The online racing simulator
First Car
(537 posts, started )
Things may be different in Holland mate. Over here, insurance is very expensive. Also, judging by those cars, I'm sure the required spec was to "Get me from A-to-B" I'm sure he doesnt want place B to be his grave.
#55 - Jakg
Those BMW's look ACE, but i doubt they'll be as reliable, as cheap to fix or as cheap to insure as a Corsa.
Quote from The General Lee :I'm sure the required spec was to "Get me from A-to-B" I'm sure he doesnt want place B to be his grave.

hehe, Even if I like these Opel's I have to say that the Corsa (old ones) really suck. especially that 1.0 .
Any joy with those links I supplied Jack?

I seriously think your best bet is a Post 2000 Fiesta or Corsa.

Fiesta.
Corsa.

How much can you stretch to/borrow/rob? & How much is your 'Ped worth?
Do the simple and cheapest option, a Nova :P
Quote from Jakg :Frankly i don't need much space. All i want is something cheap.

Seems that i need to look into a Fiesta, a Saxo or a Punto. Civic might be ok. Not sure i could get a CRX for that price though...

Thanks for your help.

Aha, I could get a CRX for frikking cheap, like 2,000$

pwnt.
McGas - Cheap for a reason, buddy
Quote from The General Lee :McGas - Cheap for a reason, buddy

Wait untill the LFS meet, im using my Nova for that, Reliable as **** and cheap to run and maintain
We'll see.
If I make it and you don't, then you owe me a tenner. As my car has done well over 200,000 miles

Engine is still as healthy than ever before.

Anyway, back to Jack...
My Nova 3 owners from new 1991 and only 89,000 miles on the clock. Works like a dream, starts everyday first time like clockwork
If I was jack I would choose the Corsa. Even if it sux it's still in better condition than the Fiesta you posted because the corsa has driven less miles than the fiesta.
The Fiesta is also sold. I'm just giving rough price guides.
#67 - Jakg
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Aha, I could get a CRX for frikking cheap, like 1,000£ (2,000$)

pwnt.

I can get one for £1,250 that looks the shizzle. insurance is what'll kill me...

I've decided that it's best to go for a "new" car than the Proton. not sure on the car yet, but i've still got a few months to go. Corsa or Fiesta :X
Quote from Jakg :
All i need is cheap insurance/running/repairs and economy.

Forget about the purchase price of the car that'll soon become insignificant if your budget is around a £1000 there's no point in trying to get a car take driving lessons/tests and pay for insurance. Is your mum getting a new small, low insurance group car anyway? If so do you really need your own car?

Getting insured as a named driver on a car that you drive occasionally would be a lot cheaper, I now 'only' add £600 onto the Focus's insurance whereas the insurance quotes for it were £2500-4000. Some insurers off discounts to clean named drivers when they take out their first policy even if you don't have a conventional no claims bonus (I know Tesco do). I would strongly advise against getting a car and being a named driver on it though as if the insurance company can prove you're the main user your policy will be invalidated if you claim.

Quote from Jakg :
Of course, theres gotta be something wrong with a CRX. Disuade me! PLEASE!

Harjun, a BMW 325 Estate is too big, too much to run and FAR too much to insure. No thanks.

It's the same insurance group as the 325 estate (13) and why would you choose 160 bhp over 5000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 bhp?

Quote from The General Lee :Things may be different in Holland mate. Over here, insurance is very expensive. Also, judging by those cars, I'm sure the required spec was to "Get me from A-to-B" I'm sure he doesnt want place B to be his grave.

Dutch insurance is basically done off the value of the car from what I understand which is why I've got a Dutch mate who can insure an MGB as his first car for much less than it costs me to be a named driver on the Focus, which I'm not at all jealous of
Quote from ajp71 :

Dutch insurance is basically done off the value of the car from what I understand which is why I've got a Dutch mate who can insure an MGB as his first car for much less than it costs me to be a named driver on the Focus, which I'm not at all jealous of

Umm, Don't think so. I thought that it had something to do with the weight of the car.
GET A SUBARU!!! LOLZ, HAXXORS!!!

It can't be THAT expensive to insure - here in the US, most Subarus are driven by little old ladies :P
Quote from Takumi_lfs :Umm, Don't think so. I thought that it had something to do with the weight of the car.

Oh well certainly not sportiness or fun factor though
Quote :might aswell sell it, get about a grand and get a nice fiesta 1.25 zetec, probably about a mk4. The insurance will be dirt cheap, and the 125 is a brilliant example of an engine. Also does apparently 45mpg on a nice motorway run, so less in town and that. If you get a good one there isnt a huge amount to go wrong, just try and get one around 60/70k miles

I drive the Mk5 Fiesta Zetec 1.25 (first car with 70k miles) and it really is a brilliantly nippy little car. However, make sure you get the 16v 1.25 Zetec and NOT the 8v 1.3 Endura, as they're totally different beasts.

Also, the insurance is NOT cheap. Third party in my name at 17 was £2000, now I'm 18 it's the same price (one year no claims) for fully comp. Can't say I've calculated my fuel economy but it's pretty average I think.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :GET A SUBARU!!! LOLZ, HAXXORS!!!

It can't be THAT expensive to insure - here in the US, most Subarus are driven by little old ladies :P

You would be surprised. Insurance groups range from 1A (which is for like small cars) to insurance group 20 (which are cars like ferraris, evo's etc.)

The insurance group for a impreza WRX STI (00-05) is 20. Even for the Impreza GX, its 12-14.

In the UK, insurance is terrible. Its alot for new drivers to insure little cars like the peugoet 106, yet in the US, you can all drive about in mustangs, accords etc. Its not fair!
I have to say I think the US does the car insurance thing better than us, as you don't have to have it there. I think the "You break it, you bought it" way of doing things is better.

"Don't crash your car and you don't have to pay anything. Break it and you have to pay for repairs." Sounds fair enough to me.
Buy a 1.4-1.6 Corsa SRI or GSI, both the same apart from the SRI has different interior from all the rest of the models, if possible get one what has a 2 ltr redtop engine in what is still put down as say a 1.6(the original engine) and there you have yourself a cheap and quick little car, the insurance on a 1.4 SRI is only £950 for a 17 year old, I spent ages trying to find the best insurance deal a few weeks ago and that is the cheapest I can find. Thats what I will be getting as their alright cars, or if you want something else what isnt a corsa or a fiesta, look for something like a F reg Swift GTI, they are ok and are loved by some and not by others, well it is your decision mate, they are just my views

First Car
(537 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG