The online racing simulator

Poll : Would you be pleased if LFS remained with fantasy material?

Yes
No
#51 - DeKo
I wouldnt be pleased as such, but i wouldnt exactly mind.
Worst thread title ever!

Should have said, would you like real life tracks and cars? But I guess that would make it just a repost a million times over.....which this kind of is anyway.

Like people have said, I don't really care what badge is on the car, it wouldn't change the racing at all.

I voted NO by accident. Read the thing wrong.

I'm not so worried about simulating an experience where I can pretend I'm Martin Brundle. I much prefer just knowing that I have some racing software on my machine. At any time I can go have a real, genuine race. Not simulated. If I can have that race through a simulated Spa, sure that will be very nice. But a simulated Aston is every bit as challenging and rewarding. The other drivers are what makes it a race.
Having expended so many hours at BlackWood or Fern Bay I can say that for me LFS's circuits and cars are even more "real" than Spa (where I've never been to) or an Enzo Ferrari (that I believe it actually exists because I see it on the Internet :shrug

Personally I don't mind if there are real cars or circuits, I will race them anyways
Yes, I'd be as pleased as I am now

New content is always good, real or fictional I'm not too bothered...
I voted yes but I also think that some RL additions wouldn`t hurt. But at the end I also wouldn`t mind if we have fantasy cars/tracks cause it makes fun either way.
Quote from Jamexing :The ultimate test of how good a simulator is is to simulate a real car, with all the relevant specifications as closely matched to the real thing as possible. This is the only test that can truly make or break a sim. If the simulated real car handles very similarly to the real thing is the only absolute proof of realism in terms of physics simulation.

Sorry but that is absolute bullshit, about the worst possible test for a sim is trying to get a RL car behave like a RL car on a RL track. With constant perfect conditions, no chassis flex and no way to really accurately simulate dust/marbles/imperfections in both track and car no sim can currently hope to come close to RL. When you look at it more closely a real car is a dynamic, almost organic thing, never quite the same as it was the last time you used it, a racing car far more so than a road car and trying to simulate something based off what the car 'should' be like when it's made shouldn't perform exactly like when it does when everything has bedded itself in and loosened up and the car is at its best and ready to race.

Trying to simulate a RL car usually results in shortcuts being taken to botch it to behave like it should.
#58 - Vain
@ajp71: 'bullshit' is a pretty strong word for a free interpretation of a post. I wouldn't agree with your idea of 'achievable'.

I'm still a bit puzzled at the result. If I imagined that tomorrow Scawen posted "We were approached by several track owners and car brands to include cars and tracks for free in LFS, but we decided we won't ever again add real content to LFS" I surely wouldn't be pleased. I can't believe 80% of the forum members would go "Yay! Good decision! "

Vain
I don't care either way. Some smaller tracks *cough* Thruxton *cough* might be an idea, if the licencing is do-able, but I don't mind either way really. It's not if it is real content or not, it's if there is the content there or not.
Quote from J.B. :It's also one of the big reasons that real racing drivers tend to be pulled more towards rCraptor rather than LFS.

I agree, but I think that's partially because most real life (pro) drivers tend to use sims as "training" (or at least track memorization practice) for upcoming real life races, whereas most hardcore simmers are in it for the love of the gaming.

I may be making an overly huge generalization here.
Quote from Vain :@ajp71: 'bullshit' is a pretty strong word for a free interpretation of a post. I wouldn't agree with your idea of 'achievable'.

I'm still a bit puzzled at the result. If I imagin that tomorrow Scawen posts "We were approached by several track owners and car brands to include cars and tracks for free in LFS, but we decided we won't ever again add real content to LFS" I surely wouldn't be pleased. I can't believe 80% of the forum members would go "Yay! Good decision! "

Vain

That's not really what this vote is asking though is it. This vote is asking if you'll be happy if LFS stayed with non real cars and tracks, to which I say "yes, I would be happy". I never thought about your "what if" addition.

You’re attaching a totally different question on top of that.
#62 - Vain
Am I?
I read "remaining with fantasy material" as "not adding further real content".
And a special case of not adding further real content is denying new free real content.

Vain
Quote from Vain :Am I?
I read "remaining with fantasy material" as "not adding further real content".

Vain

Yeah, and that makes sense given the currently existing conditions (i.e., track owners and car manufacturers aren't throwing free licenses at Scawen). Your hypothetical situation changes things significantly and makes it an entirely different question (dogmatic vs. situational).
Quote from DeadWolfBones :dogmatic vs. situational

or to put it more bluntly
understandable business decision vs stupidity
additionally history has shown that if the devs are given the opportunity to include a car for free they at the very least consider it and have gone for it on 3 occasions
Quote from Shotglass :or to put it more bluntly
understandable business decision vs stupidity

Haha, yeah. That was my academic side coming out. Sorry.
Quote from Vain :@ajp71: 'bullshit' is a pretty strong word for a free interpretation of a post. I wouldn't agree with your idea of 'achievable'.

I'm still a bit puzzled at the result. If I imagined that tomorrow Scawen posted "We were approached by several track owners and car brands to include cars and tracks for free in LFS, but we decided we won't ever again add real content to LFS" I surely wouldn't be pleased. I can't believe 80% of the forum members would go "Yay! Good decision! "

Vain

Nope, that's not what I'm saying... Of course I'd like real content in LFS, but it won't make the driving experience any better. If it stays with fictional content I won't mind.
Well I think you can`t compare virtual cars to real cars, you know we almost have endless time to make a setup for a car, so at the end we all could have a stable setup, even if a real world counterpart is a nervous one.

Well I hope you understand what I mean
things like real cars i think are bad as they can be a lot of difference so having a car with many of the features makes them more fun to drive and also it keeps cost and things down and allows the devs to create better physics etcinstead of speanding ages having to make a car a perfect copy of the real one for licencing reasons
I don't care about the fictional stuffs! And actually, even if it wouldn't be that popular (probably), I'd find funny to have really unrealistics tracks in places where races are not supposed to happen
I don't care if theres real cars or not, just so long as the different types of racing are covered. For example I wouldn't want an exact replica of a Formula Ford, but I would like a single seater with no downforce.
Well, the question should be:

- Would you prefer to have real cars/tracks on lfs, keeping the lfs motor, physics, and online component, etc, etc...

- YES.

Now,

I'm still pleased having the fantasy ones, since is a great simulator, and so it allows great fun, but...
I still think it would be a waste of such a great simulation engine
Never cared about whether racing games have real cars or not. I just want to race and that's it.
To be onist i would be abit dissapionted because Weather is quite alot of involvment in racing.

Matt
Quote from dmwright :To be onist i would be abit dissapionted because Weather is quite alot of involvment in racing.

Matt

No one else has mentioned weather so far in this thread...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG