The online racing simulator
So, Hurricane Dean
(49 posts, started )
It's now 10am local time, there's dead wind and it's not raining yet. Apart from the grey cloud covering the sky in every direction I look, the only thing giving away the hurricane is the plummeting temperatures. It's not warm enough to perspirate without effort anymore. Dean's no longer on an absolute head-on course, nor is it predicted to be cat 5 when it hits Jamaica (if it does) but either way the next 6-12h will be quite.. interesting.
just don't tell your dad that, so you can stay on the roof longer
Got a camera? Some before/after shots would be interesting...I guess.
they named a hurricane after me.... is that good or bad?

Hope all goes well m8.
I was in a catagory one storm here, outside of Washington DC once. It was really windy, and a 90mph+ sustained wind was measured at a local airport. I can't imagine being in a storm with 145mph wind! How does anything stay in the ground?
hmm the only hurricanes he have here are the storms that are weak cause they hit the west coast of america or spawned there... i recall having a cat 2 storm here , but you should be ok , id say that hurricane will pass without Too much damage cause... if it dont , dig a hole in the ground and burry all your dearest belongings in it ( wrapped in plastic or whatever ) to ensure it dont get damaged
Dennis One is also Renamed after me

And good luck again
Quote from theirishnoob :hmm the only hurricanes he have here are the storms that are weak cause they hit the west coast of america or spawned there... i recall having a cat 2 storm here , but you should be ok , id say that hurricane will pass without Too much damage cause... if it dont , dig a hole in the ground and burry all your dearest belongings in it ( wrapped in plastic or whatever ) to ensure it dont get damaged

I'm going to move to wherever they get the most huricanes, but live in a bunker with huge three-phase cummins diesel generators, a huge room full of batteries, an underground fuel tank, and a well for drinking water. Then, in the event of a Hurricane, or Nuclear Holocaust, I could survive.

EDIT: And hydroponic farms, and a few cattle, with an underground field of hay. :P O.o and also a garage, with an elevator for the car.
best of luck mate
Keep us posted man, from reports on the news it should be there by now and passing over at 20 mph.
From the BBC weather website

Quote :Temperature: 25°C (77°F), Wind Direction: E, Wind Speed: 173 mph, Relative Humidity: 94%, Pressure: 1001mB, Steady, Visibility: Dense Fog

I love how it just reels it off as if 173mph winds are normal

Theres a few maps here too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/w ... merica/cloud.shtml#no_url
Just saw some footage on the news. Hope everything's ok back there.
Back in my home town, years ago we had this freakish storm 'thing', called a micro-burst, which was like a huge bouncing ball of wind. It came from the ocean, and bounced through our little town, and everywhere it landed, it just obliterated. It smashed right down onto the high-school, a kids dream come true! Very strange phenomenon.
Quote from aston martyn :Jamacia was hit and ravaged, so there is a high chance the news over there warned them to GTFO the island and head for some other place,

I heard on the news today there are nine people confirmed dead so far. Most people didn't want to leave their homes because they thought they'd get looted.
Quote from wheel4hummer :I'm going to move to wherever they get the most huricanes.....
.....in the event of a Hurricane...... I could survive.

You know, you'd survive just as well by *not* moving somewhere where there's lots of hurricanes :P
Hello again from Jamaica. Having read some of the comments above, I can reveal (gasp!) that the news might have exaggerated slightly if they've really said Jamaica was "ravaged". Dean slowed down and became cat 2 or 3 when its effects were the worst. It also turned south and passed so far from the isle that hurricane force winds weren't there to be experienced. All it ended up being was a glorified tropical storm. Unfortunately Jamaica's a bit slow a country to recover. Got power back two days ago and there's still no running water (reason: the pump station hasn't been put back in the grid..). Kingston had power long before the north coast and they probably have water too.

On the downside the rains and the pace fo recovery have prompted plenty of Dengue fever cases, myself included. It's a very very mild strain though, no hemorraghing or anything, just aching like hell and running high fever. Been a really awesome holiday to Jamaica this time round. Got flu off someone on the plane in, then the hurricane, got bitten by a friend's dog and then got the fever when there was no power or water >.<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever
Well its good to hear that you're (technically) ok. Hope you get over the fever soon.

Look after yourself.
I have always fear about the dengue..., Get better mate!
Quote from Origamiboy :Well its good to hear that you're (technically) ok. Hope you get over the fever soon.

Look after yourself.

dengue its no ok.....
Quote from MAGGOT :IIRC the little flag beside your name represents the country where your ISP is based, not your country of residence.

In any case, good luck mate!

That would mean that i am a Kazakh
Get better man. Glad to hear you are mostly ok. Was getting a bit worried over here. Shy
Hey man how are You? How's the dengue? I hope You are fine

So, Hurricane Dean
(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG