The online racing simulator
Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
Well, game was fine on beta and it ran very well on 6800GS, but patch 1.66A caused huge performance drop and it ain't running all that smoothly on my current system with A64 3000+@2,4Ghz, 2Gb and x1950pro.
One thing that does need to be pointed out, is that although I say it was running OK on my old system...this means that: a) it was fast/smooth enough to be playable, and b) The GFX were set just high enough so that I could see what I was doing
ANY game from the Original Doom to the latest DX10 monster will 'run' on just about any machine that meets the minimum specs, the problem is, there are loads of posts from n00bs on all sorts of forums saying things like: "Dis gaem is teh crappzors, cos wen I runz it at 20,000*16,000 rezolootion wiv all teh BLOOOOOOM turned up high on my Pentiom Celery with my GeFart MX440 it runs at liek, two frames a minnit"!!!!

People MUST realise (and many here do) that no matter what your specs are, you (nearly) always have to trade performance for eye-candy.

In any case, I can run UT3 with all "teh BLOOOOOOM" and stuff maxed out at 1440*900 ans it runs smooth as a babys bum...just cant play online
Quote from Crommi :Well, game was fine on beta and it ran very well on 6800GS, but patch 1.66A caused huge performance drop and it ain't running all that smoothly on my current system with A64 3000+@2,4Ghz, 2Gb and x1950pro.

No it was not.

Also no matter what GFX settings you put it had practically no effect to performance at all, when you started to play it was around 60fps, after 30mins of play you were lucky to get 30fps, mostly around 20 and at some places even as low as 7fps, it was just really badly made code.

And remember that problems that were found in beta were not fixed for release and boy was it working like shit for majority of testers, some lucky bastards did not have any problem then and these were constantly blaming machines of those that it did not run too well.
I remember guy with geforce 7950something (top cards then) complained how he gets similar fps to mine, but it was his machine that is too weak.

Also it was bad sound card drivers that sound did come only from one channel if sound acceleration was not decreased from dxdiag.

Not mention about bug where root of C: were annihilated if you unistalled the product, bug that they got into release too, I think it was only with XP SP2 and if you did install game somewhere else than C: drive.

It was just really bad release, rushed and they did try to make it cheap with quick big profits, customers seem to be free money milking cow in Atari's opinion.
Just an observation, the game had a *lot* less faults on the Xbox 360 than on the PC. The 360 got regular new vehicles as well to boot.

I must have been one of the lucky ones though, managed to get the game running smoothly with eye-candy on, without any bugs that affected gameplay After major hickups during beta testing anyway (one channel sound springs to mind). I found the video driver version had a big affect on FPS, as much as 30-40% difference.
Quote from JTbo :Not mention about bug where root of C: were annihilated if you unistalled the product, bug that they got into release too, I think it was only with XP SP2 and if you did install game somewhere else than C: drive.

Hehe, I remember reporting that one and being told by a bunch of n00bs that it was a problem with my machine.
Quote from Bladerunner :"Dis gaem is teh crappzors, cos wen I runz it at 20,000*16,000 rezolootion wiv all teh BLOOOOOOM turned up high on my Pentiom Celery with my GeFart MX440 it runs at liek, two frames a minnit"!!!!

this seriously made me roll on the floor and forget I had work to do before sleep...BRILLIANT....
I just got TDU and was wondering if anyone can recomend a good wheel settings for momo? It was horrible at first, but then i messed with the settings a bit and it's a little better now but still crap.

Also, i don't understand the game at all, what i have to do here? I came to that point where i'm suppose to have some race, but then it says "no players available" or something like that, wtf, i was in offline mode.. Does this game have a proper offline mode or what? How can i earn some money and buy some better cars etc..?
Quote from Boris Lozac :I just got TDU and was wondering if anyone can recomend a good wheel settings for momo? It was horrible at first, but then i messed with the settings a bit and it's a little better now but still crap.

Also, i don't understand the game at all, what i have to do here? I came to that point where i'm suppose to have some race, but then it says "no players available" or something like that, wtf, i was in offline mode.. Does this game have a proper offline mode or what? How can i earn some money and buy some better cars etc..?

Do the races marked with blue symbols, anyone that specifies a car class, presumably F or E since you are at the beginning.
Quote from Boris Lozac :I just got TDU and was wondering if anyone can recomend a good wheel settings for momo? It was horrible at first, but then i messed with the settings a bit and it's a little better now but still crap.

Pull the linearity slider to the right, then adjust the sensivity to your liking. It still gonna be kinda deadzoned at the center (feels like its still not completely liner), but much better.
Anyone playing online nowdays? Getting bored cruising alone..

Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG