The online racing simulator
As it is, a race at south city works like I would expect it, even with the bug. You don't want it so people can bomb around and use the walls to bounce off and stop you and help you get a faster time. My experiences with south city are, sometimes I clip a barrier and get away with it, sometimes it ends my race. And if I do go flying off a barrier, I usually know what I did to cause it, like going into a corner too hot.

The damage model is incomplete so I think this comes into play here. If the damage model was more advanced, and a hit damages the car more then you could have it so you can bounce off a wall if you want to but you wont be able to continue. It's either ping you onto your roof or total the car, no choice since we don't have the damage model in place yet.

As soon as cars stop pinging off of walls. You'll be driving on 3 wheels instead. Thats how I see it changing at south city.
Quote from ldriver :Then you must race rarely in south city because when you hit a wall there you have 80% chance of flying .

I can't understand this. I spend a lot of time at SO and I have plenty of meetings with solid objects, some more serious than others (the meetings, not the objects). For me I would say that the chance of flying is maybe 3%. It almost never happens. Similarly with car contact, perhaps less than 10% of collisions cause a collision glitch and send the car spinning or flying in the air.

I often have wondered why some people seem to swear that this phenomenon is very common. People seem certain that it is a big problem and I do believe what they are saying, but for me it isn't like that at all. Honestly.

I was under the impression that this problem was much less these days (it could be quite bad in some older versions). I still am in favour of improvements, they are absolutely needed, but I'd love to know why this is more of a problem for some people than for others. There must be a reason.
Quote from Gunn :I often have wondered why some people seem to swear that this phenomenon is very common. People seem certain that it is a big problem and I do believe what they are saying, but for me it isn't like that at all. Honestly.

Hmm I wounder which of the two tend to regularly overdrive there cars also

I experience pretty much the same as you Gunn, if you slam into objects sure you go spinning through the air . But if it's just a glancing blow then it almost never ends badly and as for car to car contact the same applies, 99% of the sky bound cars are from over aggressive driving not terrible collission detection.

The only bad crashes I have from accidental contact is from the occassional bad lag, which I normally can see a mile away and steer clear of said laggy individual

And I say all this from the perspective of racing on LFS with dialup for serveral years before I got broadband
Recently practicing mrt at south city I noticed that sometimes glancing blows would throw you into the air but not often at all. What I noticed more was that the contact would ruin the suspension completely. Which is realistic for when the car hits the wall, no so much when, for example, you move a little to wide entering a corner and rub the wall. Maybe I am wrong as I don't know quite how strong SS suspension is but F1 cars can get away with tapping walls.
As for the collision detection and collision physics; Assuming no lag, car to car contact is reasonable IMO. The problems occur when there is lag or you hit a wall or the red and white barriers.

Thinking about it while i type this post, is it the collision detection needs work or is the damage model. If you were to hit a wall in reality hard enough to flip your car in lfs, your car would be ruined, or in the case of SS would only have 3 wheels. So you would not have a wheel at weird angles with impossibly broken suspension or a wheel to ride up the wall simply because it would of fallen off. Both damage and collision detection need work but is it a case that some of the problem listed as collision detection could be the damage.

On the note of favorite sims and fanboy's. All sims are fake, they all use canned effects as it is simply a computer program. The only way to get no canned effect is to go and drive your car sat in the garage. People go on their personal experience of their lives to judge what they are doing now and future events. Everyone's perception of what happens is different, in a real car and in a sim. Which means people will take what they perceive in a sim and compare it to their experience of real life driving. Just because one sim feels more real to one person - does that make it anymore realistic? Ofcourse not, realism is your own personal perception. The one factor that is true, not only for lfs but all sims and even some non sim racing games, is that we like racing and are here for good racing and fun. Hopefully that all made sense.
Quote from BlueFlame :Johnny don't listen to them, they just don't admit when things are wrong.
LFS isn't the most realistic game , they leave THAT for GPL.

Watch me get flamed by LFS fanboys... i bought the game didn't i? leave me alone

True true! Never touch the holy grale
Quote from Gunn :I can't understand this. I spend a lot of time at SO and I have plenty of meetings with solid objects, some more serious than others (the meetings, not the objects). For me I would say that the chance of flying is maybe 3%. It almost never happens. Similarly with car contact, perhaps less than 10% of collisions cause a collision glitch and send the car spinning or flying in the air.

I often have wondered why some people seem to swear that this phenomenon is very common. People seem certain that it is a big problem and I do believe what they are saying, but for me it isn't like that at all. Honestly.

I am of the same opinion as Gunn here (and Glenn67). The only time I find myself flying through the air is on autocross with the added barriers. Car to car contact is fine. If someone hits you the wrong way, such as swiping corner to corner, you can expect one or both to spin, which is exactly what I see.

I've been racing LFS almost nightly since February 2005. The majority of that was on 56k dialup on servers all around the world (US, UK, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Canada.....) I would have problems with lag and/or disconnects on above 350 ms ping. I never had any problems with contact between cars, tire barriers, normal circuit walls, etc, other than the red and white barriers of autocross. It wasn't until May of this year that I went broadband. Well over 2 years on dialup, and I didn't even have weird collision launches from lag, let alone from weird collision physics.
Quote from Gunn :I can't understand this. I spend a lot of time at SO and I have plenty of meetings with solid objects, some more serious than others (the meetings, not the objects). For me I would say that the chance of flying is maybe 3%. It almost never happens. Similarly with car contact, perhaps less than 10% of collisions cause a collision glitch and send the car spinning or flying in the air.

imho 10% is a lot and if youre driving very close with the occasional nudge here and there these 10% can easily add up to a guaranteed event

on so the biggest problem is the feeling on driving in a pinball machine whenever walls or barriers are next to you
you get a slight nudge from someone which throws you into a wall which in turn will throw you back at him or some other wall ... rinse and repeat
by the time youve hit the 3rd object your car will have reached ludicrous speed
Quote from Shotglass :imho 10% is a lot and if youre driving very close with the occasional nudge here and there these 10% can easily add up to a guaranteed event

on so the biggest problem is the feeling on driving in a pinball machine whenever walls or barriers are next to you
you get a slight nudge from someone which throws you into a wall which in turn will throw you back at him or some other wall ... rinse and repeat
by the time youve hit the 3rd object your car will have reached ludicrous speed

"perhaps 10%" is for you, I almost never have it happen to me.
Quote from Gunn :"perhaps 10%" is for you, I almost never have it happen to me.

Then you obviously play the game only on Sundays, or the LFS team, pay you to only say good things... You say it never happens to YOU, but every server i enter, there is always 1/2 races where someone will fly at ludicrous speeds out of the map, and into forced spectate...
Well, if you never had problems in Southcity I'd suggest a race on LX6 on SO Sprint 1 reversed. I guarantee you see plenty of moonflights in the second to last corner. I've found that in the most situations when you get send in the air the car has crashed sideways in to the wall, head-on collisions don't usually do much (hence the combo suggestion ) . And usually with speeds that, well, wouldn't leave much to examine afterwards.

LFS has problems with crashes absording energy and with contact physics, anyone denying that is blind. I don't know why this has to be even discussed? There are problems that need some attention, and I'm sure Scawen knows this too.
Quote from BlueFlame :Then you obviously play the game only on Sundays, or the LFS team, pay you to only say good things...

Sometimes I wish we got paid for all the bullshit we have to read.
Quote from Bob Smith :Sometimes I wish we got paid for all the bullshit we have to read.

Same to you buddy. Can´t you see that even 1% is way too much?

It´s totally BS to get arguments that it happens not very often. It happens and that is crap. Same to the white/red barriers. Why is that not fixed yet? The problem is known for YEARS!!!
Maybe because Scawen's been working on other things? Cut the guy some slack. He's aware of it, and it will be fixed. Sometime.
Maybe Patch Y..!:O WE WILL NEVER KNOW!
Quote from Crazy Harry :It´s totally BS to get arguments that it happens not very often. It happens and that is crap. Same to the white/red barriers. Why is that not fixed yet? The problem is known for YEARS!!!

Yes, it IS a problem, but to say that it happens every lap etc is just BS - In the STCC i've done what... 9 rounds, about 40 minutes each and i've still only seen 3 of these rolls. It's a problem, but one thats easy to reproduce (full throttle into 2 walls WILL flip you for some reason) but hard to do while racing. To say that it's ruining your racing is a big stupid as smash into a wall like that irl in a BF1 and you'd have no wheel left

Crazy Harry - If you want to come here and complain, go for it, but Scawen has already said it doesn't matter how many people whine and bitch and complain, it won't move up or done his "to do" list, and if you continue to say "z0mg it's been 3 minutes since i asked and IT STILL ISN'T FIXED!!!111!!!" then you know full well why it hasn't and yet still choose to exploit the situation.
Yes Mr nearly 10.000 posts. Please read first before posting. Just this time please. Who sayed that it happens every lap? But... forget about it. IMHO it´s useless.... it´s jakg....
Quote from Crazy Harry :Yes Mr nearly 10.000 posts. Please read first before posting. Just this time please. Who sayed that it happens every lap? But... forget about it. IMHO it´s useless.... it´s jakg....

The only mature comeback, a cheap shot and my post count and a subtle insult

Please remember what you wrote before attacking. Just this time please.
Quote from Crazy Harry :Can´t you see that even 1% is way too much?

This statement implies that even if it only happens 1% of the time, it happens too much. But then you probably get this more than me, putting the barriers you KNOW are buggy on the apex of a 180 MPH+ corner as a layout

See, i can do cheap shots as well
People need to calm down, tho it`s a bug it isn`t the end of the world.
Of course it sucks to get launched insanely in the air because of a little touch on a barrier, but it`s not the end of the world and the DEV`s have more important things to do aswell.
Quote from The Very End :
Of course it sucks to get launched insanely in the air because of a little touch on a barrier, but it`s not the end of the world and the DEV`s have more important things to do aswell.

Well, IMO there is no point improving damage model to more realistic if collisions don't work like they should, these two things are definitely linked and I suppose they will be updated the same time starting with collisions. So it's really hard to say if there is more important things to do, it should be one of the issues top of the list.
Quote from BlueFlame :Then you obviously play the game only on Sundays, or the LFS team, pay you to only say good things... You say it never happens to YOU, but every server i enter, there is always 1/2 races where someone will fly at ludicrous speeds out of the map, and into forced spectate...

You're going to be a real pain in the arse once you reach puberty.
Quote from Blackout :Well, IMO there is no point improving damage model to more realistic if collisions don't work like they should, these two things are definitely linked and I suppose they will be updated the same time starting with collisions. So it's really hard to say if there is more important things to do, it should be one of the issues top of the list.

Totally agree
Woopti-do, there's a bug which happens after your car has taken race-killing damage... And it's going to be fixed -> The sky is falling!
Quote from Gunn :You're going to be a real pain in the arse once you reach puberty.

LOL I don't think he will dude. If he drives the way he talks he'll be self nudered in a car accident.
It is as wrong to say car gets airborne in 3% of cases as it is to say 80% of cases, for some first one is truth for other 2nd one, reason is connection and probably pc speed as faster pc can update situation more often I believe, than pc that struggles to keep 30fps on screen.

We know that cars fly off because car is found to be inside of wall, this usually is caused by lag.

If we have 5 samples per second there is quite lot more chances of object intersecting than if we have 500 samples per second :P

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG