The online racing simulator
Now this is the spirit of Live for Speed! Great work!
Very very VERY nice.

Suggestions:
  • I would like to see the same sans-serif font used throughout the app. Different styles and sizes are good, but IMHO all text controls should use the same basic font.
  • Show the names of racers who have finished be shown in a different colour.
  • Show the label (number + name) of the 'focused' car in a different colour.
  • Higher maximum zoom. (EDIT: never mind, I saw the explanation.)
Nitpicking:
  • When you drag the mouse and move it outside the window, the applet does not catch the button-release event. (Might be a Flash quirk.)
  • Some characters in driver names are shown as blocks. (Missing from the charset, I guess.)
  • Why can't you focus on a driver when he is pitting?
  • After a race has finished, some cars carry a yellow block. It probably means he's been flagged, but after the finish that's no longer useful.
  • When 'Show message log' = NO, the system messages are still shown.
  • Bug: the applet occasionally loses its background (i.e., the track map) for a few seconds. This happens when I click a couple of times in the names list.
Wild ideas:
  • Ability to read an MPR.
  • Log the race history, so you can skip back to an earlier moment in the race. (Okay, I guess I just want rewindable replays. :tilt
definately cool

but i think it would be nice if the size of the cars and the displayed names could increased at will, so that i can see the names and cars even though i zoomed out to see the whole track, because at the moment it is too small
#79 - [d9]
very great, nice work!
improvement suggestion: vector graphics (its flash )

regards!
This will be put to a real test with the 24h of Aston coming up. Great job, vic.
Quote from Victor :can't really go higher because flash's maximum image resolution is 2880*2880. Currently the maps are 2560*2560 (a good resolution because it fits well with LFS's coordinates)

We could create maps of 5120*5120 and cut it into 4 pieces, but i think flash will throw up then.

seeing that, at the highest zoom level, one map pixel is 4 pixels on the screen, you'd have to scale it up by 4 times, resulting in 16 images of the current size. I dunno how efficient flash manages the memory, deleting image objects out of stage from the RAM (thus needing to reload them when they enter the stage), but I'd assume it COULD work out. Trying it would be needed, because it's the low resolution that in my eyes somewhat ruins the experience of using this otherwise great tool.

Otherwise, you could consider to use the vector material the "old" LFS Spectator from Patch Q used, at least for the higher zoom levels.

Oh, I forgot: F***ING AMAZING WORK VICTOR!

EDIT: one last small suggestion: please, scale the driver names down in higher resolution levels. it is somewhat annoying that they get so huge (size of at least 48 pt here)
#82 - FL!P
Wow, this is brilliant, Victor! Quite impressive, too!

I'm using it on Safari on Mac OS X and it works perfectly. I just have a little bug report, in case it hasn't been reported yet: the text input box isn't displayed in full screen mode. Doesn't look like it's on purpose.

Also I was surprised to see on my screen the result of commands entered by others (like /?). Not sure if that's expected but it feels wrong.

Sorry if these have been discussed already, I didn't read the full thread yet.
I'm just freaking out, this remote thing is giving me the chills! Not only it's awesome and works greatly for something "unfinished", it also has so many controls and options... it's just an outstanding piece of work. Thank you Victor

Quote from St4Lk3R :EDIT: one last small suggestion: please, scale the driver names down in higher resolution levels. it is somewhat annoying that they get so huge (size of at least 48 pt here)

I second that, with "small cars" names are bigger that some of the cars, like the XFG

Oh, and a curiosity: how are colors picked? Randomly? It would be great if racers of a same team (which can be retrieved from lfsworld) could appear with the same colours.
Great work Victor! Thanks!
I just signed LFS LeMans League up. Hopefully it'll work tomorrow. Awesome feature ...
cool even watch s2 races so when u guys race ill b in on it thx victor
fantastic!

but why are there some asian charaters and it looks a big low res. I'm using Safari on a mac(no jokes please. I don't play LFS on a mac) and the screen is at 1024x768 resolution.
I also can't see some cruise servers ([TC] ones) that are populated on LFSWorld.

EDIT: Spetator works on Firefox 1, Navigator 9, IE 5 and Safari 1 (sort of) all for mac.
Excellent stuff!

If possible, names in colours from LFS would be nice and useful, cause for example MoE uses different colours for classes.

Just watched DeTM race, really great that pitstop time and number and whats being worked on the car is shown.
It seems i can´t connect to it, i only get a grey screen and an error message in the top left corner saying : "InSim Relay connection failed : Error #2048".

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.11 and Flash-Plugin 9,0,115,0

I am having no problems with any other Flash content.

Anyone knows what the problem is ?

(I have read that some people have problems with Firefox, but i don´t see the connection to the browser, cause its the same plugin in all browsers)

Edit: Doh, i just found out it was my firewall blocking it, i just disabled it temporarily and it works
Does anyone know what port it needs to works properly ?
Quote from Octane :Btw, i opened port 47474 and it works now with firewall enabled

Good to hear
wtf!!! thats super uber mega giga amazing!
Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow!

My confidence as a programmer has taken a major dive, but wow!

Quote from Victor :work may have blocked the non-common ports. Since the relay works at 47474, it may be blocked.

Ahh, blocked at school then. Would be nice if as a haxie it could use the HTTPS port as an alternative.
Well I've always hoped for an informative race interface for LFS, and here it finally is! Great work Victor

Fixes
  • Text size needs to be independent to zoom level
Suggestions (in order of difficulty)
  • Highlight road (perhaps in a transparent grey colour, of course in a layer beneath the cars)
  • Show fastest lap as well as previous lap time
  • Show number of pit stops
  • Have absolute time gap between racers (When gap is more than 1 lap, perhaps "X Laps + YmZs")
  • Absolute time gap switches to relative when player is selected
  • Ability to rotate map so that it can fit on screen easier. For example if Aston was rotated 90degrees it would fit on a widescreen monitor much nicer.
Other than that I can't think of much else at the moment... I've always wanted to somehow have a second monitor set up for race details, now it is a possibilty (in fact a sinch!)

Great work once again Victor
Quote from Victor :In fullscreen mode, keyboard doesn't work. Only the escape key works to take you out of fullscreen. That's a flash limitation. If you download the swf file and run it like a normal application with flash, you get full control (so you can actually put this on your desktop as well).

How can I download the swf file?
So how do you go about getting your server listed on there? or does it list automatically when there's a race on it? (Don't tell me there's only 6 races going on atm???)

LFS Remote / Spectator
(378 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG