The online racing simulator
What game got you into racing?
(144 posts, started )
I also did the Hard Drivin' thing back when I was a kid at the local bowling alley. That game taught me how to drive a stick at the age of 9!

Indy 500 was the first PC racing game I really played. Followed by Indycar Racing (I still have the game/box)!

Let's see if anyone can remember this. I can't for the life of me, remember the name of it. It wasn't really a game, as we're talking about. I remember a toy/game, it came with a steering wheel, an attachment for your TV that had a small car on it facing the TV that moved left and right with the steering wheel at the bottom of the screen. Your suppoed to throw in a VHS, and drive the car on the road on the tape which is in 1st person view. Your supposed to reset the counter on the wheel before you start, and it makes a god awful buzzing noise when your off the road, and the counter drops. It read where the road is by a sensor on the car. At the bottom of the screen on the tape, there was a black spot where the road was, and on off the road, it was white. So when the sensor saw white, it penalized you. OMG, so many memories!!! Someone has to help me remember this one!!!!!!
For me, it was LFS. Really!
I remember the days when i watched drift videos on youtube and tried to do the same on the XFG at carpark on the demo. I spent nearly 2 weeks trying that before realising it can only be done with an RWD.
LFS brought me into automotive racing, no doubt about that.
what was the name of F1 simulator on AMIGA, with cockpit view and Monaco track, i think game was produced 1994. That was the one for me, dunno the name, anyone please if you know tell me
edit: I played it at 1997, with only 8 years old
F1 by Lankhor?
Revs then (revs +4 tracks) on the BBC B was the first game that got me hooked.

Then progressed through:

test drive, F1GP, GP2, vroom on Atari ST
indy 500, icr, icr2, nascar, nascar 2, GPL PC
Gran Turismo, GT 2, GT3, GT4 on playstation / ps2
Forza on xbox

i've tried to curb my habit of buying consoles for 1 or 2 driving games and concentrated on pc. Mostly LFS and rFactor at the moment.
I just re-read the thread title & it says " What game got you into racing?"

It does'nt say Sim Racing. So my correct answer would be:

No game got me into racing I have been attending motorsport events since I was a featus! .
Quote from Mazz4200 :No such thing as computers when i were a lad !
(He posted a pic of a slot car track)

This is true. I can remember the huge fight when I was 8 years old on Christmas. My brother an I couldn't get the controllers away from my dad or uncle so that we could play with our present .

I'll go one step further, as the slot car track reminded me of my absolute first experience with a racing game. It was a handheld called Digital Derby, 1978, I was 6 years old when I got it. I played the crap out of that one.

See, I was shifting gears even back then, no automatic for me, hehehe .
Quote from N I K I :what was the name of F1 simulator on AMIGA, with cockpit view and Monaco track, i think game was produced 1994. That was the one for me, dunno the name, anyone please if you know tell me
edit: I played it at 1997, with only 8 years old

It was simply called "Formula 1 Grand Prix" and it was a blast.
It was Sportscar GT that really got me hooked though.
Toca World Touring Cars
Super Mario Kart! SNES!
haha grand turismo 2 was my first ever game i got after getting a ps1
Test Drive I @ C64 probably, even there was one game in Vic-20 where you drove along road and car hood was yellow, side of road there was white bars or something like that it was, can't remember name as it was not quite yesterday :P
single player arcade would have been Pole Position, Hard Drivin, Super Sprint and Outrun

multiplayer the award with ou a doubt goes to NASCAR 2002 and 2003 seasons by Sierra and Papyrus until those GREEDY FARKERS Electronic Arts bought the rights to all the tracks and proceeded to ruin the most awesome MP racing game ever........awwww so SAD :-(

but who can forget Motor City Online !!!!!!!
Quote from SmokeyAU :single player arcade would have been Pole Position, Hard Drivin, Super Sprint and Outrun

Outrun was the first ultra realistic racing game I had ever played. I was on vacation around 15 years old, at the arcade in Myrtle Beach, and a bikini caught the corner of my eye. The car ran off the road and crashed as my head turned towards the visual sighting I had just witnessed. Absolute realism in it's finest
For me it was Test Drive on the C-64. First at a friends home and later when I got my own C-64 I discovered Gran Prix Circuit.

I know how disappointed I was when I had the Amiga 500 and got Grand Prix Circuit for it. The Dials for Oil and Water where not working. I couldn´t believe this, because the "500" was "better" than the C-64.

But then there came Indy 500 (which I later played on the PC too... with fluid graphics!)
Crash Bandicoot!!! Only because it came with a demo which had the Formula 1 game on it, murray walker screaming "go go go!" will get anyone into racing games.
(season was based on 1995, you could only drive as Damon Hill , I still have the demo! )
Like any stereotypical young (READ : UNDER 13) person who was into racing, I got into it by Gran Turismo. 'Course, I was also a wimp back then too (as a driver, anyways) because I don't use manual back then. I also played a bit of Sega Touring Car Championship (PC) and Daytona USA (the strange and obscure PC port).

The rest, of course, is unremembered.
GT2 got me into racing when it came it i was a rather smal kid back then

Sfter that i got geof Grandmons GP4
that was a cool game sim
not sure but i think it was newman haas racing on the ps1
I would say Gran Turismo for me. It was really a challenge to complete to I-A and Super license back then. Virtua Racing is the first game that makes me wonder about physics engine because the physics in Sega Genesis and Arcade are very very different.

I don't know////
No game at all. Was already a racing fan since birth.

BUT, when i first got my Mega Drive (AKA Genesis in N.America) it came with a 10 in 1 cartridge, which featured Super Monaco GP and Super Hang-On.

Totally hooked on SMGP, until this guy G.Ceara showed up, and smoked me

Then i swapped consoles with a friend for a short time (he had a SNES). So i got TOP GEAR. It was (still is) awesome. We had NOS in a racing game way before that NFSU crap

Recently i got my hands at Top Gear again, just for a few minutes. Pulled off 444 kmh with the white car :o

What game got you into racing?
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG