The online racing simulator
Bring back throttle CUT and BLIP
Although i really like the new version, I think the removal of the cut and blip settings puts 'non clutch controller' racers, at a disadvantage! If you drive a manual car in real life, it's a very natural thing to lift off, press clutch, change gear and on the throttle again. Its a timing thing! You have been conditioned through driving in 'real life' to perform this task with absolute precision. The way LFS is now is totally unnatural if you have a two pedal controller. It doesn't feel right to tap off without engaging a clutch when changing gear. Its quite frustrating.

I'm not a quick racer by anyone's standards, but I enjoy the excitement of being in a race and doing the best I can. With the removal of these settings, things have gotten a whole lot more difficult!

Anyway, my suggestion is, put the settings back, but controllable by the host. That way the servers and racers that want absolute realism (and when I can afford a G25, I'll join you) can set it. Other servers that are not so strict can allow it. Its a fair compromise.
They're not coming back, get over it. We have to learn to adapt to the game as it changes over time, not whine about it getting harder and harder. I have been using my right foot for the gas and brake up until now (like I do in real life), but now I have to start using my left foot to brake, and my right foot to blip (I only have 2 pedals, so heel-and-toe wouldn't be practical). It's much more realistic now, and those options should not come back. :twocents:
I have a 2-pedal wheel. In fact, mine also only has a 90 degree rotation as well, so I'm at a bigger disadvantage than most of you lot

But I turned off autoclutch and set up a button on my (only 4-button!) wheel. It's a far better driving experience. Yes it's harder, but it's also realistic. You can't boast about how amazingly realistic LFS is on one thing but then complain when other things are brought up to match it.

As I said in another thread, if you had spent all your time driving without damage, using the walls to help you turn, would you complain when damage was added and you couldn't drive that way any more? No, you'd learn to deal with it and adapt your driving style to suit.

P.S. If anyone is feeling sorry for me, I will accept a Logitech G25 as a Xmas present
#4 - Rikje
I don't think these things make you slower. You have to get used to it but once you do it shouldn't be a problem at all. I have a DFP , so no clutch and really it doesn't matter much. Still doing the same laptimes
Quote from Dajmin :I have a 2-pedal wheel. In fact, mine also only has a 90 degree rotation as well, so I'm at a bigger disadvantage than most of you lot

But I turned off autoclutch and set up a button on my (only 4-button!) wheel. It's a far better driving experience. Yes it's harder, but it's also realistic. You can't boast about how amazingly realistic LFS is on one thing but then complain when other things are brought up to match it.

As I said in another thread, if you had spent all your time driving without damage, using the walls to help you turn, would you complain when damage was added and you couldn't drive that way any more? No, you'd learn to deal with it and adapt your driving style to suit.

P.S. If anyone is feeling sorry for me, I will accept a G25 as a Xmas present

Lol, 90 degrees and only 4 buttons, did you buy it from Fisher Price

Yeah i feel sorry for ya Merry Xmas

And on topic, no no no and no, it's gone and it should stay gone. I hated it with a passion, just that silly little chirrup noise drove me nuts. So it's harder now and you won't be as quick, so what, always remember "no matter how slow you there will always be someone slower." (usually me :shy
#6 - ajp71
Like I've already said I didn't have to adapt my (2 pedal) driving style for this patch, it's not hard and don't start the unrealistic rubbish, you drive the road cars in LFS with exactly the same throttle inputs as you drive a sequential car IRL and in LFS (FBM)
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :They're not coming back, get over it. We have to learn to adapt to the game as it changes over time, not whine about it getting harder and harder. :twocents:

Firstly, I wasn't whining! Just mentioning how unnatural it feels. I will adapt and get used to it, I have no choice! Its a matter of evolution!
Quote from Mazz4200 :Lol, 90 degrees and only 4 buttons, did you buy it from Fisher Price

Yeah i feel sorry for ya Merry Xmas

Sir, you are truly a gentleman and a cheap bastard

It's a Saitek R440. It was cheap at a time when I had no money and wanted a wheel. It does the job, but I still can't justify spending all the cash needed for a Logitech G25*.

*Clarified for sarcastic swine
#9 - ajp71
Intresting pedal arrangement... but I hope you didn't pay the RRP, you could have a new DFP for that
I think it adds alot more excitement now that shifting is no longer perfect everytime, it felt way too sterile before.

Using autoclutch aswell, just 2 pedals.
Autocutting is no longer needed at all.

However, for combined axis users I suggest a blip button option ...
Any kind of optional auto-blip feature would just defeat the point of removing them in the first place. I also thought combined pedals is something that you can only find in really old wheels.
Quote from Crommi :Any kind of optional auto-blip feature would just defeat the point of removing them in the first place.

Not autoblip. Just a button to press for it to blip.

Quote :I also thought combined pedals is something that you can only find in really old wheels.

Pads are basically combined pedals as well.
Wouldn't keybinding the throttle work?

Edit: Dajmin, seriously go get some half-decent set instead of that Saitek
Even G25 ain't that expensive if you realise that it will last you alot longer than any other expensive part in your PC, for an example I've been racing with the same Wingman FF GP since December 2001.
Quote from Crommi :Wouldn't keybinding the throttle work?

No, if you bind a button to the throttle and an axis to throttle/brake it won't work.
Quote from Crommi :
Even G25 ain't that expensive if you realise that it will last you alot longer than any other expensive part in your PC, for an example I've been racing with the same Wingman FF GP since December 2001.

My FF GP ripped in two after 18 months of (ab)use
I think the problem is that people really got used to not lift the foot when upshifting and not to think about blip as it was automatic untill now..
I'm trying to get an answer, in what cars is it neccesary to lift the foot? My team mate says that every racing car nowadays have an auto cut and you can stay on the throttle for the upshift so why remove it in LFS? Maybe remove it for road cars but for XFR, GTR's etc is it real not to have that auto cut option?
Quote from Boris Lozac :Maybe remove it for road cars but for XFR, GTR's etc is it real not to have that auto cut option?

Don't actually understand why the small GTR cars don't have sequentials but H-gate. I guess they are considered as lightly modified club racing cars. But FXR and XRR do have ignition cut, which works exactly like auto cut used to. FZR has H-gate, which wouldn't been that unrealistic in a racing Porsche few years ago. It's to balance things out a bit and make it a bit more interesting. And they are on the same level, roughly as GT2 cars, so they are not the most high tech and most advanced cars there are. And the single seaters, FBM aside, all have ignition cut.

Can't how they are that much off to be honest.
Quote from Blackout :But FXR and XRR do have ignition cut, which works exactly like auto cut used to.

They do eh, didn't have the time to test all cars... What about FOX and F08 (sorry, i'm at work, not being lazy)?
Maybe the right thing after all would be to allow auto cut on all racing cars, XFR, UFR, FZR, FXR, XRR, FOX, F08 and to remove it for road going cars? I think that's the most reasonable choice... i mean if they don't lift in real word than we shouldn't be forced to, especially because it's been that way since the begining of LFS...
What about auto blip, so some real cars even have that on auto or you can assign a button for it?? I'm all for realism but if a cup version of Clio for example have an auto cut than i want it for XFR to have it..
Quote from Boris Lozac :They do eh, didn't have the time to test all cars... What about FOX and F08 (sorry, i'm at work, not being lazy)?

Quote from Blackout :the single seaters, FBM aside, all have ignition cut.

Quote :What about auto blip, so some real cars even have that on auto or you can assign a button for it?? I'm all for realism but if a cup version of Clio for example have an auto cut than i want it for XFR to have it..

I think that for starters, the gearbox should be semi-auto to have automatic blip, like Enzo or F1 car for example. Can't really tell how advanced is the ignition cut, and how common, but you will need to have sequential gearbox for that to work I think. If the car doesn't have that, it can't have the ignition cut either. And I really doubt some entry level racing class would allow such to keep the cost down.
Quote from Blackout :I think that for starters, the gearbox should be semi-auto to have automatic blip, like Enzo or F1 car for example. Can't really tell how advanced is the ignition cut, and how common, but you will need to have sequential gearbox for that to work I think. If the car doesn't have that, it can't have the ignition cut either. And I really doubt some entry level racing class would allow such to keep the cost down.

Oh, so all single seaters aside FBM have it, thanks, i missread that..
Anyway, since i'm having a discussion with my teammate who have some kind of real life racing experience, he said that even here in Serbia, racing Yugos (you now Yugo, the crappiest car in the world, from Serbia ) have a throttle cut, he said it's a cheap modification and they all use it..
I think that the removal of auto-blip and auto-cut is probably the best thing to happen to LFS in a very long time. Certainly the best thing since the improved tire physics way back in version T or whatever it was.
Funny thing is, I always thaught that I HAD to let off the throttle to shift, even before the latest patch.

So I'm already used to doing it.

If you can get another wheel and peddal set, you can have 4 peddals,
that being 2 combined sets.

I have a cheap Nexxtech steering wheel and an older interact V3. Combine that gives me 4 pedals, and because of LFS's open ended calibration system, I can use one of the peddals on the V3 set as a clutch peddal.

If you have 2 wheels and a FFB joystick, you can have a clutch and shifter without buying a G25, it's not as good, but it works for me.
Quote from kingfishersa :Although i really like the new version, I think the removal of the cut and blip settings puts 'non clutch controller' racers, at a disadvantage!

You're wrong though, aren't you?

There is only one real benefit from using a clutch pedal in LFS: In the road cars you can shift up faster than the auto-clutch shift. In the race cars (XFR and up) the auto-clutch is so fast that there is no benefit from clutching manually.

But you also lose time in braking areas and corners; there's the delay from switching to the brake pedal and back again with your right foot, and it's harder to do a smooth transition from brake to throttle and keep the car stable in the corners. You're also more likely to mis-time shifts completely, or miss the brake pedal completely when twisting your foot to bring it over the brake (it's embarrassing when this happens!), etc.

In short: Racers using a clutch pedal are at a disadvantage, but we do it because we think it's more fun.
It is funny in a way, this situation.

Remeber why you probbably started to play LFS. I bet my ball (still need one LOL), that we all have been talking to people we know that LFS is very realistic and what not. That it feels like u drive real race car and such. And now, while it tends to get even closer to reallity, some of the same people are talking here that it is sht hard, and that we want some of the arcade solutions back. And what do we say to those same people now? Well i say: "ZOMG man, u have to lift off and sht now, just like you have to do it real car!!" What do you say to them?
Feeling desperate? I know i lost 1.5 sec off my times bcz of that, and i ain't crying am i? Its the same when petrol goes up. Everybody's bitchin' but yet all remain driving, same will happen here.

Salut!

EDIT: sry i haven't read whole post, so forgive if i doubled somebody up.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG