The online racing simulator

Poll : Would you be pleased if LFS remained with fantasy material?

Yes
No
Would you be pleased if LFS remained with fantasy material?
Hi all! I was just interested to see the opinion of you, the LFS community on the idea about whether the possibility of perhaps including more real cars and possibly tracks in future (waay later development ) and if that were not to happen, LFS still using fantasy tracks and most of the cars still being fantasy, would you accept LFS as it is or would you be disappointed?
Who cares if the content is real, doesn't make the racing any better
I personally couldn't car less about real cars. I would like real world tracks but for me UK circuits would be most beneficial and I'm sure real world tracks would be from all around the world.

So really I'm not bothered either way and the effort involved in modelling real circuits to the level needed is just way too much. I would prefer the efforts to be put into constantly improving the race experience by tweaking the collision physics and stuff.
What dan said innit.

You can throw in all the real cars and tracks you want, but if the game plays like crap you've wasted your time and money
Quote from danowat :Who cares if the content is real, doesn't make the racing any better

I know what your saying but just imagine for a moment, you can drive the F430, having all real specs with the LFS physics engine, wouldn't be sweet?
doesn't bother me tbh.. most cars already have real life counterparts already
Quote from danowat :Who cares if the content is real, doesn't make the racing any better

Bingo. I dont need to know I am driving a licensed ferrari, porsche or mercedes to enjoy my racing. Thats what NFS & TDU are for. Driving carsr modeled and designed in a similar vein is good enuff.

Plus who wants to pay for the licensing fees required to get real makes/locations in the game?
I don't really care. Most of the cars in LFS start to feel pretty authentic once you've driven them for long enough, and so do a lot of the tracks.
Makes no odds to me, I'd continue throwing cars at real or fictitious scenery.
As long as its something based on a real life car, not some future fantasy sci-fi creation, I'm more than happy with the current offerings.
the "fantasy material" in lfs feels more real than some pseudo-real stuff out there.

i would be happy with fantasy stuff in the future too.
Quote from Leprekaun :I know what your saying but just imagine for a moment, you can drive the F430, having all real specs with the LFS physics engine, wouldn't be sweet?

Not really, doesn't actually make the driving any better does it?.
The ultimate test of how good a simulator is is to simulate a real car, with all the relevant specifications as closely matched to the real thing as possible. This is the only test that can truly make or break a sim. If the simulated real car handles very similarly to the real thing is the only absolute proof of realism in terms of physics simulation.
Quote from danowat :Not really, doesn't actually make the driving any better does it?.

Maybe not but Ferrari look-a-like with a Ferrari logo on the nose is better than Ferrari look-a-like with no logo.
Well, obviously I would really like to drive the real cars, but Fantasy adds an edge of fun into the game.

I think you need to word the poll better, I mean i'm still pleased with Fantasy cars, but would be more happy with real ones too.
Quote from Jamexing :The ultimate test of how good a simulator is is to simulate a real car, with all the relevant specifications as closely matched to the real thing as possible. This is the only test that can truly make or break a sim. If the simulated real car handles very similarly to the real thing is the only absolute proof of realism in terms of physics simulation.

thats utterly wrong
with the way lfs appears to handle physics (ie universal fomulae rather than table botch jobs for every single car) they are either right or wrong for every car in the game and theres more than enough info available on the cars to check if the physics deliver correct results or not

as for the original question
ive only ever been on a single track and i wasnt even driving at the time(hockenheim... the new one (bleah)) so i wouldnt know the difference anyway
that said what lfs needs is content ... not "real" content just content
right now we have 6 environments 2 of which deliver very little variety most of which have a few issues caused by a mix of track modeling and physics + damage modeling problems and one of which (the largest) i just cant get myself to like
and worst of all the most interesting cars are rarely used

so while i dont give a flying -insert fav offensive word here- about real world content i could do with a few more tracks ... lapping the current tracks alone in an fz5 or drifting round fe gold rev for the 10.000th time can only keep me amused for so long (great track btw)
Quote from deggis :Maybe not but Ferrari look-a-like with a Ferrari logo on the nose is better than Ferrari look-a-like with no logo.

Eh? How so? The logo doesn't make it faster, or handle better. Who cares about fancy logos and names? Maybe if you had a small p..
I do not care about real cars but would love to have real tracks on The racing simulator.
maybe some people just don´t care which logo is on the hood.
#20 - Vain
I like the fact that there are real cars like the RAC, MRT and BF1 in LFS and I hope that there are going to be more real cars in LFS.

I'm wondering wether those people who would like LFS to stay with fictional content want the devs to remove those real cars.
But ultimately I'd appreciate any type of content. LFS lacks content. A lot of it. There just isn't much fun in having to resort to driving a combo like XFG on So Sprint 2 Rev just to find something new, even though you already know XRG on that track.

Vain
I voted 'Yes' because, even though I'd love to see some real tracks in LFS, it wouldn't be the end of the world if we never saw them.

I couldn't care less about having real cars as long as we've got a generic 'equivalent'. I would very much like real tracks though...part of the enjoyment I get out of racing games is learning real tracks and that's not there in LFS. The desire for real tracks almost drove me to buy rFactor! Fortunately their online system rejected my card, so I was saved!
Quote from Mike85 :The question is clear. Would you be please if LFS stayed fantasy only. I wouldnt. But Im surprised at the poll results. Why dont people want real cars and tracks? Someone not being honest?

Why do some people desperately want real cars and tracks? No matter how much you want to dream it, you're not a professional racing driver racing for his years salary.. it's a game played at home in an office chair for the most of us.

Fictional, you can make tracks as imaginative as you like (within reason of course if you want it to be believable) and for a snippet of the licensing costs.

rFactor has just about every track you have and haven't heard of available.. does it make it a good game? no.. because so much else is flawed with it.. I'd personally far sooner see more fictional tracks and the current tracks updated to give a little more atmosphere.. such as washboard effects in braking zones.. varying degrees of roughness in grass and "deepness" of gravel traps.

Same thing goes for cars really.. driving a car in a sim is _nothing_ like driving a car for real and most people won't drive the cars in the flesh they're asking for in LFS anyway, so you'd never have anything to compare.. so that makes the real / fictional debate kind of moot for the majority of people IMO and as sims / real cars are completely different, even pretty much moot for any real racing drivers.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from Vain :I'm wondering wether those people who would like LFS to stay with fictional content want the devs to remove those real cars.

of course not
but at the end of the day im 100% sure ill never drive the bf1 or mrt in real life and its doubtful at best if ill ever even see an rac let alone drive one
so at the end of the day theyre just a very odd autocross single seater ... a very fast single seater ... and some odd thing with a disfunctional turbo to me and they would be just the same if there wasnt any real life counterpart
Quote from Vain :I like the fact that there are real cars like the RAC, MRT and BF1 in LFS and I hope that there are going to be more real cars in LFS.

I'm wondering wether those people who would like LFS to stay with fictional content want the devs to remove those real cars.
But ultimately I'd appreciate any type of content. LFS lacks content. A lot of it. There just isn't much fun in having to resort to driving a combo like XFG on So Sprint 2 Rev just to find something new, even though you already know XRG on that track.

Vain

LFS doesn't NEED real content to make it "good", it's good already, has been good long before any "real" content was added.

Would adding (more) "real" content to LFS make it "better"?, IMO no, but I DO agree that we need more content, if that content is real, then so be it, but it won't be a bad thing if any added content is fictional.

TBH, there is only thing I would like added to LFS that is "real", and that would be the Nordschleife, I have massive respect for that "track"
Doesn't make any difference to me at all.

As long as each car feels different I don't mind. I (like most of us) will probably never drive a F1 car, or anything close to a GTR, so I've nothing to compare the LFS cars with. And if we can't compare them to a real life car, we can't complain that they're not realistic. And if we can't complain, the developers have nothing to live up to but their own expectations.

Which will create a far healthier environment and end result.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG