The online racing simulator
Quote from BlueFlame :Johnny don't listen to them, they just don't admit when things are wrong.
LFS isn't the most realistic game , they leave THAT for GPL.

Watch me get flamed by LFS fanboys... i bought the game didn't i? leave me alone

lol

Did you even read what people were saying, BlueFlame, or are you just trying to play the martyr now .
It seems like fanboys of other racsims expects LFS fanboys to start crying and ask forgiveness when faults of LFS are discussed.
Quote from Linsen :lol

martyr .

hmm, prefer the term Village Idiot :}
but seriously, admit it, most of you guys don't play any other racing sims as regularly.. so give up, your fan boys.. cmon 3000/6000 posts about what?
The thing is that LFS is so comfy, most other games' feel aren't worth the PITA to get used to.
You can always try to NOT touch other cars, people don't like it anyway. I've seen people get banned for hardly scratching other cars.
Quote from Johnny Vet Boy B :Overall? Superb fun, with one MAJOR reservation.

Good points: amazing car handling physics and force feedback effects (on G25) / menu system and options are comprehensive and logical (it doesn't try to be flashy which I like a lot) / interesting selection of cars / graphics and sound are good enough, although improvments are always welcome.

Not so good points: TERRIBLE car to car (or car to solid "thing" in environment) physics. Just awful. REALLY spoils the bumper to bumper racing feel when a slight nudge or contact seems to forceably throw my car away from the contact point. This ruins the atmosphere and the flow of racing and I will often be thrown off balance and crash. When the rest of the physics seem so brilliant it's utterly bizarre that this is like this.

I really hope the developers put this to the top of their "To do next" list because at the moment I tend to just use LFS for autocross drifting and GTR2 for racing, simply because the contact physics in GTR2 are much more realistic. Is a fix in the works?

Anyway. Like I said at the beginning, I'm falling in love with this game, it is touched with genius, but I hope the developers can concentrate on the non-handling related physics! Please please please!

Johnny

P.S I'm fully aware that there are probably many threads discussing the physics problems, but I felt I wanted to give my thoughts because I am a new player and experienced "sim gamer", coming to this game afresh, and it stands out like a sore thumb (in case the developers read this).

I really wish there were more constructive, well thought out thoughts like the above...usually when people talk about a bad points it starts out like "OMG THIS GAME SUCKS" or "OMG BS" and then queue the flame war. Too bad more people are not of this maturity level.

I agree with the collision detection issues, but again the game isn't 100% finished so things will improve and change over time. All we can do is sit tight and enjoy what he have now, and thats one hell of a sim!
#32 - Gunn
Quote from BlueFlame :hmm, prefer the term Village Idiot :}
but seriously, admit it, most of you guys don't play any other racing sims as regularly.. so give up, your fan boys.. cmon 3000/6000 posts about what?

Stop trolling please.
Quote from fabskimo :and beside this did you guys ever thought about the fact that you maybe dont know how collisions of cars are really like? i mean come on, we are all playing a game. how many of you did ever crash into another car in reality?
i dont really know what its like. in reality i never crashed my car. i just have my game experiences but i would never say this or that is not very good implemented just because its not like i expect it. think about that...
this game is in progress over years and i think the devs have put so much brain in it. imo it seems pretty real.

no matter how hard you crash cars into each other youll never get to the point where you break the laws of conserving energy
if 2 cars crash into each other and end up flying away from each other at twice the speed something is very wrong ... and things like that do happen in lfs
BlueFlame: Your post is moot, seeing I've given rFactor, GPL, GTL and many other sims a chance, and I keep coming back to LFS every time, because it just feels right, the others feel lifeless the way the cars react, LFS actually feels right, where as the rest feel like you're driving a car with no realismish factor.
#35 - Jakg
Quote from BlueFlame :hmm, prefer the term Village Idiot :}

i don't play other racing sims regulariliy, i'll admit - RBR is nice, but i'm not often in a Rally mood, GTR felt very fake, i got no fun out of GPL, i refuse to try nK Pro until the tin top demo comes out (although when i did try it i wasn't impressed) - i fail to see how the fact that none of the other sims grab me like LFS makes me a fanboy...?

I don't see how my post cont has any bearing on this? Usually it's the same old questions being asked and i'm the one with the most free time to answer them, and a lot of them is me helping people with their hardware.

Look at you guys with 118 posts, all trolling.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :BlueFlame: Your post is moot, seeing I've given rFactor, GPL, GTL and many other sims a chance, and I keep coming back to LFS every time, because it just feels right, the others feel lifeless the way the cars react, LFS actually feels right, where as the rest feel like you're driving a car with no realismish factor.

I recon the closest to LFS is NetKar pro, but then it does not have the content or online playability to match LFS.
NK-Pro is like having a car, without wheels or tyres. Its there, but nothing to go anywhere with.
cheerleader alert!
I heard LFS was made by fanbois like us :Eyecrazy:
Quote from dawesdust_12 :NK-Pro is like having a car, without wheels or tyres. Its there, but nothing to go anywhere with.

I like how u put that you hit the nail on the head.
#40 - JTbo
It would be good that in collision you would have real consequences, but meanwhile it would be nice indeed that realism of collisions is reduced so that part of force is lost or something as it seems to be that quite many are having issues with it. However I haven't see such things to happen not more than few times and always there has been lag.

Also in normal racing you don't touch other cars, that is just bad racing, except in BTCC what resembles more of banger racing at times.
This whole conversation about LFS suck and GTR rules is kind of out of place.

If you like GTR, what are you doing here? GTR feels like Need For Speed with cars that can't turn at speeds beyond 100km/h. What's the fun in that?
The sad thing is that many official drivers say`s that games like GTR are "super realistics", and that the car behaves exactly like in real life.
Thats just stupid, and I would love to know how much they got for saying that.. Why can`t some real racers try LFS and comment on that? I bet they would be much more pleased than the damned GTR and R-Factor games.

But again, that was not what the topic was about, I just had to scream out my person oppinion
re: real (racing) drivers and sims. Here's what Sean Edwards (2006 FIA GT3 champion, current FIA GT2 driver) has to say on the matter:

"... my dad (ex F1 driver and Group C driver) can't drive sims to save his life!

But I have been playing sims since I was young, just like I have been racing in real life since I was young, so I have learnt both ways of feeling the car and therefor do well in both real life and on sims I have won countless leagues and most races I do online. I am also 2nd overall in the FIA GT3 championship, so I guess im doing well in both!

Most racing drivers can't drive sims, but ones who have been doing it for a long time can and are normally very good at it. Another example is Stuart Moseley (LMS Works Radical driver), he plas sims a lot and we battle it out for league victories, so he is just as good as me at sim racing.

But you are right, in most cases, real drivers can't drives sims without a lot of praccy because of the "feel" aspect."

- From http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?p=3167202#post3167202
Did he mention with sims he plays?
You do touch other cars in normal racing. Haven't you ever heard of bumping in NASCAR? They do it so the car in front becomes loose and moves to the outside, so the bumper can get in front during that moment the other car loses the racing line. It's not "bad driving", as you call it.
you know what guys? I loved therecent article in Sport Compact Car (US tuning mag) about how driving with your eyes is faster than driving with your ass. The editor said how he played forza on a triple screen setup with an xbox360 ffb wheel for some testing, and how the loss of feel was very noticable at first, but then, he started to realize just how realistic physics in sim games are if you just try a little. He also mentioned about your body. Quote: "it's faster for your eyes to sense something, and then for the needed reaction to go down to your arms and legs, then for something to travel ffrom your appendages or behind to your brain, and for the reaction to travel back down. It was a bit more elaborate, but this did make a lot of sense to me, and coincidentaly, i noticed that I, do in fact rely on my eyes more to drive a car IRL. This also explains how i avoided a couple "unavoidable" wrecks in my first couple weeks of driving with my license.
Quote from The Very End :

What s the problem with that,most of the real racedrivers i now are involved in betatesting for the next Rfactor mods.

And please don t begin with the stupid talk about one sim being better then another one,play what you like that s all.
Hmmm... well thanks for the constructive replies guys. As for the rest of you? Probably best ignored I think.

Well I'm glad in a way that others are experiencing what I experienced with the collision. In answer to some saying I shouldn't be hitting other cars I'll reply simply: this is racing. I'm never deliberately trying to nudge other cars but in a pack race it is inevitable sometimes, and therefore the physics must be in place to deal with this. I don't think that's unreasonable, do you?

Afterall, we are driving (simulated) chunks of 500-1200kg of metal at silly speeds around corners. It's never going to be as neatly organised as a game of chess. At the local WI.

Take it easy all.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG