The online racing simulator
Remove All Chicanes
(103 posts, started )
Quote from Gimpster :Chicanes seperate the Racers from the Drivers and Wan-a-bees. When was the last time you saw a pair of cars stay side by side through a chicane and not connect or back off. Not often because many of you people, and I am talking to those the want to have the tracks made easier, do not have the skill, patience or insite to pick a propper place to pass, wait for a good passing oppertunity and think the you have some god given right to lap slower cars and they should jusp out of your way instantly.

Ok, sorry for ranting but if you want easy go play NFS.

So, according to what I just read here, and assuming the chicanes are largely flat out (which is verifiably true)... the chicanes force racing to cease so that you can go single file through an unnecessary, flat-out constriction in the track. That doesn't sound so good to me. No one in this thread who supports the OP wants the tracks made easier--they want more challenging corners that provide good racing. The majority of the chicanes in LFS don't right now.

You frankly seem to be bringing quite a bit of unrelated frustrations into this argument and it's making your own words not make a whole lot of sense.

"Go play NFS" is about the most played out dismissal you can use around here. I kind of expected more from you, Gimp.
Quote from mrodgers :Nope, because I know him and he's posted in other topics of this interest as well. I do know he is speaking of the flatout driving straight through the LFS chicanes....

Tell me one chicane in LFS that you DON'T go flat out through (except SO Classic). In every chicane, the slowing and braking is due to a corner right at the chicane entrance (exit in reverse) rather than the chicane itself. FE Green on the main straight (and I'll add coming off the oval at KY GP since I don't curb hop) is the only ones I can think of that you actually brake for the chicane, rather than for a corner right before the chicane. LFS chicanes are nothing more than acceleration zones after navigating the corner. Take the chicanes away and it changes nothing with the speed of that section because the slowing is caused by the corners, not the chicanes. Note my examples in the post above. Remove each of those chicanes and does anything change? Nope.

So the topic called "Remove all chicanes" is not about removing all chicanes. Okay, what planet are you on? The guy is complaining about chicanes not making him slow enough yet at the same time he wants to go fast because the game is called Live for speed.

Where in the definition of chicane, does it say it can't be after a corner or before a corner (since it's in reverse). Where in the definition of chicane does it say must make you go slower than a 90 degree corner, which is also pretty fast in LFS, hence the "so you want to remove all corners too" comments.

Since you named a lot of the chicanes already, try AS cadet, AS club FE club or any of the chicanes without lifting off, braking or adjusting your line to get through it, do this in the FZR.

Oh right you just realised that slower cars are going flat out but the faster cars cant. Nice one!

Why do you think people cut, why do you think there is barriers there, because people are driving OFF the track to get better times.

Your problem is not with the chicanes.
does aston's eau rouge/corkscrew qualify as a chicane?
Quote from squidhead :does aston's eau rouge/corkscrew qualify as a chicane?

I think it would, when I raced in the LFSCAR league race a while back at AS Club, I saw several people (including myself) either spin out on that bend, or plow into the wall trying to get it right.
-1 ofcourse.
It would be +1 if you said make those chicanes on Kyoto slower and harder to drive, or add some chicanes on Aston...
Quote from mrodgers :
Tell me one chicane in LFS that you DON'T go flat out through (except SO Classic).

Bl gp rev, the first chicane. With XRT and probably many other cars, you have to brake at the entrance, then full throttle and brake for the 2nd, much slower, exit corner.

Quote from mrodgers :
Remove each of those chicanes and does anything change? Nope.

In many chicanes the weight of the car will be at the same side where you will be turning next, look at the above example, or as north rev after the 1st split. Can you tell me how can that happen with single corners? Because the quick weight transfer definitely changes things for me.
-111111 ... where did you saw a track without chicanes? maybe there are some tracks but..
I love how some people jump at the opportunity to claim that anyone who questions the validity of the chicanes is a "noob", or a "wannabe" or can't drive them, or should go and play NFS. Only the elite drivers saying these things of course

I tell you what, let's add more chicanes. BL1 obviously needs one in a position that would make a difference, halfway down the back straight, so let's make it two. FE Gold's sweeper section is a bit dangerously fast, very little run off, so that needs one just past the Club turn-off. South city needs one before the fast turn one under the bridge, and why not stick one on the back straight too. Westhill is far too fast in some places, so that needs chicanes after every other corner, but in keeping with LFS, let's make them just as fast, and just as dangerous, that'll be realistic. Aston and Kyoto are fine, they just probably need about 12 chicanes each. That'll really sort the men from the "noobs" and "wan-a-bees".
Quote from sinbad :Westhill is far too fast in some places, so that needs chicanes after every other corner [...]

Imo the first Westhill chicane is quite dangerous with its tyres. I think we need a chicane before the chicane.
Quote from felplacerad :Imo the first Westhill chicane is quite dangerous with its tyres. I think we need a chicane before the chicane.

I don't that is needed, speed bump would work much better, and if it's made of pie...hmmm
Quote from Cargo :Before I make an Improvement Suggestion I thought I'd drag by the General mob.

Chicanes -- what are they good for?

Most real life tracks install or build-in chicanes in order to slow the cars down for safety.
We are virtual, there is zero safety to worry about. We should be going hella fast (and usually are).

There are several chicanes that are simple "cut here" markers. And servers have taken as many steps as possible to put in bumpers to stave people off from them. Is this is so, Remove the Chicane.

In general, if any Track is being reviewed for udpates from the devs, they should first look at any chicanes on that track and do all possible to remove them.

This is Live For Speed after all.

(just a thought, not a whine)

LMAO - That's ridiculous. Chicanes are about weight transfer from one side to the other in quick succession and often while on the brakes or power. They can be very challenging. They are also a total buzz as you are often 'threading the eye of a needle' and pin point accuracy is required.
#62 - Gunn
LFS chicanes are taken flat out? In what car? In top gear? Is "Flat Out" top speed or just with your foot flat to the boards in any gear?

I do know from other threads that some people think any s-shaped section is a chicane, which is untrue. The only chicane in LFS which seems to be able to be taken flat out is the one at FE Green near the start/finish line. And some people only manage to do so with their eyes shut I am sure.
The chicane at FE Club can not be taken at top speed in the cars that I drive. I wouldn't consider "flat out" to mean anything other than the top speed the car can travel. If the chicane were not there at all of course you could go faster. Therefore IMO the chicane, all LFS chicanes, do slow people down.
Man alive! This has to be one of the worse suggestions I've ever read, there's no need for me to explain why because everyone else has but.....just a really bad idea.

Sorry guy but it's kind of funny as well.......
I want MORE chicanes! Thats where all the action happens
The title was badly chosen.
There are a few chicanes that really are taken almost flat out.
FE1 (1st split)
FE2 (1st split)
AS3 (3rd split)
KY3 (3rd split)

FE chicanes are know for causing some mayhen and very nice flyings.
AS3 and KY3 are about two wheels on grass and thoatle up.

Chicanes are suposed to slow down, really slow down, not lift off or a nudge on the brakes.

For me the best chicane is the at BL and BL rev, where people really have to brake hard, there no way of cutting (on BL standard it's possible to cut on the exit).

And btw, chicanes does separate men from boys, chicanes were built to slooooooow down.
I don't really think there is much wrong with the chicanes in the exisiting tracks, they may not be "chicanes" in the real life sense on the word, i.e. put in to slow down potentially dangerous sections of the track, simply because the tracks in LFS have little or no "history".
I personally quite like the tracks as they are, I can't see how removing any chicanes would make anything "better".
Quote from richy :The guy is quite clearly eluding to remove all chicanes, maybe you should re-read it?

Hey richy, I'll stand corrected. After re-reading the OP via Gentlefoot's quoting, it does appear he means remove them, and not sarcastically. I don't know what his intentions are though, whether it's "I can't keep control jumping the curbs like everyone else so I keep my wheels on the track, thus losing time" or "I don't think jumping curbs is realistic, thus I stick to the track and am losing time".

Quote from Gunn :LFS chicanes are taken flat out? In what car? In top gear? Is "Flat Out" top speed or just with your foot flat to the boards in any gear?

By flat-out, I'm talking about taking the chicanes at the maximum speed allowable coming from the previous corner, thus most have a corner entering into or very close so they are simply straight through acceleration zones. I can't think of any LFS chicane that you are at or close to max speed before reaching it, except for FE Green front stretch and possibly AS Club (don't have much experience with AS Club). Like I said earlier, Aston Nat./Hist./GP final chicane, Westhill, Blackwood, FE Club/Gold, all have a corner first which is what you are braking for, then the chicane, which is the acceleration zone coming off the corner, thus foot on the floor driving straight through flat-out.
#68 - Gunn
Quote from mrodgers : I can't think of any LFS chicane that you are at or close to max speed before reaching it...

Blackwood. It's a perfect chicane. Just try Blackwood reversed and enjoy the best config in LFS. The chicane is one of the reasons why.
Quote from Gunn :Blackwood. It's a perfect chicane. Just try Blackwood reversed and enjoy the best config in LFS. The chicane is one of the reasons why.

The longer reversed Aston configs also have some chicanes you reach with good speed.
#70 - Gunn
....and the fast chicane at FE Green....there's a big difference between surviving the chicane and nailing the chicane at high speed. Great timing and some balls of steel can really pay off when racing through there. No room to overtake though, which is a hint some people could benefit from learning.
I agree with the thread starter.

And while were at it, why don't we make all the tracks just one big long straight with no turns at all? That way we could go full speed all the time.
-1 for removal
+1 for considering re-design

One of the chicanes I really do not like is the one after T1 on FE Club/Gold/Black. It's just a place for the race leader to tip the tires onto the racing line and gain more and more advantage each lap (or just make the car behind flip on its roof, if the poor guy is unlucky).

I find the chicanes cool if you want to hotlap (UFR at FE Green, that was a blast!), but not for [close] racing.
Quote from maczo :-1 for removal
+1 for considering re-design

One of the chicanes I really do not like is the one after T1 on FE Club/Gold/Black. It's just a place for the race leader to tip the tires onto the racing line and gain more and more advantage each lap (or just make the car behind flip on its roof, if the poor guy is unlucky).

I find the chicanes cool if you want to hotlap (UFR at FE Green, that was a blast!), but not for [close] racing.

All that needs to be done at the FE chicane is for the barrels to be tied together just like they would be in real life. I've suggested it before. Same goes for a couple of the other chicanes.
Quote from Blackout :The longer reversed Aston configs also have some chicanes you reach with good speed.

Aston National/Historic/GP first chicane? What are you braking there for? Is it the chicane or is it for the corner directly after the chicane. The same arguement as braking for the corner before the chicane. You enter the chicane at full speed and it is used as a braking zone for the corner, same as it is the acceleration zone after the corner for normal direction.

Blackwood reverse, yes that chicane in reverse config is very good. It still in a track configuration serves no purpose since it is at the end of a straight rather than the middle and used to slow down the cars.
remove chicanes? are you .... ? ne-ver !! Its part for drifting and racing and all the other stuff, -1!

Remove All Chicanes
(103 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG