The online racing simulator
The want for more
(24 posts, started )
The want for more
I love live for speed, and it has a good diversity of race types, but I can't help but want more and more racing games.

My problem is that live for speed has raised my standards so high that I can't enjoy anything else

My problem is that I don't always want to race online with other people, and being in the US there isn't always a good populated server when I want to race (seeing as the majority of the user base is on the other side of the world).

I have gtr2, and have the rfactor demo, and neither really seem to be all that people make them out to be.

I've heard about a bunch of mods for both gtr2 and rfactor that are supposed to totally revamp them, but there are so many it is a bit overwhelming.

What do you all do when you're feeling an itch for something different?
how about hot lapping?
I drive offline on the combo I want, or I go do something else. LFS doesn't have everything I want (not yet, anyways) so there's nothing that can be done. rF and company just aren't good enough.
Quote from N I K I :how about hot lapping?

variety is the spice of life

hotlapping usually just frustrates me anyways, as I try to go 110% every lap and usualy only complete 1/3 of them

I googled around for other options i might have missed and found a couple interesting things, but all were dead ends :/

Does anyone know if RBR has vista support?

I think you hit the nail on the head maggot, or at least thats how I feel too :/

I also burn away some time with lfs tweak, but it gets old after a while.
You are right about the lack of quality options, and it's natural
to get tired of a game, no matter how good it is.

It always helps to take time away when that happens.
I was messing with GTR2 - using the 'NAP Mod' about 3 months ago.
It was definatly an improvement over the standard game, but
I didn't do any online racing with it.

Also the Lotus Elise patch is a lot of fun. Probably the most enjoyable of all the cars - mods or otherwise - just remember it took a lot of work to get it functioning within the game.

I will say that after trying various mods - it's stunning how incomplete and undocumented many of them are. I'm glad
LFS is mod free, tbh.

(I'm not suggesting that GTR2 is any great work, or looking to debate the mods/no mods issue - but spanks asked)
GTR 2 is good work, but not great work. I only play it becuase of the sounds and the faster cars.
#7 - JTbo
Operation flashpoint offers some nice races and if someone crashes you like wrecker, you can always pickup trusty old M16 rifle and put few holes to his fender

For that you actually need few similar minded friends, but that is kind of nice
I understand how you feel. Recently there haven`t been much of servers I like that is populated. Of course I can join a server where it`s 1-2 people, but it just no fun when there ain`t many.

And beeing you, that are up when most of the LFS people are sleeping must be a pain in the butt
I was getting into GTR2 for a bit while taking a break from LFS. I agree that it's good but not great, but on the other hand it already has a lot of features that most likely won't be making it into LFS until S3. For the most part, I'd say the default tracks are the best, but there are a few good mods as well- and you gotta atleast try the Nord'.

Coming back to LFS after a decent break can be lots of fun
#10 - VoiD
Quote from JTbo :Operation flashpoint offers some nice races and if someone crashes you like wrecker, you can always pickup trusty old M16 rifle and put few holes to his fender

For that you actually need few similar minded friends, but that is kind of nice

Is this a joke..? Never heard about racing in OPF.

Could you post a few more infos about this please..?
The game has vehicles so you connect the dots hehe. But I'm guessing they race like demo users drag on the blackwood straight. I was first! No I was first I saw it!
I have them all , rFac , GTR2 , GT Legends , RBR , and LFS . There is no other game like LFS , altough i must admit that rFac is pretty good , and lots of fun . Now for me what i miss the most ist real tracks on LFS (i know this as been mentioned 1000 times before) .

Imagine racing around with a FZR or XRR on Imola , or SPA , or even Monza !! Wouldnt that be a blast ?? Dont get me wrong , i like the tracks on LFS , i would just love to drive around in the original tracks . But the game is still in beta world , so lets see what happens in the future .
There is other option. You can always join some league. Leagues really motivates me to practice and it's other dimension of racing,
no restarts, so hart pumps really big time on start
and ppl are usually a lot more friendly so much less crashes.
Quote from spanks :

I have gtr2, and have the rfactor demo, and neither really seem to be all that people make them out to be.

rFactor demo is hardly good for review, since it only has default cars that quite frankly.. suck pretty bad.. Its a great sim, well worth buying for its price.
GT Legends is good one too, just for the sake of the old cars.. good fun.
How about some different type of gaming? Or maybe find a new real world hobby? World is full of options.. so you just have to go for something.. whats worse you can lose? little money only worth of some cigarettes really.
#15 - JTbo
Quote from VoiD :Is this a joke..? Never heard about racing in OPF.

Could you post a few more infos about this please..?

You need just to use OFP's editor to put blocks to intersections that there are along planned route, we prefer T72s, then you can setup a race, as you know, finns are honest people so we see who is faster as there is no timing actually.

You can of course check where you get announcement of winner if you get first to certain place, you can also set it so that other player's vehicles go kaputt when someone reaches goal, there is surprising lot of options.

There has been someone else with similar idea too as there is this mod

There is nothing better than imagination of man
When im not playing LFS, i usually find myself playing RBR. Its such an intense and (as close as it gets) realistic rally game. I love turning up the speakers real loud.... everything is nuts.... between the car sounds, the co-driver flapping off pace notes, and all the wind noise and gravel noise.... its just a rush.
#17 - VoiD
Quote from JTbo :You need just to use OFP's editor to put blocks to intersections that there are along planned route, we prefer T72s, then you can setup a race, as you know, finns are honest people so we see who is faster as there is no timing actually.

You can of course check where you get announcement of winner if you get first to certain place, you can also set it so that other player's vehicles go kaputt when someone reaches goal, there is surprising lot of options.

There has been someone else with similar idea too as there is this mod

There is nothing better than imagination of man

Thx m8

Have to find the Goldpack now...it must be somewhere in the basement. Haven´t touched it for 2-3 years. But this sounds like a good fun...
Quote from spanks :What do you all do when you're feeling an itch for something different?

You could do as I do
variants are:

Half Life 2
GTA SA: Multiplayer with my friends
GTR2 Nordschleife addon
Go to Work and earn money

Every now and then I fire up Dawn of War for some RTS action. Sometimes when I'm in the mood I'll play Unreal Tournament or NHL 07 as well. If you're into ovals, NASCAR Racing 2003 is top dog in that category.

I had a lot of fun with Battlefield 1942 (Flying the fighter planes and getting into dogfights was fun), especially with the Desert Combat mod. (the desert buggy was fun to race around in)
Quote from Drunken Predator :rFactor demo is hardly good for review, since it only has default cars that quite frankly.. suck pretty bad.. Its a great sim, well worth buying for its price.
GT Legends is good one too, just for the sake of the old cars.. good fun.
How about some different type of gaming? Or maybe find a new real world hobby? World is full of options.. so you just have to go for something.. whats worse you can lose? little money only worth of some cigarettes really.

I might give rfactor a go, and definitely pick up RBR. I've played RBR a couple times, and its really fun...just really hard

I play rts and fps, animate 3d stuff, drag race + work on cars (just got a full baer brakes kit for my '01 Camaro for Christmas :O), and go to school

I think I really do just need to get a job...it'll take up the slack a bit in my schedule :P

I was really hoping there was some lost gem that I hadn't heard of somehow, but it seems I was bein a bit too optimistic

An oldie but goldie - GPL - Grand Prix Legends. Lots of tracks, hundreds of them. 67 Formula cars, physics and feel is excellent (there are also a couple mods). Check for more info at www.racesimcentral.com
I play almost all of the sim-racers. Besides LFS, mostly GPL and rFactor (particularly with RealFeel- in the mods that it works correctly, it's pretty awesome). The pre-RACE SimBin games are good as well. In my opinion none of them is hands-down more realistic than the others (including LFS)- they each have their own strengths and weaknesses in various areas. I tend to go on binges, moving from one sim to the next and back again as I grow tired of them. It's always refreshing to come back to any one of them after playing the others for a while.

Also, there's Netkar Pro of course- if they would only release the damn patch already -incredible but yet to be fully realized potential in that one. Unfortunately, developer/community relations are exactly the opposite of LFS. Absolutely fantastic physics and FFB. Of course, it's entirely open-wheel, though there is that Osella hillclimb thingy that should be added someday and looks incredible (I'm certainly not holding my breath waiting for it though).

RBR is, of course, the best rally game ever made.

RACER, a free sim, is worth checking out though it's a little complicated getting into it and it's certainly not for everyone.

Other than that, you might rarely find me playing X3: Reunion, though that requires a huge time investment that I can't quite bring myself to give. I like Rome: Total War. Operation Flashpoint is great (Armed Assault was a little disappointing though), and I muck about in some flight sims when the fancy strikes me. The new Sam & Max games are great too, though there isn't much point in replaying them.

Overall if you're looking for something to mess around with, I'd recommend checking out the GPL 2004 Demo, it's free and you can use all the addon tracks and mods for GPL with it('66 is coming out any month now!). That is still an incredible sim- at ten years old, that is nothing short of amazing. With all of the graphical updates, great FFB support, and huge selection of tracks, it's impossible not to recommend it. It's got a certain purity to it. I'd start with the 65 mod as the 69 and particularly the 67 cars are quite a handful.

That's all I can think of off hand.

Love,
Aero

ed: Speak of the devil... the GPL 1966 mod was just released!!! (if anyone here even cares )

http://1966gpl.speedgeezers.net/index.php?p=home - you'd be better of going to RSC and looking for a mirror though... 1.1k/s is a wee bit slow for my taste. I haven't had a 9600baud modem in well over a decade and I had hoped to leave those sorts of speeds behind me.

The want for more
(24 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG