The online racing simulator
Quote from StewartFisher :That's pretty much the same method I used to increase the contrast in my shot, except that I just eyeballed the histogram and set the white point to the highest luminance value in the histogram

that's what i do most of the time if i like the color of the image and just want to adjust the brightness or contrast, but by using the highlight/shadow color pickers, it actually adjusts the histogram on all the color channels, and so has more of an effect on color. sure, you could adjust the histograms of the individual channels manually, but i like this technique because it is quick and precise. the original shot had a more blue "wash" to it, and wanted to take some of that out and make it more neutral, which is why i used the color pickers.
Quote from glyphon :nice shots halo. looks like there is just a hint of vinetting in those. where you using a couple filters, or was that just from the lens you used? regardless, i think it works really well on these pictures.

Thank you Glyphon.
Yes, you are right, vignetting is one of the issue I should concern. I don't use any filter at the moment but the lens I used for the "pigeon photos" is a little old one. Manufactured for 35 mm. formats. I think its made at 1980s or early 90s. My camera's crop factor is 1,5, maybe the reason of vignetting is this difference.
Quote from halo :Thank you Glyphon.
Yes, you are right, vignetting is one of the issue I should concern. I don't use any filter at the moment but the lens I used for the "pigeon photos" is a little old one. Manufactured for 35 mm. formats. I think its made at 1980s or early 90s. My camera's crop factor is 1,5, maybe the reason of vignetting is this difference.

Actualy a crop sensor will reduce vignetting, since it only uses the sweet spot in the middle of the lens. Try closing down the aperture a stop or two. Should do the trick.
Quote from Stregone :Actualy a crop sensor will reduce vignetting, since it only uses the sweet spot in the middle of the lens. Try closing down the aperture a stop or two. Should do the trick.

Actually, you are right. It is logical, smaller area bigger circle.
I will try your suggestion, thanks Strangeone.
I just happened upon some firefighters after a fire this morning. I'm pissed I missed my chance at better shots.

Though one will be published in tomorrows paper, wooo.

Heres the link to the few I got before my batteries choked.

http://picasaweb.google.com/matt.mosh/Fire2008

The attachment is going to be the one in the paper. Though cropped and straightened.
Attached images
DSCF6301.JPG
#206 - Don
Quote from mcintyrej :Very nice pictures Don! I love the last one.

I got nightmares of it, I'm sure of, Terror from Opel

Very nice pics
#210 - Don
Nice
Some pics... vacations
Attached images
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
Total lunar eclipse, Feb. 20th. I expect to see something here
We had great weather here last weekend so I took my camera around some of the colleges in the university. I'm particularly pleased with the picture of St John's chapel tower.

I was disappointed not to get any decent shots of my old college but the sun was low in the sky and casting horrible shadows across the courts. I'll have to try again later in the year.
Attached images
StJohns_NewCourt.jpg
Trinity_NewCourt.jpg
StJohns_2ndCourt_Chapel.jpg
Very cool
Last night was awesome, got to see someone very famous around the world for his photography, films, books, etc.

Wade Davis came to VSU last night and told basically his life story lol from growing up, to his trips around the world, people he's come across, all sorts of great stuff (sorry if this isn't making much sense I'm heavily medicated from being very sick and having to take a test a few hours ago)

Interesting guy, had lots of great photos, but I'm kinda upset because the Anthropology class got to have breakfast with him this morning, and just got to talk one on one with him, unfortunately I didn't get to go because I'm not in that class lol, but what's even more upsetting is that less than half of the people in the class went!
Really wish I could have gone, very interesting guy, had some fantastic photos last night that he showed off, and the best part is these aren't just photos, these photos make him who he is. It isn't like pictures we're posting here, these actually had great stories behind them and actual meaning.

I tried to milk out some info from a friend of mine who is in the anthropology class because aparently he talked to them this morning about his photography (mad i wasn't there), which I noticed last night, even before the fact when he said he likes to change things up a bit (literally that's how he said it lol), and doesn't like doing stuff the same way every time. This was extremely evident in someone that knows a little about photography or atleast styles and meanings behind them. About 90% or more (probably more) of his photos were portraits, many showing lots of movement, using the flash and rotate or zoom technique, many showing color (he is part of national geographic :shrug, he apparently loves wide angles, and enjoys altitude landscapes (unlike landscapes from the ground showing off mountains etc. he preferred to look downwards on subjects moreso than the usual).

(had to go milk a little more info from my friend), it isn't a surprise, but he does use a Canon, and only a few photos into his show it was apparent he loved film, and another thing he told the anthropology students this morning is that it wasn't until the latest trip he went on that he attempted digital photography. He didn't mention (no surprise) to the students anything about a tripod except that he doesn't use one much, but some of his darker photos were just insanely sharp, unbelievably sharp for some of the exposure times i'm sure he pulled without using a tripod, but.. that doesn't really relate to anything.
My friend though (this is kinda funny) asked him if he enjoyed photographing anything besides people, said he hated it, said he took a picture of a lion once, and that's about it.

This is dragging on, my hands are freezing because my window is open and it's like freezing outside, but i'm determined, and i'm on around 130+mg of concerta! yay!, which is making this near impossible for me to make any sense of what i'm typing, and i've hit the backspace atleast once every line.

On the topic of drugs though it's funny because Wade Davis is also a ethnobotanist, meaning he knows a fair amount of drugs and their effects, but he talked quite a bit about drugs last night, not only from what he took while he traveled around the world with indigenous tribes from all over the place, of specific plants when combined with others to form some powerful stuff, but it was funny what he said last night, which is at one dosage we have a medicine, at another dosage we have a narcotic, and at another, we have poison.

I guess I'm gonna stop here before I run out of figures to type lol, I could literally go on for quite some time about Wade, he's a genious, literally he graduated from Harvard, has two degrees, and a PhD, just brilliant. Been many places, learned many things, and couldn't get his first cell phone call to stop last night
Very cool guy, extremely down to earth.. it was a fun experience, I just wish I could've talked to him personally.

If you wanna read a little about him here's a segment at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Davis

Just got a copy of his book from my friend, Light at the Edge of the World, signed and all to my friend's name, looks like I've found reading for the weekend, something enjoyable at that moreso than contact with native americans by europeans.

Okay yea I'm done lol my hands are frozen just about, and i'm going on dull tangents lol
Seems like a good chap. And you're definately high on something! Also your 'lol' habit is coming back, I thought you cured that.
Quote from beefyman666 :Seems like a good chap. And you're definately high on something! Also your 'lol' habit is coming back, I thought you cured that.

The first thing I noticed was "I'm heavily medicated" and then all the random "lol's" I saw
Quote from mrodgers :The first thing I noticed was "I'm heavily medicated" and then all the random "lol's" I saw

Atleast I wasn't the only one.

Being ontopic, I should really get my shitty camera out and go take some pics. Plymouth's coast has some good spots worth taking pics of.
omg wow last night looks pretty interesting from this point of view lol
wtf did I talk about??

I did however find a link last night which is a video of him a while back basically talking about the same thing, almost verbadom too is the funny part.
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/69
#224 - Don
Awesome shots.

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG