The online racing simulator
Is blocking defensive driving?
(104 posts, started )
#51 - SamH
Quote from pine-fin :Either way I'm right. I had overlap before he braked, I had overlap before he turned in and I still have overlap when I go to bed

Agreed As Viper93 already said, there was no foul. Your moves were legitimate
Quote from Polyracer :If an opponent has gotten close enough to attempt the pass then i do not switch line to block him, and if he is already there with some overlap - I give him space so that no accident is caused.

This is down to the individual. If someone wishes to aggressively defend, they may do so. Once the opponent has attained overlap, the driver in front has missed his opportunity to block the way, but if he hasn't already made a defensive move to prevent someone overtaking, he's within his rights to get in their way and force the guy behind to ease off.

Races are not just won by the fastest guy on the track. Sometimes they're also won by the "widest car" on the track. Some of the most entertaining racing I've seen on the CTRA has been from drivers who have an extraordinary ability to place their car exactly on the track where the guy behind wants to be. This is a skill that is no less to be celebrated in racing, IMO.
wasnt blocking, you didnt hit the brakes and you didnt drive zigzag infront of him, so it wasnt blocking.
nice pass btw
Quote from SamH :Races are not just won by the fastest guy on the track. Sometimes they're also won by the "widest car" on the track. Some of the most entertaining racing I've seen on the CTRA has been from drivers who have an extraordinary ability to place their car exactly on the track where the guy behind wants to be. This is a skill that is no less to be celebrated in racing, IMO.

Exactly
one block is totally fine.
then you have to maintain your position until the entry of the next corner then you can return to normal racing line..
Quote from pine-fin :Me and my poor brains

I raced on CTRA today, made a clean pass on last lap and defended position on last corner. After the race I get a comment 'nice blocking btw'. Now, I know the rules on defensive driving and I didnt drive against the rules, so I understood it as a negative comment and told him it was infact NOT blocking.

Later on, I read the rules section again on ctra and suprised to see blocking word in defensive driving part. Now, I don't know if the comment made meant GJ or FU If he meant the first one, I feel like a complete idiot for talking rubbish.

So did I get it wrong when I understand blocking as beeing a dirty bastard who drives against the rules and defensive driving as the correct term? Because.. I am sure as hell not the only one who has these words mixed up. I have seen many times the blocking word used as a negative comment on drivers.

Oh yes, I can see the upcoming misunderstanding in conversations;

racer:"You were blocking me!"
me:"Of course"
racer:"eh?"
pine-fin kicked

me:"goddamn it.."

Here you go. 3 angles; air-my view-his view

as long as you dont cross the track so he really would bump your rear you can make your ass wide ^^

i widen my (racer)ass also as much as i can and other racers love it although they are maybe 1 or 2 sec faster a lap, it just depends trickyness and skillz of my opponent ontrack, and i will leave him space if he is next to me and let him overtake surely fair.

it is cool to force the opponent racer to make a great overtaking move and surely it is for him/her when he/she passes me then , i am not an bastard u know ^^

keep it up dude
HEY! since when is blocking someone and giving them a hard time to pass illigal?!?!?

I always swerve and make passing impossible for people and i force people to slow down ALL THE TIME.
and when i follow people i try to freak them out by following a line that is right next to them while tailgating.

this is totally legit.
Quote from lefty :That's the reason it's happening all the time irl. Because it's ok to be irrational. Let me suggest you try it at a real race track with other cars.

Perhaps I'm missing what you are up to, but I don't think I'd never do that at a real race track, sir. Like I wouldn't do 80% of the defensive/attacking moves I do in this sim environment where people's health, money and working hours aren't on stake.

BTW, I love how the people here are praising their driving and moves
Quote from atlantian :HEY! since when is blocking someone and giving them a hard time to pass illigal?!?!?

I always swerve and make passing impossible for people and i force people to slow down ALL THE TIME.
and when i follow people i try to freak them out by following a line that is right next to them while tailgating.

this is totally legit.

good luck if/when you get S2....You can force the AI to slow down all you want after you're banned.
Quote from frokki :Perhaps I'm missing what you are up to, but I don't think I'd never do that at a real race track, sir. Like I wouldn't do 80% of the defensive/attacking moves I do in this sim environment where people's health, money and working hours aren't on stake.

BTW, I love how the people here are praising their driving and moves

I was getting about at why is it ok to make 'smart' moves like that in a sim when you wouldn't do those in real life. All it does is make the racing worse when you can't predict what the other drives will do. Will they try to race like in real life or pull some sudden smartypants moves out of their arse. It's about trusting the others to make it through corners and straights without stupid moves that allow door to door racing.
Quote from lefty :I was getting about at why is it ok to make 'smart' moves like that in a sim when you wouldn't do those in real life. All it does is make the racing worse when you can't predict what the other drives will do. Will they try to race like in real life or pull some sudden smartypants moves out of their arse. It's about trusting the others to make it through corners and straights without stupid moves that allow door to door racing.

I just don't get where you are coming from, I'm doing exactly what I think I should do or would do IRL, - thats doing what I can to win the race.
If you want to get past, then I'm going to make it as hard as I can for you, and if you are good enough you will do it - and feel good about it cos I did'nt make it easy.

If you are in my draft, that means you are not in a position to overtake, if we crash its your fault, if you get to the side of me then things start to change - depending on the situation.
I don't want to crash or cause others to crash, I want them to come back at me so I can learn and improve my skills.

As the overtaking car, it is your resposibility to get past in a clean safe way, moreso online because of our (slight) handicaps.

Its not my responsibility to make it easy for you.
Didn't read the whole thread, but from my perspective your move was perfectly legal. If he had been smart enough, he would take the ideal line on the right as soon as he saw you taking the defensive line, so he could get better exit speed and he could try to overtake you on the straight.

For the F1 rules about overtaking and blocking, check this video: http://www.worldcarfans.com/40 ... -f1-overtaking-techniques
Very clearly illustrating what you can do and what not.
Quote from tonix :
For the F1 rules about overtaking and blocking, check this video: http://www.worldcarfans.com/40 ... -f1-overtaking-techniques
Very clearly illustrating what you can do and what not.

Defines the one move rule nicely enough. No moving back!

Don't know who the hell approved those computer demonstrations though, they're just weird, especially the switch back one
Quote from atlantian :I always swerve and make passing impossible for people and i force people to slow down ALL THE TIME.
this is totally legit.

Maybe in you strange little world it is, but that shit ain't going to be tolerated on S2 servers, or anywhere in real racing.

I don't want the devs to loose any potential money, but please do us all a favour and stay a Demo racer.
To me it looks like he gives an compliment.
It was a block, but a legal one and a good one too.
i remember one race at CTRA, some of the CR guys, dont remember correctly, Moose or Dru, he blocked me as hell, i couldnt pass over the 5laps it was, and it was a freaking good race, and wont let me pass... i thought it was incorrect, since i was faster...
Quote from SamH :I think I will spend a few minutes this evening to separate out "defending" and "blocking" in the CTRA rules.

OT; While youre at it, would be cool if you emphasized the part 'say sorry with actions, not words'. Im sick and tired of those casual sorry messages. If someone makes a mistake, atleast they should write it instead of spamming binds
Quote from Polyracer :I just don't get where you are coming from, I'm doing exactly what I think I should do or would do IRL, - thats doing what I can to win the race.
If you want to get past, then I'm going to make it as hard as I can for you, and if you are good enough you will do it - and feel good about it cos I did'nt make it easy.

If you are in my draft, that means you are not in a position to overtake, if we crash its your fault, if you get to the side of me then things start to change - depending on the situation.
I don't want to crash or cause others to crash, I want them to come back at me so I can learn and improve my skills.

As the overtaking car, it is your resposibility to get past in a clean safe way, moreso online because of our (slight) handicaps.

Its not my responsibility to make it easy for you.

I'm not whining about it making passing harder. Just saying random moves make it harder to race cleanly. Besides it's both sides who need to take responsibility to make the racing and passing safe.

I still encourage to try that in real life tho.
I like brake testing.
Quote from Huru-aito :I like brake testing.

Not really sportsmanlike....

Quote from lefty :Will they try to race like in real life or pull some sudden smartypants moves out of their arse. It's about trusting the others to make it through corners and straights without stupid moves that allow door to door racing.

Schwantz and Rainey at Hockenheim in 1991: for no other reason than Schwantz's (#34) move going into the stadium section defines the word "smartypants" and he defended it beautifully to finishing line.
I don't see anything particularly bad in the video. The moves seem pretty legitimate to me, and the slight contact seems to be the outcome of a defensive move in the heat of a battle for position. I really can't see anyone who's at fault.
Quote from nihil :
Schwantz and Rainey at Hockenheim in 1991: for no other reason than Schwantz's (#34) move going into the stadium section defines the word "smartypants" and he defended it beautifully to finishing line.

Irrelevant to the discussion, just a random overtaking move. He isn't doing anything unpredictable or reckless at all. It's not even a questionable move.
Weaving around to break the tow is risky, you see it a bit irl but they're very very careful, you really don't want to have an accident on a straight at high speed. A lot of people take much greater risks on the straights between corners in LFS than they ever would in real life, which is understandable since nobody can get hurt. I'll give a little jink if someone is on the very edge of my slipstream, but as soon as they start to close in the one move rule takes effect and it's time to be sensible.

I don't think Huru likes brake testing really, he likes lamp, iirc.
nihil: maybe to see if the lights are working .

pine-fin: your move was good and fair, you have choosen a line and sticked to it, you gave the other player the chance to go outside and he/she didn't wanted, so not your problem, so in my opinion you did nothing wrong.
#74 - MR_B
Quote from chanoman315 :i remember one race at CTRA, some of the CR guys, dont remember correctly, Moose or Dru, he blocked me as hell, i couldnt pass over the 5laps it was, and it was a freaking good race, and wont let me pass...

Blocked you or drove defensively?

I stick to the one line change rule. If the guy behind exits a corner faster than me and looks like he has the speed to overtake i will immediately take the inside line to defend the next corner.
Personally i don't think I'm that good at defensive driving, as i usually get taken round the outside,or on the corner exit due to the attacker having a better line, if i defend for to many corners.

Quote from chanoman315 :i thought it was incorrect, since i was faster...

As long as the defending is done legally(one line change,no swerving) then there's not a problem. I've been a couple of seconds a lap faster than the guy in front at times, but due to their quality defending i couldn't get past.

Is blocking defensive driving?
(104 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG