The online racing simulator
top speeds
(366 posts, started )
Quote from The Very End :Well to answer that question, 90 km/h, when I passed a car, thats the most I have driven.

Erm.. I don't know what speed limits are like where you live but here you would fail your driving test for using an inappropriately slow speed on a dual carriageway (here the limit is 70). The only time I subscribe to the whole speed kills stuff is around built up areas, where accidents are often out of the drivers hands and simply hitting a pedestrian slower may make the difference. Apart from that driving round a built up area making lots of noise is disrespectful and makes you look like a muppet.

The vast majority of the time though the speed limit has nothing to do with what is a safe and sensible speed because if you were actually to set a sensible speed limit for a road it would change every 10 yards and still couldn't perceive danger, it's why a computer will never be able to safely drive a car in the real world. Choosing to drive quickly on a road you know isn't necessarily more dangerous than driving down it slowly, if you drive quickly but still well within your limit you'll be far more likely to realise a problem and be able to do something about it before it's too late, in reality modern cars do stop very quickly from fast road speeds if you react soon enough and can keep them on the black stuff. Someone whose driving down a road at the prescribed speed limit and half asleep simply will not recognise the danger as quickly and in the end of the day pile into what ever it is faster than the guy who can react in time, the vast majority of motorway pile ups are caused by people who are either half awake or using stupidly excessive speed for the conditions, doing 70 on a packed motorway through standing water is suicidal but you see it pretty much everytime you drive in those conditions but you see idiots doing it still because it's the speed limit. One of the worst road accidents I've seen was a Metro that was doing about 50 in the slow lane that we passed, then 30 seconds later the motorway ground to a halt (there had been no shortage of warning signs), he just drove straight into a row of stationary cars, obviously the speed of the impact is what led to him being dragged out his burning car but it wasn't his initial speed that had anything to do with it.

The closest call I've had was with a Lancia Fulvia that had obviously gone far too fast into a corner at about 20mph (in a 60 limit) having failed to read the fact there was about an inch of standing water on the road, thankfully he was going up a step gradient at the same time so gravity stopped him, with a large drop on one side of the road and a rock face on the other side there was nothing I could do but try and stop, luckily I had already seen the water ahead and worked out that I didn't fancy going round a blind downhill bend full of standing water in a hurry and had already slowed to walking pace so could stop in time. If we had hit head on at low speed and both ended up down the drop it wouldn't suprise me if it was a double fatality from excessive speed at a fraction of the speed limit, in contrast one can drive down a straight desert road with good visibility at 150mph perfectly safely, of course an accident would be far worse and you take the risk of a mechanical failure but in the end of the day you're far less likely to have a crash than you would on a wet narrow twisty road at a bit above walking pace that can in the end of the day still result in multiple fatalities.

Like Tristan said driving a car is by far the most dangerous thing any of us will ever do, I bet if you worked it out motor racing is far less dangerous than driving in the road. Hitting something is bad however slowly you hit it and when you have high speed multiple car accidents the results can be horrendous, one of the worst scenes I've seen has to be body parts lying in the middle of the carriageway, I'm fairly certain that one wasn't caused by a car doing excessive speed either, of course some are and it's a risk we have to be a prepared to take if you want to drive fast, what's important is you understand the risk and don't put others who haven't chosen to take that risk into jeopardy.
Quote from ajp71 :Lancia Fulvia

Quality car! Wonderful to drive And I agree with the rest of your post too
Quote from tristancliffe :Quality car! Wonderful to drive And I agree with the rest of your post too

Yep I agree, and it was beautifully done up in rally spec too, didn't quite appreciate it when it was heading towards me though
Understandable.

But the thought of being killed by a car is so much more bearable if it's an Italian sports car rather than a German/Japanese ecobox
By far the most accidents I've seen that result in fatalities are from bad/poor dicissions.

Most common I see is cars pulling out into oncoming traffic that is doing 110km/h without giving enough room (very nasty when a truck is involved) and the other is people that just don't know how to overtake traffic on country highways they leave it too late before deciding to overtake and then only speed up a little from a standing start rather than anticipating an overtaking oppertunity.

I find what ajp71 says is true also in regards to people paying very little attention to the road and what is going on around them, that is far more dangerous than a driver that speeds "responsibly"

I guess the problem is that now a days more and more are driving while not considering other road users and that is a worry.
I don't believe speed kills people - people kill people.
and if the weapon of choice is a car, and the motive is "I wonder if I can do 200kph on this short one lane road with a pedestrian crossing in the end of it"
then it's not the car's fault that it can do 200
it's not the will of a person to go fast
it's the lack of caution.

YES I HAVE BEEN SPEEDING EXESSIVELY, but I had the place to do so (empty 3 lane motorway), and had full awareness of puting myself in great danger. That's why I dont do it with passengers, or in dangerous places like the city, only motorways, and only when it's not crowded with other cars
#82 - JTbo
Sure, when I'm on track I feel lot safer as at least I know what is front of me and there is pretty slim chance to encounter driver that is not knowing what he is doing, so defineatly I'm feeling lot more unsafe on roads.

Most accidents involving more than one car seem also to involve vehicle driving slower than speed limit and in good conditions without reason or then someone with wooden eyes just turns to main road without looking.

Big part of accidents could be avoided by keeping head cool and understanding some basics of risk management and car physics, sometimes some drivers seem to think NFS physics apply IRL
Quote from Jakg :Just because i've done a lot of Karting or 28,000 miles in LFS doesn't mean i'll never crash,

I don't think anyone's too concerned about how safe a driver you are, given that not being old enough to drive means you'll never crash.

Quote from tristancliffe :Speed doesn't kill. It never has, and likely never will.
Going fast is, statistically, safer than going slow ...

Perhaps you would also like to shout at grannies who go slowly, causing desperate people behind to attempt dangerous overtaking moves. This kills more people per year ...

Perhaps you would like to shout at tyre companies, who kill more people with blow-outs per year than people who speed.

Figures not provided by the office of the Internet Bullshit Statistics Ombudsman.

Quote from Jakg :the most dangerous drivers are not those that drive fast, but those that drive faster than they can react to.

And how do you find out how fast your own personal speed limit is? By exceeding it? The limit is more likely to be governed by the car and the conditions, rather than the driver's ability. Still, if you honestly think you're somehow superior to other drivers on the roads then at least you're not alone - they all think they're god's gift to driving too.
RIGHT
just found this
a timely reminder what neglecting everything outside the car does

This is a M5 that has been for sale
http://www.bmwclub.ru/vb/showt ... mp;pp=30&highlight=M5
in 2 month after it has been sold to a new owner... (a guy jut over 26 years old)
it looks like this (previous owner photographed it)
http://www.bmwclub.ru/vb/showp ... 2018003&postcount=430
the situation - the owner took his girlfriend for a spin...literaly
speed over 200, wet road, winter front tires (the day before he popped both front tires somehow, and swapped them to winter) Stability control turned off...

he wasnt even wearing a safety belt, he flew out the closed side window - instant death, the girl however was fastened, survived without much damage
Like I said - thinking of what you're doing in a car helps people survive.
Quote from squidhead :...Stability control turned off...

With two completely different types of tires - no wonder. Stability control imo would not help with these wierd tires. I use 195/60-14 on front and 225/60-14 on the rear of my car. That´s only possible because I have no ABS.

I know some people lowering there car without changing the braking force regulator. With stupid setups like this you can kill yourself under 100km/h. Same goes to this M5. Winter tires on front and summer tires in the back is kind of russian roulette. Specially when you are using driving aid.
On public roads I've driven a Nissan 240zx. It was late, the 2 lane highway was empty, we took a quick top speed run, barely made it past 190kph, brought it back down to highway speeds. As a pasenger, I've pushed into the 240kph zone in my cousins old Supra, again, late at night, 4 lane highway empty, dry conditions, sticky fat ruber. There was about 1,500rpm left in sixth before we would hit the safe redline, but I was more then satisfied. When I'm older I want to take a nice CBR 1000 onto a runway, or posibly a test track and just top it out.
~Bryan~
Quote from Crazy Harry :Winter tires on front and summer tires in the back is kind of russian roulette.

The irony of it is that he was Russian... for some reasons Russians tend to think theyre invincible behind the wheel
Afaik, the Autobahn is statistically the safest type of road in Germany*, despite the fact that there's no speed limit in some areas. Trains and planes are of course a lot safer -- with the latter being generally much faster than cars on the Autobahn. Most lethal accidents happen on tree-lined country roads. Trees and maladjusted (=excessive) speed are a very bad mix.

Well, btt: The fastest I ever went was 220 km/h in my Clio and in several rental cars. More than that makes me feel rather uncomfortable for some reason.

*) On a different note: For some reason traffic seems to flow much better on highways in countries where there is a speed limit. Must have to do with the fact that the differences in speed is generally smaller between cars and you have to do less braking and excellerating. It's better for the environment, also. So, I might actually be in favor of a speed limit on the Autobahn, as long as it is something around 150 km/h (I seldomly go faster anyway).
Some statistical info on lethal accidents in Germany in 2006 for anyone who's interested:

deaths total: 5107
country roads: 3070
city traffic: 1392
Autobahn: 645 (and that's despite the fact that that's where the largest distance is driven)

Internationally, the most lethal accidents (more than twice as many per Million people than in Germany) happen in the USA.
speed doesnt kill, but it reduces reaction times and certainly helps to kill once you hit something!

ive seen too many young lads (and ladies) mangled in car wrecks where the driver was showing off or just driving too fast. We like to think we can drive fast and safe but the reality is that the faster you go, the bigger the mess.

Speed will always fascinate people, but get over it, going fast on a road takes no skill, doesnt impress anyone, is pointless, and seriously increases the chance of you having an accident, and not walking away from it, not to mention putting other road users nearby in danger.

Going fast on a track takes skill, finesse, and control. Going fast on a public road takes big balls... and a small brain.
Quote from dynofiend :speed doesnt kill, but it reduces reaction times

Very wrong... How would speed do that? You cover more distance in the time you need to react and braking distance increases as well, but that's it...

I did 165 km/h, but I don't intend to do it anymore unless I'm on a track...
My dads VW Golf GTTDI V6 4motion Has 200 on the clock can do about 190
#93 - Jakg
VW Golf TDI V6 doing 190 MPH? *rolls on floor laughing*

If that was KM/h that equals 118 MPH, which makes more sense
-
(Christofire) DELETED by Christofire
#94 - Jakg
A VW GTi Golf tops out at 147 iirc, i doubt that the non GTi TDI will do that...
illepallillepall:noob: VW GTTDI Sport 4motion V6 !!!!
You do know 4motion means its 4WD don't you? Its not some power-enhancing thing.

EDIT: Woops, ignore that :P
Quote from grandma_07 :illepallillepall:noob: VW GTTDI Sport 4motion V6 !!!!

Yes it will do 190mph.

You have clearly missed that it's a 2 litre diesel shopping trolley
#98 - wien
Did 155km/h in a Toyota Hiace once (Empty road, downhill, tailwind, sun from behind). That was rather hairy.
#99 - Jakg
Quote from grandma_07 :illepallillepall:noob: VW GTTDI Sport 4motion V6 !!!!

4WD - A disadvantage, it makes 170 HP (not bad), and aparently goes 135 MPH (which ain't bad at all - 214 KM/h), nowhere near 190 MPH, Grandma

:noob:

top speeds
(366 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG