The online racing simulator
Weird words
(27 posts, started )
Weird words
Actually this is funny that u want say some estonian words in some games like: peni(wich means like k-9 or something like that),kass(wich means cat),and more works u never know if they mean something bad...
and im sure there are stuff in other languages also
What?
Dude! Wait... what?!
Toast.
I think he's talking about words that are normal, non-offensive terms in your native language but are, um, "naughty" in other languages.
...How about cocks and chickens?
MR2 in France apparently resembles "merde" from what I can remember... any French people care to clarify this?

Also I seem to remember a cleaning product, originally named Jif (i think) changed its name to Cif because of being a profanity in some other country - I can't remember what country it was.
I heard Mitsu Pajero didn't get a nice recieve in Spain since it means "w@nker" in Spanish, don't know if it's true
Quote from PaulH :Also I seem to remember a cleaning product, originally named Jif (i think) changed its name to Cif because of being a profanity in some other country - I can't remember what country it was.

I believe it was called Cif in European countries anyway, and they changed ours to match.

I remember in the advert they made out it was because Europeans couldn't pronounce the "J". "Hyif"
Ah, that certainly rings the bell louder. Now you mention it I seem to remember the same... bloody memory!
Quote from squidhead :I heard Mitsu Pajero didn't get a nice recieve in Spain since it means "w@nker" in Spanish, don't know if it's true

Totally true
Quote from deggis :speaking of the subject, what that means? Like "retard" or something?

Toast could mean anything. e.g. Why don't you toast off.

Random censor words FTW.

Also, I think toast is just a funny word.
Quote from Kryten :I believe it was called Cif in European countries anyway, and they changed ours to match.

I remember in the advert they made out it was because Europeans couldn't pronounce the "J". "Hyif"

I remember that, I think people are still angry about that. I rekon people are more angry about Jif being called Cif than the Iraq war.
Quote from deggis :speaking of the subject, what that means? Like "retard" or something?

One common (informal, "slang") usage of the word "toast," is as a metaphor to suggest that something is destroyed, or defeated: "he's toast" - as if being toast (cooked bread) that has been so excessively cooked, that it has become burned.

"Toast" is also used (formally) to denote a celebratory drink (usually, of some alcohol-containing beverage): "let's [drink a] toast [to] your victory (or new job, or marriage, or something)." I have no idea how, if at all, this pertains to cooked bread.
Quote from David33 :One common (informal, "slang") usage of the word "toast," is as a metaphor to suggest that something is destroyed, or defeated: "he's toast" - as if being toast (cooked bread) that has been so excessively cooked, that it has become burned.

"Toast" is also used (formally) to denote a celebratory drink (usually, of some alcohol-containing beverage): "let's [drink a] toast [to] your victory (or new job, or marriage, or something)." I have no idea how, if at all, this pertains to cooked bread.

i think he was just taking the mic?
The Vauxhall/Opel Nova got renamed the Astra as No Va means doesn't move in Spanish.
I think that's a pretty accurate description of the car in question.

/joke
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
Quote from ussbeethoven :No, the Vauxhall Nova was actually an Opel Corsa A and has been renamed to the latter with the new Mk. II model in 1993. In Continental Europe Vauxhall's Astra was named Opel Kadett till the introduction of the Astra F which borrowed this name for standardization of products.

You are right man. It´s also true that "No va" means "doesn´t move" in Spanish but it´s very far from the reason it´s called Corsa in Spain
-
(ussbeethoven) DELETED by ussbeethoven
#23 - arco
The Honda Fitta had to change its name to Honda Jazz, since "Fitta" means the female genital organ here in Scandinavia. Some of their launching slogans were:

"Honda Fitta is small outside, but big when you get inside"
"Size is small, but the surprise is big"

and the best

"Honda Fitta is a daily pleasure"

Japanese is funny. The finnish for window is "ikkuna", which is in japanese "don't go".

But why do you have to go to other languages to find funny words? And names can be amusing, (you'll probably get the point of these without being finnish...) like Anu Skyttä and Anu Surakka. (kyttä can be traslated a cop, "copper" =police officer, the verb "kytätä" =to stake out) ; (urakka="a job", hard work)
About Finnish - Japanese funny stuff.

At one time we had a foreign minister... or was it prime minister... by the name of Esko Aho.

Esko is a man's name in Finnish but a woman's in Japanese because it ends with "O".

Now aho is Japanese for crazy.

So our minister was a crazy bitch.

Weird words
(27 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG