The online racing simulator
sorry but your WRONG no evo has traction control, and since when was abs computer controlled? and abs is hardly a feature only found on evo's is it, all it has is active yaw control which is only a hydralicly controlled lsd on the rear axle(not all 4 wheels) that transfers the power to the wheel with the most grip.... same princples as a lsd which unless the car was made in the 50's all decent rwd cars should have..... now the later evo's 7,8,9's have a active centre diff aswell but all that does is to a have a preset delay time on the clamping force of the center diff clutch. the time changes weather its set to tarmac gravel or snow settings. oo000 the cars driving itself..... nabs
Never driven an Evo but i loved my s14 200sx (well thats what there called in Oz) it was a hoot to drive with all the sideways action you could want.

And yes it was stock, no front mounts or turbos the size of small houses

Should never have sold it for that shitbox Vx Commodore Club Sport, worse gearbox in history and a complete dog of a Chev Gen3 motor.
wiki are not entirely correct but:

"Active yaw control is based on a computer-controlled rear differential which can actively split torque based on input from various accelerometers in the vehicle measuring longitudinal and lateral g forces, steering, brakes and throttle position."

AYC is really an automatic understeer killing mechanism, on other cars where you have to use throttle lift off or braking to aid front end grip, the AYC will just sense what you want to do, distribute the torque accordingly and kill the understeer, and driver just has to keep the foot on the gas and it will keep turning.

So it is 100% a electronic driving aid.
Quote from andybarsblade :and since when was abs computer controlled?

since forever?
honestly you dont appear to know anything about car electronics so my advice is to stop right there before you make yourself look even dumber than you currently do
shotglass i suggest you shut up, there is a difference between electronic and computer contolled idiot, my kettle is electric but it is not computer controlled, from wiki

A typical ABS is composed of a central electronic unit, four speed sensors (one for each wheel), and two or more hydraulic valves on the brake circuit. The electronic unit constantly monitors the rotation speed of each wheel. When it senses that any number of wheels are rotating considerably slower than the others (a condition that will bring it to lock[1]) it moves the valves to decrease the pressure on the braking circuit, effectively reducing the braking force on that wheel. The wheel(s) then turn faster and when they turn too fast, the force is reapplied. This process is repeated continuously, and this causes the characteristic pulsing feel through the brake pedal. A typical anti-lock system can apply and release braking pressure up to 20 times a second.

any mention of computers? no
so i suggest you shut up before you make yourself look stupid, im a ex mechanic and a fully qualified mechanical/electro rail engineer what do you do?
i give up trying to tell you the truth, you guys carry on believing "cars drive themselves" crap, but i will leave you with this... the fastest evo's and the one everyone in the know wants is the rs model which has now ayc no abs not even brembo 4pots, nothing just a stock 4wd system put a GSR model with the aids against an RS model and the RS will leave it for dead no matter what track/conditions. computers my arse
Quote from andybarsblade :any mention of computers? no

Quote :central electronic unit

aka a prgrammable dsp commonly knowns as a computer

Quote :im a ex mechanic and a fully qualified mechanical/electro rail engineer what do you do?

electric engineer just a few months away from getting my diploma (german equivalent of a master) with fairly extensive knowledge on dsp and the theory behind control engineering

you want some salt for that hat?
your a tard if you think a speed sensor activating a set of vavles is a computer. abs can even be mechanical, go finish school chump
Nice, Your E-penis is so big it won't fit in my screen.
Quote from andybarsblade :there is no computer controlled gizmo's driving the car for you and personally i dont believe that you have driven an evo, and even if you have i'll bet my left arm it was'nt round a track
anyway i dont care what you think of it, if a nonce in a hairdressers car doesnt like evo's because of how they are "styled" thats only another reason for me to like them :P

I already said the styling is a personal thing. The newer cars always look uglier than the old ones. My personal favourite, in terms of looks, is the V.

The Evo I drove was on a track - the track at Prestwold Hall. Twas an Evo VI, and we were initially allowed out with an instructor (apparently to teach us the lines and braking points, but they stayed pretty silent throughout, and not just for me either but for everyone except the mad people and girls ). We were then given free rein for about 5 laps, and the Evo was the only car not to have a silly low rev limiter either. So yes, I've done 5 laps in an Evo, on my own, although I didn't have racing experience at the time.

Quick? Absolutely!
Forgiving? Hell yeah, it'll sort your mistakes out before you know you've made them.
Fun and Involving? Nope, because of the second point.

I've only driven Imprezas on the road. I don't plan to bother doing so again. Unless I buy a farm.
fair play tristian,

my impreza was a uk bog standard one, it was fast but handled crap. dont know about the fancy spec c's or others ect but mine was a good everyday car
Quote from andybarsblade :your a tard if you think a speed sensor activating a set of vavles is a computer. abs can even be mechanical, go finish school chump

Hmmm... I think you're wrong with it but for what I've read I think it's not worthy... seems that you're *a little* of an EVO's fanatic one

So my point: I don't care about what is the fastest car cause I'm not racing in the streets nor I will compete in track (if I would enter a track with my car it would be for fun :nod.
So for me the most important thing it's the feeling when you drive a car and that's a very personal opinion. I'm on the tristan side so I like light and nice handling cars instead of over-powered whales, but I understand that other people get fun from other aspects (as flooring the gas and getting pushed in the seat).

So in my honest opinion, andy you're doing nothing but showing that you're a blind-fan of EVO's and you're not attending to reasons. Nice for me, but I think you're completly pointless

P.S: Sorry about my english, if you like to correct my grammar I'm always trying to learn
+1 if speed was all that matters the devs might as well remove all vehicles except the BMW F1 car.
Quote from Technique :+1 if speed was all that matters the devs might as well remove all vehicles except the BMW F1 car.

My favourite LFS cars XFG, XRG, LX6, RZ5 all are fun in there own ways
well i am an evo fan boy, but im not saying that they are the fastest best thing ever. im just trying to show you that they are not full of computers and so boring to drive that any idiot could be fast in one.
can any car designed to be used daily be considered a white knuckle driving by the seat of you pants ride?
Quote from andybarsblade :well i am an evo fan boy, but im not saying that they are the fastest best thing ever. im just trying to show you that they are not full of computers and so boring to drive that any idiot could be fast in one.

Re read your statement. You're completely deffensively. We are NOT attacking you (maybe tristan, but you know... ) and you're nothing but saying that EVO's are not full of computers, and that they don't drive for itselfs, etc...
But you can simply say: "Ok I love EVO's and I get fun driving computer-aids 4WD's" It's that so bad? Fun is something personal, don't let none say to you what's funny and what's not

If you feel offended about those saying that those cars are for people who don't know nothing about handling and about driving maybe is because you know there are a bit of reason in those words
Quote from andybarsblade :shotglass i suggest you shut up, there is a difference between electronic and computer contolled idiot, my kettle is electric but it is not computer controlled, from wiki

A typical ABS is composed of a central electronic unit, four speed sensors (one for each wheel), and two or more hydraulic valves on the brake circuit. The electronic unit constantly monitors the rotation speed of each wheel. When it senses that any number of wheels are rotating considerably slower than the others (a condition that will bring it to lock[1]) it moves the valves to decrease the pressure on the braking circuit, effectively reducing the braking force on that wheel. The wheel(s) then turn faster and when they turn too fast, the force is reapplied. This process is repeated continuously, and this causes the characteristic pulsing feel through the brake pedal. A typical anti-lock system can apply and release braking pressure up to 20 times a second.

any mention of computers? no
so i suggest you shut up before you make yourself look stupid, im a ex mechanic and a fully qualified mechanical/electro rail engineer what do you do?

Hate to break it to ya bud but you need a computer to read sensors and decide if the ABS should activate. A simple computer, but it's still a computer.

I think you need to read up on your evo stats. You have to be getting the evo and scooby mixed up. The subaru has no controls IIRC other than ABS.

From the Evo Wiki

"Detail improvements have also been made to Mitsubishi’s own electronic all-wheel drive, to the ACD 5 + Super AYC 6 (Active Yaw Control, IE COMPUTER CONTROLLED) traction control and to the Sports ABS systems. The Lancer Evolution VIII displayed at the 2003 Tokyo Motor Show took the MR designation traditionally reserved for Mitsubishi Motors high-performance models and used first on the Galant GTO. Other parts on the MR include BBS alloy wheels, Bilstein shocks, and an aluminium roof. In the United Kingdom, many special Evolutions were introduced, which included FQ300, FQ320, FQ340, and FQ400 variants. They each came with 305, 320, 340, and 400 hp (227, 239, 254 and 298 kW), respectively. It is rumored that the 'FQ' stands for '****ing Quick'.[2][3]

"Lancer Evolution

The Lancer Evolution IX introduced in 2005 features an electronically controlled full-time four wheel drive system, which incorporates Super AYC, ACD and Sport ABS. The Super AYC is an improved version of the AYC system first introduced on the Lancer Evolution IV. Compared to the previous system it now uses a planetary gear differential that can transfer almost twice the torque between the rear wheels. Lancer Evolution IX also uses a revised AWC system that is even more pro-active than in previous generations. On the Evo VIII, the AWC system gave priority to the Sport ABS system in order to stabilise the car under heavy braking. The ACD and Super AYC modules were effectively disengaged. The AWC system has been revised so that the driving force is still controlled actively, even when the Sports ABS is operational. Through a series of high-speed bends, for example, the system will continue to control the yaw moment of the car, even if the driver is applying braking force. The car’s agility and stability are both improved, and the car responds more accurately to steering input on the entry to a corner.[23]
According to Mitsubishi, the Lancer Evolution uses its four-wheel drive system to improve the handling, rather than simply to increase traction. Super AYC acts like a limited slip differential to optimise the Lancer’s handling during hard driving. It improves cornering performance by transferring torque between the rear wheels. It also works harmoniously with the ACD, which was introduced on the Evolution VII. Mitsubishi's Sports ABS system is used to enhance the steering control during hard driving. The Sport ABS ECU uses inputs from steering angle, lateral G and vehicle speed sensors to individually apportion braking pressure to each of the four wheels.[23]"
Quote from andybarsblade :and gezmoor you say that they are full of electronic gadgetry but the evo 5 in the wet weather vid is an rs model which is the basic spec one used to base rally cars on so no electronic gadgets at all, not even abs. To say evo's/subarus are full of electronics is just stupid, "ahhhh its from japan it must be full of them" kinda ignorant and stereo typical of you to think so, they have less "gadgets" in them than most of tthe european perrfomance cars out the today. take the new m3 for example asc, abs, electronic dampers, traction control, launch control ect

I'm only going by what I've seen reported, I'm not that familiar with the Evo Range history to be honest. Yes it's true that top spec German cars are also full of gadgetry, but I don't think there are many with anti yaw such as the Evo has? (and has had since version VII I believe). I'm certainly not commenting on the basis of the country of origin. I actually like Japanese cars and think they are massively under-rated. I don't go for the mythology of "German" marques.

Quote :
now im not saying that these cars are faster or better than the supercars in the video because they arent. but put against equal spec'd cars they are faster/better imo

No argument from me, I was just making the point of design principles.

There is no doubting Evos and Scoobies are fast cars for the money and they are (apparently) easy to drive at the limit and so can make the average driver feel like a "racing god". But that's just the point others have been making. It takes more skill to be "as good" in the likes of Ferraris etc exactly because of the fact they are RWD and therefore inherently more unstable at the limit.

Either way doesn't bother me. At the end of the day people are entitled to like whatever car they want, and for whatever reasons they want. I don't go in for all the "chest beating" BS that surrounds such things, (much like surrounds Motorcycle capacity).
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :snip

wrong again, i'll ring back my kettle, it has a sensor in it to tell it when the water has reached 100c then tells it to switch off, is that a computer? no

and i know my evo's sonny, all the models you have listed are GSR models the road car. the basic rally one is the RS! now shut up nab.

gezmoor no arguements from me and ayc has been around since the evo 4
Quote from andybarsblade :see videos posted above. and why would you push anycar to its limits on public roads? unless your an idiot in a chaved up 106/saxo around town.

A small hatchback can be driven much harder on the road whilst still being relatively safe compared to an Evo or Impreza. The problem with the 4WD rally reps is they're far too fast (both in a straight line and cornering speeds) to actually be driven anywhere near there limit without reaching silly speeds.
Quote from andybarsblade :your a tard if you think a speed sensor activating a set of vavles is a computer. abs can even be mechanical, go finish school chump

sigh... why did i even hope for anything else from a redline member?
You do realise everyone who posts in this thread will be banned forever from RR servers, simply for existing?

ABS can be mechanically operated, but it hasn't been since about 1975 (plus or minus a few years). All modern cars use the ECU (and big computer) to control the ABS, especially if it's used for brake force distribution, stability control or yaw control.

Edit: I bet you £500 that your kettle doesn't switch off at 100°C
If we could resist the temptation to lunge down this road, it would be great.

And andy, if you can't post in pleasant conversational manner without entering into personal abuse, we're going to have to cut you loose for a bit. Quit the direct insults.

And on-topic, anything that makes logical determinations (is/is not traction, etc) is computing. For the record, logic can be handled mechanically, as it was in Babbage's time, or electronically.

Most kettles are electric, not electronic. An on-off switch connected to a temperature sensor in any form in a kettle is a logic control, albeit brutally primitive.
The XRT should be crushed it's been wreaked that many times. And wow a lot of jigging work must be needed for the cars. After that good as new.
Quote from tristancliffe :You do realise everyone who posts in this thread will be banned forever from RR servers, simply for existing?

my god i didnt think of that
id be devastated if hed ban me

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG