The online racing simulator
With the standard of moderating RSC 'enjoys' it's best to be meek and mild than push your luck and get banned. If the moderators there were sensible, rounded human beings (overall; I'm sure there are one or two mods who are nice there) then people would be able to have real conversations rather than just roll over and be nice to each other.
Hehe, indeed...i was only pulling your leg

It was nice to see your other side none the less

And while i'm here...as a low end machine user(certainly in nKPro terms) some very positive results were seen in yesterdays testing. Things are definitely looking up at the moment.
i finally bought that thing and i have to say i am happy with it so far
its fun to lap offline plus i got my first online race yesterday and didn't have any problems

watched the development closely since the release but wasn't sure if my system can cope with the online part
so i wanted to wait for 1.03 plus MP demo but with the nice news from jaap and my own impatience i just had to buy it

multiplayer seems a bit vacant but after joining an empty server i had 4 guys playing in less then 10minutes

the hill climb looks fun also cant wait to test it, altogether a very promising sim heads up
Quote from troy :multiplayer seems a bit vacant

Unfortunately that's the understatement of the year, but i'm glad to hear you got some trouble free online racing going.

I'd certainly recommend joining GPC as thats currently where all the action is. Even if you cant commit to the league races, joining in the PreQualifying session's for each event is a great way to do some lapping with others around and getting some good setup tips. And you can get Spa before its released to the public

http://www.gpchampionship.com/gpcos/
Nice, though I guess Jaap still needs a good amount of practise in how to create non-repeating textures.
Quote from AndroidXP :Nice, though I guess Jaap still needs a good amount of practise in how to create non-repeating textures.

No, 99% of the textures are from the original source. Blame Geoff Crammond
Yep, gave a new chance at Nkpro two days ago, now that I have a new config, but guess what, now that fps is good, sound doesn't work...

And I saw in Rsc forums that other people have the same problem too with some asus motherboards....but again, I'm pretty sure it's never going to be fixed on purpose...Plus it crashed 3 times doing random things. I kinda like the (soundless) physics, but I really don't have the courage for this.

My license is coming to an end, since I bought Nkpro for one year of updates, and I haven't even been able to do 10 laps...Does anybody now if that's still the way it's going to be?

I'm beginning to believe that Nkpro is never going to take off...
Your license isn't coming to an end. That was a totally misleading bit of information and it's been recommended that they remove it from their site.
that appears to be kunos.
A while a go on the Netkar forum he was talking about how he has tried putting bikes into the game, but he didn't have much luck. I came across this today and just wondered if it was real because I can't view videos here.

Maybe its the next bike sim, interesting
Yes it's Kunos and yes it's real.

And whilst i'm delighted that he's working on putting bikes into the Netkar engine, I'm pretty pissed to see him fu**ing about with that before finishing the work that's needed on the 1.03 patch.
Have you guys seen the new video? This time it's with a TV cam, and I quite like it. I'm sorry for those of you who bought netKar, but I hope Kunos focuses on netBike - it can be the first good bike simulation in a long time. Or ever, perhaps.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OkC2ShUMGjs
So that explains why NKP isnt being updated and is being forgotten about.

Cant believe 1.3 isnt out yet. Wasnt that meant to be out in about 2006?
That really really pisses me off, maybe he's already had enough of the hillclimb addon and has dumped that as well. Just shows how LFS has got it right by seeing the first thing through rather than the nK approach of moving onto to the next thing or the ISI approach of cutting corners everywhere and then dressing it up in lots of different guises.
Kunos ...

"I just want to make clear to any netKar PRO customer that this project is not taking ANY time off the development of netKar v1.0.3.

So many things were changed during this long long long time since v1.0.2 and now the problem is to assemble all the new features into a stable package.
This august is very busy for all the team as we're working to clean up and close both the patch v1.0.3 and the Trento Bondone version for our customer Marangoni Tyre.

The netKar PRO version of the Trento Bondone plus the Osella car will be given a graphical remake and then released with netKar v1.1 (after the patch v1.0.3) with the added mode for hillclimb tracks.

Lots of things happening, and also very very exciting.. few know that Team BRD is now running with its own car and driver in the UK Formula BMW championship. The possibility of working with the simulator at the race track, comparing telemetry between the real car and the simulator, driven by the same driver is an incredible opportunity and the entire software is taking such a giant step thanks to the feedback and data coming from the real racing experience.

Plus, we were able seal a very important collaboration that will shape the future of all netKar PRO... once v1.0.3 will be out we'll start to inform you a bit more about our future.. that looks very very bright.
v1.0.3 feels really great and I hope it will be recognized as a brand new start or this project..or, maybe, what v1.0.0 should have been last year.

As now, netBike is just a technology demo.. I don't think we can afford to develop for it much, the team is not involved in this project in any way.. i am the only one "working" on it instead of a walk on a beach or something.. it keeps my brain working and it gives me new angles and ideas about physics approach and modeling.

And, as somebody was joking above about netQuake and shooting in Aviano.. actually that does exist too, and it is named E.r.i.K.a. (Experimental Racing Infantry Kunos Academy) and it is something i use to work on new graphic techniques that I can test without having the burden of netKar PRO's physic engine eating up much resources.. it is really possible to walk around in Aviano and shoot. Just as netBike it gives me a different vision.. thanks to this I can work on stuff as HDRL (High Dynamic Range Lighting), Post Process effect, new collision detection systems, real time shadows, user interface.. all these things will be available also in netKar PRO once the typical PC's power allows me to make these things run decently together with a CPU hungry physic model like netKar's.

I know that motorbike enthusiasts are hoping for a "full" simulator starting, but sorry to say that netBike isnt it.. at least at this stage it is hard for me to see a real possibility to find the time and resources to bring this project from techdemo to decency."
>at least at this stage it is hard for me to see a real possibility to find the time and resources to bring this project from techdemo to decency.

maybe he shopuld do that with nkp first

imho its just appaling that any freelancer thinks he should take a timeout for anything when he delivered something as broken as nkp to paying customers
The netBike video looks very interesting but I don't see how a motorbike sim would work given the typical controllers on a PC. In addition to the normal brake, accelerator, clutch and steering axes, you would also need a controller that would allow you to shift body weight in 3D space and that would require at least 3 degrees of freedom and preferably 6, 12 or even 18 dof depending on how many mass centres are used to model the body and how each of them moves in 3D space. I just don't see how you could do that in a user-friendly manner using existing controllers.
I personally think Kunos is taking an approach of just doing lots of stuff when he feels like it that's suitable for someone developing a bit of freeware software or even commercial software in alpha testing, but not someone whose sold commercial software in its final version when it's blatantly not even close.
Anyone else see how the bikes tyres disappear into the ground when turning? nK has a similar problem on the cars too, with bits moving through the asphalt or the body of the car moving through kerbs - looks to me like big shortcuts on the collision system.

I don't care really if Kunos wants to learn how to do clever graphical stuff, or learn additional physics stuff. If he's coding on his computer he should ONLY be coding nKP. Anything else is wasting OUR time. If he wants a break from sitting at his computer and coding, then fine go outside, go to a theme park, go to a real race meeting - whatever. But if he's happy to sit at his computer coding, then it should be on nKP.

Kunos is a poor excuse for a human being methinks. I don't think Scawen would (could) ever be so disgustingly unfair to his customers.
Quote from tristancliffe :Anyone else see how the bikes tyres disappear into the ground when turning? nK has a similar problem on the cars too, with bits moving through the asphalt or the body of the car moving through kerbs - looks to me like big shortcuts on the collision system.

I don't care really if Kunos wants to learn how to do clever graphical stuff, or learn additional physics stuff. If he's coding on his computer he should ONLY be coding nKP. Anything else is wasting OUR time. If he wants a break from sitting at his computer and coding, then fine go outside, go to a theme park, go to a real race meeting - whatever. But if he's happy to sit at his computer coding, then it should be on nKP.

Kunos is a poor excuse for a human being methinks. I don't think Scawen would (could) ever be so disgustingly unfair to his customers.

I think that I understand his approach, if he would be doing only netkar it would be even slower, contain even less features etc.
What is wrong is that Kunos is visible to public, his method to work is different from majority and as sad as it is, majority won't understand why working in million things would be faster than concentrating on one, so certainly he should stay out from public and let some PR person handle all communication, also PR person should have told him to wait until release of final product.

Why I think that I understand Kunos? I certainly can't concentrate on one thing, I can't get nothing done if I do, I always need to have more than one project going on and jump back and forth between them, that is my burden, that limits and gives, for me it looks like Kunos have similar.

However that is no excuse of treating customers as he has done and shows lack of understanding of his own weaknesses.
By all means work on new technologies, but at least get the majority of customers happy with a vaguely working program, rather than give us the steaming pile of crap called nKP 1.0.2 then flounce around playing with riderless bikes, silly unrealistic lighting techniques etc...

Priorities. He can play when we can. We can't (unless you are on the special few who have the one PC system nK works on flawlessly) play it, so why should he play?
The trouble is that he's very keen to show progress on netBike, but nothing for netKar. Furthermore, he treats netKar like every other job... that's not the way Scawen does it - he enjoys coding LFS and does what he feels he would do best at any given time, working by his own schedule etc... and the passion he has for it can be seen in the results.
If he wants to work like this that's fine but he should either be where we are without selling a finished product or he should focus his time and efforts onto fixing the software he has sold but not delivered.

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG