The online racing simulator
Pi
(56 posts, started )

:nerd:
Quote from The General Lee :Your drunk at 9pm on a Thursday night?

That's a nice way to get yourself ready and warmed up for the weekend
What exactly is the point to this thread?
Talking about the wonders of Pi
Don't you find it amazing that a mere circle has a number as odd as pi at it's root! Why 3.14159... Why not 3. Or 17.

If I didn't have a brain I'd think it was divine intervention, it's that astounding.
Oh god... you nerds!
Why not just link to 3.1415926535897932384626433832 ... 399375105820974944592.com?

@Jakg: Calculating the run-time for 1bn isn't just as simple as scaling it up linearly. Pi calculations don't even exhibit linearity in the currently known best case (which is O((log n)^2) with Machin's formula.

Edit: I could go into far more detail... but I don't really see the point.
Geekiest url in the world.

Anyway, nothing wrong with being drunk at 9pm on a Thursday night. I was drunk by 7pm. My excuse is that it was the staff xmas party and it had been a free bar since 1pm. I apologise for any off comments last night but I don't think I posted much. My only disappointment was working my way through the bar's whiskey collection, to find out of the hundred+ bottles of spirits, only 4 were whiskeys.
Bob, Are we allowed to fill a whole post to the brim with Pi?

Is it possible to break the forum with a post thats really long? (not that I would want to)
Quote from JO53PHS :Bob, Are we allowed to fill a whole post to the brim with Pi?

Is it possible to break the forum with a post thats really long? (not that I would want to)

I'm intrigued as well

I managed to send all 1 million digits on allpoetry.com. The mods on there didn't bat an eyelid. I got an 'oh god >.>' from the guy I sent it to.
A friend of mine used to know Pi to 100 places... =/
btw, if you click youmustchoose.com and say you are always offended, it sends you to disney.com... lol.
Quote from JO53PHS :Bob, Are we allowed to fill a whole post to the brim with Pi?

Yes, but I think it would become sensible at that point to lock the thread.

It won't break the forum layout, the text would be wrapped.
*cue Sam and Max cutscene*
Can I try it? Can I? :P

DK
Well get all the discussion you want to do done before you fill a post to the brim with pi because the thread might get locked (according to bob).

Can u post 1 million digits of pi on a forum and send me a link?
22/7 is the new pi.

Oh, and the last number of pi is 'a'. Aparently, it jumps into a base '11' system after a while.
I've got here a text file generated with Super Pi which is about 32 million decimal places...it's probably the most useless file on my HDD, but it's somehow odd that something as simple as a circle has got it.
Quote from JO53PHS :Well get all the discussion you want to do done before you fill a post to the brim with pi because the thread might get locked (according to bob).

Can u post 1 million digits of pi on a forum and send me a link?

I can e-mail it ya

DK
Here is pi to 1,000,000 places. Utterly pointless, but there you go.

And the reason something as "simple" as a circle has it is because it has an infinite number of side. Every single minute straight line you add to give the appearance of a circle can always have another drawn halfway between.

It's like trying to count the frames of animation when you move your finger. There's always another halfway, because in real life you can't just skip space, you must pass through it
Quote from Dajmin :Here is pi to 1,000,000 places. Utterly pointless, but there you go.

And the reason something as "simple" as a circle has it is because it has an infinite number of side. Every single minute straight line you add to give the appearance of a circle can always have another drawn halfway between.

It's like trying to count the frames of animation when you move your finger. There's always another halfway, because in real life you can't just skip space, you must pass through it

Pi to 1 Million places is old news I'm afraid. If you want to Impress then find it to 1 billion places
Quote from JO53PHS :Pi to 1 Million places is old news I'm afraid. If you want to Impress then find it to 1 billion places

UK Billion (1,000,000,000,000) or US Billion (1,000,000,000)?
Quote from tristancliffe :Don't you find it amazing that a mere circle has a number as odd as pi at it's root! Why 3.14159... Why not 3. Or 17.

If I didn't have a brain I'd think it was divine intervention, it's that astounding.

since youre an engineer you should know that pi is in fact 3

much more amazing that that is that e^j*pi = -1 ... 3 numbers all of them incomprehensible and they result in something simple
or how about e^pi - pi = 20 ?

Quote from Bob Smith :Geekiest url in the world.

only if youre able to memorize it
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :UK Billion (1,000,000,000,000) or US Billion (1,000,000,000)?

It doesn't really matter...

Go for UK billion

Pi
(56 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG