The online racing simulator
Is blocking defensive driving?
(104 posts, started )
I didn't read anything but the orignal post...

Blocking is yes.. but once you've lost speed just to block no and swerve no..

Blocking is fine for me because they go off there race line to keep you from passing them.. If they try to serve you off the road I just let off alittle hold my line and let them tag the front of my car and spin out

I just hate the people that feel the need they need to make a pass when ever the opportunity arises (if it goes right into your race line), it's more about time and racing lines.. If you really have the skill you would overtake them reguardless
Quote from The Moose :Blocked you or drove defensively?

I stick to the one line change rule. If the guy behind exits a corner faster than me and looks like he has the speed to overtake i will immediately take the inside line to defend the next corner.
Personally i don't think I'm that good at defensive driving, as i usually get taken round the outside,or on the corner exit due to the attacker having a better line, if i defend for to many corners.

As long as the defending is done legally(one line change,no swerving) then there's not a problem. I've been a couple of seconds a lap faster than the guy in front at times, but due to their quality defending i couldn't get past.

x2.. I like to let people pass when I race... gets all the people trying to push it too hard out of my way, ususally 60% I pass them on the side of the road later on.
Quote from atlantian :HEY! since when is blocking someone and giving them a hard time to pass illigal?!?!?

I always swerve and make passing impossible for people and i force people to slow down ALL THE TIME.
and when i follow people i try to freak them out by following a line that is right next to them while tailgating.

this is totally legit.

It's not legit. It's ok to do it with friends, but even then friends can get the wrong idea....... so beware!
Quote from StableX :It's not legit. It's ok to do it with friends, but even then friends can get the wrong idea....... so beware!

Are you ever going to let it lie?

It's fine to do it with friends...on your own server.
Quote from The Moose :Are you ever going to let it lie?

It's fine to do it with friends...on your own server.

It's a fair comment and what I believe. I'm letting the person in question know what I think about it like everyone else from my experience and it's fair to do that.
Since when is defending corner entry a wrong act when racing?
Quote from legoflamb :Since when is defending corner entry a wrong act when racing?

Depends who has the correct line.. I'm all for it if they keep pushing there speed to it.. but most will try to slow you down themselves with their car when they reach the apex.
Quote from ghost racer :Depends who has the correct line.. I'm all for it if they keep pushing there speed to it.. but most will try to slow you down themselves with their car when they reach the apex.

Perfectly okay to do that. You can (within reason) park at the apex and force the car you just outbraked to lift the throttle and lose the extra momentum they might be carrying through the corner. It's incredibly annoying to get tagged from behind by somebody trying to cutback when you've made it impossible for them to do it, but it's one of those where you get blamed because you're the "attacking" driver.
Quote from ghost racer :Depends who has the correct line.. I'm all for it if they keep pushing there speed to it.. but most will try to slow you down themselves with their car when they reach the apex.

Yeah, I seem to get that a lot, that being, getting squashed at the apex with full or major overlap.

Quote from sinbad :Perfectly okay to do that. You can (within reason) park at the apex and force the car you just outbraked to lift the throttle and lose the extra momentum they might be carrying through the corner. It's incredibly annoying to get tagged from behind by somebody trying to cutback when you've made it impossible for them to do it, but it's one of those where you get blamed because you're the "attacking" driver.

I don't do that, or try my best not to do it, and when it happens to me I just don't make the pass.
#85 - SamH
Quote from pine-fin :OT; While youre at it, would be cool if you emphasized the part 'say sorry with actions, not words'. Im sick and tired of those casual sorry messages. If someone makes a mistake, atleast they should write it instead of spamming binds

I just uploaded a new version of the X-System that should help to sort this out

[edit] I can't remember if I posted this already.. I've been juggling a bit, this last couple of days. I changed the CTRA website's clarification on this matter:-
Quote from www.raceauthority.com/rules.asp :4.0 Defending Position
You may move once per track segment (between two corners) to prevent an overtaking manoeuvre (defend position). Additionally, you may also return to your line after that manoeuvre. You may make no futher moves to obstruct until the next track segment. If a driver has attained any measure of overlap (eg. you did not move far enough to successfully defend, were tricked by a bluff/switch-back, etc), you may consider your defensive manoeuvre to have failed and must allow room for that car on the track.

Quote from sinbad :Perfectly okay to do that. You can (within reason) park at the apex and force the car you just outbraked to lift the throttle and lose the extra momentum they might be carrying through the corner. It's incredibly annoying to get tagged from behind by somebody trying to cutback when you've made it impossible for them to do it, but it's one of those where you get blamed because you're the "attacking" driver.

Everytime I attempt that (and I go about it nicely).. I would say 68% of the time I'm off the track because of it. So I just race passively and try to have fun now.. I can't get too serious because I can't throw my first up and angerment and have them see it

I do understand what your saying.. if your like in a apex of a hairpin If it's clean I'm fine.. if it's reckless It's annoying
Hmmm, I taught you were allowed one move to defend someone?
Quote from pine-fin :OT; While youre at it, would be cool if you emphasized the part 'say sorry with actions, not words'. Im sick and tired of those casual sorry messages. If someone makes a mistake, atleast they should write it instead of spamming binds

Oh my god! I feel exactly the same way! I ALWAYS type Sorry instead of pressing a bind and continuing on my way, Its just unfair if you press a bind, You dont lose anything by doing it.

People who do that should be shot, (I always kick them from the server if they do it more then once (Ban on the 3rd time))
Quote from dmwright :Hmmm, I taught you were allowed one move to defend someone?

Who has said something other than that? If you're responding to something one person has said you should quote them.

I don't think the CTRA rule explanation is very good. Returning to the side you moved from to continue to block/defend is a second move, and that's not really allowed.
In something as dynamic as racing, its almost impossible to put definate rules as far as passing/ blocking goes. There is NO sure fire 100% way of determining it. Its not a math problem, there is no one answer to it.

It's not that hard, don't drive like an idiot, use your mirrors, show respect to your fellow drivers.

If you need a "Rule Book" to tell you how many "moves" you can make, or how much overlap counts "proper overlap" then you should press SHIFT+S, watch, and learn.
Quote from pine-fin :Oh yes, I can see the upcoming misunderstanding in conversations;

racer:"You were blocking me!"
me:"Of course"
racer:"eh?"
pine-fin kicked

me:"goddamn it.."

Here you go. 3 angles; air-my view-his view

Oh, and for clairification on this just in case there were any thoughts on this. CTRA servers have autokick on swearing and spamming chat. If you had sworn or the ".." you post there was multiple chats by you, that was probably the reason for the kick. CTRA admins wouldn't kick you from the server over this if there were any present and the public can not kick you at all.

I just noticed this and wanted to comment.
Quote from mrodgers :Oh, and for clairification on this just in case there were any thoughts on this. CTRA servers have autokick on swearing and spamming chat. If you had sworn or the ".." you post there was multiple chats by you, that was probably the reason for the kick. CTRA admins wouldn't kick you from the server over this if there were any present and the public can not kick you at all.

I just noticed this and wanted to comment.

Yeah I talked to the sarcastic one and and he know pine-fin did not get kicked.

Sarcasm is just a part of life, when it happens just laugh.

laugh
^ why gh?
Because othewise it would sound too German.
Schi laufen zu meine hause.
Quote from The Moose :Blocked you or drove defensively?

both
Quote from The Moose :I stick to the one line change rule. If the guy behind exits a corner faster than me and looks like he has the speed to overtake i will immediately take the inside line to defend the next corner.

Quote from The Moose :Personally i don't think I'm that good at defensive driving, as i usually get taken round the outside,or on the corner exit due to the attacker having a better line, if i defend for to many corners.

if it was you i think that yes...

Quote from The Moose :As long as the defending is done legally(one line change,no swerving) then there's not a problem. .

i know... but what i said "i thought" ... but after the race i realized that no... it was a good race.. very intensive
Quote from mrodgers : CTRA admins wouldn't kick you from the server over this if there were any present and the public can not kick you at all.

I kinda meant if the conversation would be on a random server.. The auto-swearing filter is too tough. It kicked me once for calling a driver bastard (or other really tame word) in a humorous intention.
For you, it may be a tame word.

For others, it may be a very bad insult.
I dont know what people have been talking about here for several pages, but I looked at the vid and it was great defending after a pass, everything was fine
Quote from frokki :Because othewise it would sound too German.
Schi laufen zu meine hause.

OT but interesting (IMO).

Funnily enough, as far as I'm aware, the GH digraph (a digraph is a pair of characters that are pronounced together as one sound) came to English from the Germanic CH sound. I'm no expert on the subject and I'd have to search to find references to back that up but I'd rather not (sorry!).

English is a funny old language and it has changed a hell of a lot over the years. This has resulted in some rather odd spellings, grammar and...erm...an odd language in general. I love it but I'm English so I'm biased!

I think George Bernard Shaw wrote some stuff about messed up English spelling. He decided that you could, in theory, spell the word fish as GHOTI. Using the sound of GH from lauGH, the O from wOmen and the TI from moTIon or any other -tion type word.

I recommend you keep spelling if fish though.

I'll stop being really off topic now.

Is blocking defensive driving?
(104 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG