The online racing simulator
Done it for our server Kelvin
i think when flash is installed, it also installs a stand-alone player. That should be used to run swf files. Not sure why a video player opens, because afaik, no video player will play swf files?

You should check to which program swf files are bound when you try to run them. Or try the 'Open with ..' option from the right-click menu (when you right click on the swf file). The option 'Adobe Flash Player 9' should be there. If not, maybe you have to (re)install flash.

The icon of the swf file should look something like the attached example :
Attached images
swf_looks.gif
Right click > open with > select web browser
no if you run it locally, like a normal application, you don't want to run it in a browser because that limits your capabilities (like keyboard usage in fullscreen mode).

and come to think of it, i don't think running the swf in a browser, loaded from your computer will even work, because when flash is run in a browser, it will only connect to the host that you loaded the flash file from, which in that case would be your computer. There's no insim relay on your computer
yeah. I actually assumed everyone who has flash installed through their browser would have the standalone player too. But maybe that's not the case. I'll remember to put up a note and link about that somewhere when it's finished.
firefox issues
Hi guys.
Dont know if its any use to anyone, but I get a blank screen in firefox, but if i right click and then do 'show all' the menu appears and works.
Quote from birder :http://www.lfsworld.net/remote/?host=[CD]%20ConeDodgers%201

Needs a spec password, what do we add to view in this case, and as a admin

Or can there be a password entry box

Great work by the way

hmm, yeah maybe i'll have to make a password entry box there.

I didn't think a password url parameter would be sensible, because you'd never link to the remote with a password from a public website I'd assume But maybe you wanted to link from an admin page of your own?
I was hoping this would be a bit better than LFS Spectator which I last used about 3 years ago, but it isn't really. The cars still don't move anything like properly and keep wishy-washing, quickly-slowly, about. I suppose it's okay as some kind of visual illustration to go along with lap times, and a nice addition to LFSworld if that's simply its purpose, but I'm disappointed that it isn't something I could actually watch a race with.
Quote from sinbad :I was hoping this would be a bit better than LFS Spectator which I last used about 3 years ago, but it isn't really. The cars still don't move anything like properly and keep wishy-washing, quickly-slowly, about. I suppose it's okay as some kind of visual illustration to go along with lap times, and a nice addition to LFSworld if that's simply its purpose, but I'm disappointed that it isn't something I could actually watch a race with.

i've got some ideas for smoother movement.
I'm currently testing some mci-buffering that will buffer mci packets and update the racers with them only when i've received all mci packets for a certain frame. That should eliminate the floating between certain groups of cars (the forth and backwards effect, relative betwen certain cars).

Next is to retime these buffered frames, so that there will always be 500ms between them, even if i don't receive them at that interval.

If that works then car movements should be smoother. But more than i cannot do i think.
Quote from Victor :i've got some ideas for smoother movement.
I'm currently testing some mci-buffering that will buffer mci packets and update the racers with them only when i've received all mci packets for a certain frame. That should eliminate the floating between certain groups of cars (the forth and backwards effect, relative betwen certain cars).

Next is to retime these buffered frames, so that there will always be 500ms between them, even if i don't receive them at that interval.

If that works then car movements should be smoother. But more than i cannot do i think.

Wow nice tool victor wel done i like this is nifty tool

good for checkinh if its infested by unsocial racers before you enter
Thanks Vicc for bringing back the Spectator! :up:
Thanks for another great addition to LFS, Victor - this is very very nice! If I might add some suggestions - this would be so great for leagues if you could get sort of "admin rights per car" or, "engineer rights" if you will and remotely access a car's strategy and change it provided you have a password for it. Obviously this will also require LFS updates but it would add a lot to league racing. Either way, great tool!
Quote from FireFox86 :Tbh, I don't have any time todo research and development for the 2D/3D spectating part in RS and now i'm not going to bother I'll keep RS updated with features special for leaque races.
To keep track of the total time/Lapcount, total pitstops ect. So more an statistics tool, rather than a full graphic version.

your work doesn't go unnoticed. Don't forget that! We've used it for ages
Ouch, I just saw a guy in 2nd place get taken out by a lapped car, thats demo racing for you!
Quote from Victor :yeah. I actually assumed everyone who has flash installed through their browser would have the standalone player too. But maybe that's not the case. I'll remember to put up a note and link about that somewhere when it's finished.

It looks like there's the possibility of downloading a separate standalone player for flash 8, but with the coming of flash 9 there's no standalone player, and it's only available for debugging to developers in the flash SDK. I've tried lots of things and searched quite a lot and didn't find an esay way to open the swf file with official flash software (looks like there's some other applications to do it but I don't know if they would work with flash 9).

In the end I just put a shortcut to the URL in my desktop, which opens in firefox
right, ok strange!

---

some updates since yesterday :

-Path files are used to highlight the currently selected configuration. They can be switched on and off.
-When selecting a host, the track map will center itself so that the trcak config will be visible entirely.
-Some improvements to car movement by buffering and re-timing position-packets received from the host (relay).
-Racernames on the map now use the same font as elsewhere and are scaled in a more practical way.

and some bugs fixed.
Quote from Victor :hmm, yeah maybe i'll have to make a password entry box there.

I didn't think a password url parameter would be sensible, because you'd never link to the remote with a password from a public website I'd assume But maybe you wanted to link from an admin page of your own?

I was going to use a hide the url script such as http://www.fastwebcreation.com/hide-links.php

Also wanted a shortcut

Thanks
Brilliant creation.
Minor thought - any chance of showing the starting lights for race starts?
Victor: Some suggestions:
Remember spectators dont need to view the race in real-time.
Having a "frame buffer" can be usefull for smoother movement - theres no problem in having spectators have a 500ms delay or something. So you could keep inserting stuff into the buffer so it has time to receive all data from all cars. In the beggining, give 500ms of lag, so the buffer is "filled", and as soon as half the buffer's frames have full data, start playing. If the connection is 100% perfect, thats only a 250ms delay.
If the buffer is full, start playing so that there's no "loss" of frames. With a bit of luck, the frames being played are already full, and when it comes to the first non-complete frames in the buffer, they could have been completed.

Frame: A set of data of all cars, given a X point in time. I.E. for each X point in time, collect all data from all cars, then display it.

You problably already implemente this, OR it cant be implemented due to how LFS's netcode works, or any other billion reasons.
Quote from duke_toaster :Minor thought - any chance of showing the starting lights for race starts?

nope, there is no insim information about that. And the count down does not have a fixed length, so i cannot guess something.

Quote from Stigpt :Victor: Some suggestions:
Remember spectators dont need to view the race in real-time.
Having a "frame buffer" can be usefull for smoother movement - theres no problem in having spectators have a 500ms delay or something. So you could keep inserting stuff into the buffer so it has time to receive all data from all cars. In the beggining, give 500ms of lag, so the buffer is "filled", and as soon as half the buffer's frames have full data, start playing. If the connection is 100% perfect, thats only a 250ms delay.
If the buffer is full, start playing so that there's no "loss" of frames. With a bit of luck, the frames being played are already full, and when it comes to the first non-complete frames in the buffer, they could have been completed.

Frame: A set of data of all cars, given a X point in time. I.E. for each X point in time, collect all data from all cars, then display it.

You problably already implemente this, OR it cant be implemented due to how LFS's netcode works, or any other billion reasons.

yes, that's exactly what the packet re-timing does. It buffers the packets a little and then at steady intervals plays them back.
But there is still some speeding up / slowing down. Scawen believes he may be able to help a bit there, as he said that currently the mci packets are not actually sent at precise intervals. So it can be more accurate.
Quote from Victor :yeah. I actually assumed everyone who has flash installed through their browser would have the standalone player too. But maybe that's not the case. I'll remember to put up a note and link about that somewhere when it's finished.

Vic, I also believe from flash on your PC, you can compile the SWF as a .exe, which includes the standalone player. Maybe a better idea?

LFS Remote / Spectator
(378 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG