The online racing simulator
Skin Project
(25 posts, started )
Skin Project
Hey guys, This is my first skin I actually make so all tips are welcome!

I'm making this skin for my own private use, the skin is pretty much basic for now. I'm planning on putting not to much decals on it only a handmade logo and Race number I think but i'm not so sure yet.

Can you guys tell me what you think of it so far? I have no clue on how to make a logo from scratch so also tips for that are more then welcome!

I hope you guys like it and that you can provide me with alot of usefull tips!

The Skins:
Attached images
Testing Front.JPG
Testing Rear.JPG
Testing Side.JPG
Post jpg. files please.
Changed it to .jpg files
Well...put something on it and see what it looks like, it's the only way to find out. :P
The writing on the windshield banner isnt straight with the banner itself.

Other than that I like it. The colour scheme looks good, and the neat touches like the yellow FXO logo and yellow front splitter are neat.

Could put some kind of vinyl design on it perhaps. Find one on google to your tastes and trace it with the lasso, fill, and apply to skin.

About logo making. Usualy its just a load of shapes with text put on top, let your immagination run wild and you might be suprised
hehe thanks for the advice guys! I will post the advancements later on!

Edit: How do I straighten up the writing on the windshield with the banner?
Quote from Frost_More :
Edit: How do I straighten up the writing on the windshield with the banner?

In photoshop, its a case of using the arc (or arch?) tool in the text settings (next to font, alignment, etc), and adjust until its straight on the viewer.
Thanks I will check it out

Edit: hmm looked for it but I can't find it, could you be more specific or make a screenie? would be much of a help ^^

Thanks in advance!
Here is a little update I made. But I still cant find out how to straighten the windschield banner

Update:
Attached images
Testing Side.JPG
Just remember that the sides and top of the car are stretched slightly, so any shape placed there will be distorted by default. I normally find that shrinking by around 78-81% is enough to make the rendered shape about right.

The text shaping tool, let's see if I can do this from memory...
When you have the text tool selected, there should be a button on the topbar of an A with a curved line below it. Clicking that should open up a window with various settings on. These do stuff like change the arc of the text (the one you want), or create a bulge, or something else I can't remember.
To fit the window mask you'll want the arc setting to be about -7 or -8 IIRC.

It's not bad so far though. I wouldn't use colours that bright, but since it's not done yet I can't really say. I'm hoping to see a nice bit of contrast in there somewhere
Damm, still can't find it. Maybe it is because I still use photoshop 6.0 instead of CS 2/3?

Thanks for the advice Dajmin I will take a look at it because I also was thinking the decal looked a bit stretched at the side, but I though it was just me

I have to say that I realy like the colors though but maybe I can put up a nice logo with some contrast or something we will see

I will post new updates later on, int he mean time let those tips coming!

Edit: Hmm I made the image smaller but it keeps looking stretched, but then smaller. I first select the image then go to the option image. Then Image site and then put it on % instead of pixels and then will in 83%. Is this the right method or am I doing something wrong?
You need to shrink the horizontal width.

I've got no idea about your program so I can't help with you that.
3 ways to curve the banner.

1. If you typed the logo on the windscreen banner then when you type it, on the top tool bar, 2nd from the right, there is a symbol of a T with a curves double headed arrow underneath it, click that. Ont he drip down menu select arc, and then bend to -7% IIRC, leaving the distortion alone.

2. If your using photoshop CS2 or newer (might work in CS can't remember) create a path with the pen tool along the bottom edge of the windscreen banner. Select the type tool and hover over the end of the pen tool curve and the type tool will change slightly. Click and type what you want and it will follow the curve you previously made with the pen tool.

3. If it is a logo you have on the banner e.g. A copy and pasted logo. Place the logo in the middle of the documents, with the logo 90 degrees anti clockwaise from horizontal. Go to filter -> distort -> sheer. Move the line in the little box around to form a curve, click ok and the curve is applied to the image. For the windscreen banner IIRC you need to create a point in the middle of the line and move it to the right about 1/3 of a box.

I don't of a way to straighten the banner so IMO best option is to re-do it using one of the above 3.

As for shrinking the logo's to account for skin stretching, there is the exact numbers somewhere on here but as a rough guide you need to shrink down to around 80% of the original width for the side of the car (obviously becomes 80% of the height if you are placing logo on the hood, front or rear of the car.) If you want to find out the number best way I can think of is create a perfect circle on the skins, look at it in cmx viewer and shrink the cirlce until it appears as a circle in cmx, then you will have the amount you need to reduce the size by. My way of doing it though it to copy the logo into my skin file at its normal size, free transform it (ctrl+t) and at the top there are percentages and angle etc, lower the width (or height) to ~80% and then check it in cmx viewer then make any small adjustments. The method I use take longer than knowing the correct figure but, and this is only my personal taste, the figure is always ~80% and on some logo's I have compressed by the figure look too compress, or still to stretched so I had to alter them anyway.

Hope this helps, if you need more explination let me know.
Thanks alot Greboth, I found the Arch option I changed the windshield and it looks better now.

Although I don't know how to shrink the decal I only ned to shrink the width or the total picture? Because I can only change the total picture because they are connected with eachother?

Thanks alot for the tips guys, keep them coming!
Well, search something in the lines "aspect ratio".
Quote from Frost_More :Thanks alot Greboth, I found the Arch option I changed the windshield and it looks better now.

Although I don't know how to shrink the decal I only ned to shrink the width or the total picture? Because I can only change the total picture because they are connected with eachother?

Thanks alot for the tips guys, keep them coming!

Its no problem

I am not sure exactly what you are asking but if your asking what I think then - You do not need to reduce the image size. If you open the decal up in its own file, copy it as it is and paste it into you skins file. It will automatically place it on a new layer. Now if you free transform (shortcut is ctrl+t) you can resize to any size you want by dragging one of the 8 points. Also if you press ctrl and click one of the points you can move it independantly. Also when in free transform at the top it give you details of the image. ONce your decal is resized double left click in the box or press enter to de-select free transform.

Add me on msn if you have any other questions
Hey Greboth,

Thanks alot that is working! Altough how do I know how much to shrink it? Or is it just a try and found out methode?

Also I added you to my msn.

Thanks for the tips, I will post a new screene as soon as the decals are placed right!
Quote from Frost_More :Hey Greboth,

Thanks alot that is working! Altough how do I know how much to shrink it? Or is it just a try and found out methode?

There is no 'perfect' ratio as depending on where your skinning on the car. If you are skinning onto a flat surface of the car (rear spoilers are a good example) then the ratio will be about 80% of its original width to compensate for the skin being stretched. If though you are placing a decal onto an angled surface of the car (front end of the bonnet on the FZ's is a good example) then it is ~ 80% for normal skin compensation AND X% for the stretch due to the angle. I have attached simple drawing to show what I mean, on the left the decal is on the skin file and onto a flat surface so no extra stretching occurs. On the right though it is on an angle so the decal gets stretched more.

Best anyone can say though is ~80% compression but you may need to alter it again to make it perfect.

Quote :Also I added you to my msn.

Accepted you
Attached images
decal stretch.jpg
Allright guys I found a little time to update the Skins. I changed the font on the Windshield banner and Rear spoiler. I straightend up the tekst on the windshield banner and reduced the size of the decals.

Take a look and tell me if it is any better!
Attached images
Testing Front.JPG
Testing Side.JPG
Ok, guys took me some time but I think they are done right now, Im pretty happy with the results.

Tell me what you guys think, and maybe I can change some little things!
Attached images
Serenity Front.JPG
Serenity High Cam.JPG
Serenity Rear.JPG
Serenity Side.JPG
You are doing a good job man
Thanks, I'm glad you like it!
Here is another little update, I gave the wolf a shadow so it looks more real now take a look!
Attached images
Serenity Side.JPG
Serenity High Cam.JPG
Looks nice showing good progress there
Nice skin man...coming along nicely

Skin Project
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG