it's all in-engine and it's damn sweet. Smoke seems to blow pretty realistically, water looks great. Looks like it has a proper cover system too. And your character looks like a young Brando, which is kinda cool.
The HDR bloom also didn't look so strong in that vid either.

If it is coming out in 2008 it'll be near the end.

[Edit:
Some new pics up: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=184142

The car there looks like a Ford Crestline, meaning the setting will be around 1954 for the second game. I love my classic American cars ]
Quote from Dajmin :I love the video on Xbox Live for this game. I don't think there's any gameplay in it, but it's all in-engine and it's damn sweet.

Partly rendered. I think so. There's at least one ingame scene though.

Same screenshots that in your link, but in full size now:

http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/screen.asp?id=12318

That bloom is still hideous. I don't think they'll be reduring it, unfortunately nowadays bloom = WOOAH IT'S SO NEXT GEN(tm).

German WWII "import stuff"
#95 - JTbo
Send them mail about it and tell you don't like bloom, maybe they will listen?

Mafia 2 homepage
Quote from JTbo :Send them mail about it and tell you don't like bloom, maybe they will listen?

Mafia 2 homepage

And also the cars need to have your damage physics from the rF's 360?
#97 - JTbo
Quote from Scrabby :And also the cars need to have your damage physics from the rF's 360?

That would not be bad starting point, but surely they should be able to do better
Quote :http://games.tiscali.cz/news/news.asp?id=26917

Mafia 2 first details (7.4.2008 01:01)

* Two main heroes with completely different characters: although you'll only be able to play as Vito, the other (named Joe) will play an important part in the story, not being limited to a supporting role.
* Not a direct sequel / no story connectivity; in fact, you won't have to know the first game.
* Extensive car damage, with physical destruction model supposedly even more detailed and prettier than the one from the acclaimed Burnout Paradise (according to the journalists at press presentation) with damaged car body, broken glass or exploding gas tanks.

* Not only you'll have to stop at gas stations for refueling your car, but you'll also be able to undergo a car wash and hence get rid of all the dust that your car has been picking.
* Money important for shopping (new clothes to get rid of pursuers) or visiting restaurants, which is where you'll have your hero strengthen up a bit by eating some (similar as in GTA San Andreas).
* Pastel colors and an art style at times reminding of BioShock.
* Confirmed the presence of Gears of War-like cover system, as suggested by recent screenshot.

* Story beginning shortly before the end of the World War II, which is when Vito comes back from war duty at Europe.
* Set in a fictional American city Empire City with size around 10 km2 (about twice as big as built-up area in original Lost Heaven city from the first Mafia) with tens of unique quarters, inspired mostly by San Francisco.
* Lead platforms X360/PS3, while the PC version should launch supposedly weeks or months afterwards, although this too could change depending on the current state of the gaming market.
* Release date still wasn't specified, but the journalists are expecting the game to ship in late spring/summer 2009.

More interesting details in various print magazines coming to the outlets this week.

And bloom still sucks. I just don't get this. Why RUIN the graphics with this effect which looks exactly like your monitor has 1 cm layer of vaselin?! Graphics looks very detailed and especially lightning looks nice. Without bloom would look definitely better, like most games do. Everyone who thinks this bloom makes graphics better and more realistic must have an eyesight comparable to 80-year-old person.

I'm sure there's an option to disable bloom.

Anyway. I was pondering the same thing a couple of nights ago while playing Arma.

Think about if the progress of 3D engines would have gone a different route in the past. Instead of everything getting more and more shiny, bloomy and over saturated, what if Carmack and folks would have done everything to make the smoke perfect?

Next gen smoke would dissipate like the real thing and so on. Would be cool for war games for sure. But in the end I'm sure we'd be in the same spot as we are now: Cursing how we can't see shit in Doom3's smoke filled corridors while the hero can only wield a gun OR a hand-held fan to desperately blow away some smoke.

Or how Mafia2 would look really good but taking place in a Los Angeles under an extreme smog attack.
I'm already panicking on what to do with this..

- my pc can't handle it
- I'm too cheap to buy a playstation or 360

I'm screeewed

Mafia 2 is Official + screens
(171 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG