The online racing simulator

Poll : Would you be pleased if LFS remained with fantasy material?

Yes
No
Quote from danowat :LFS doesn't NEED real content to make it "good", it's good already, has been good long before any "real" content was added.

Would adding (more) "real" content to LFS make it "better"?, IMO no, but I DO agree that we need more content, if that content is real, then so be it, but it won't be a bad thing if any added content is fictional.

TBH, there is only thing I would like added to LFS that is "real", and that would be the Nordschleife, I have massive respect for that "track"

Did I ever say LFS wasn't "good"? did I actually say that?
#27 - joen
Quote from Mike85 :The question is clear. Would you be please if LFS stayed fantasy only. I wouldnt. But Im surprised at the poll results. Why dont people want real cars and tracks? Someone not being honest?

ffs, So just because you didn´t expect this you doubt whether people are being honest? Give me one good reason why people wouldn´t be honest about this? Is it that hard to get it in your head some people just don´t care about a badge on the cars? Some of you clearly have a hard time accepting things and taking no for an answer. You as a perfect example (not only based on this post).

You ask for the reasons while several have been given in the posts above you.

Let´s hope this will finally shut the people up who are constantly saying the big majority of players want real content. Clearly not.
And maybe it will also end the constant begging for real cars. But I guess not.

edit: some clarification just to be sure, I´m not AGAINST real content, I just won´t enjoy LFS any less if we don´t get it.
Quote from Leprekaun :Did I ever say LFS wasn't "good"? did I actually say that?

No, and it was me para-phrasing, which is why I "quoted" it, plus I wasn't repling to you anyways
Wait what? "People who want LFS to stay with fictional content"? Who said that? I think some people are reading the wrong implications from this poll...

I voted "Yes", because I would indeed still be pleased with LFS even if it never got "real" content. That doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy real content, but voting "No" IMO actually means you'd give up on LFS (or whatever you mean with displeased) if it does not get any more real cars and tracks in the future.
I don't particularly care about real world environments or tracks. Aston seems real enough for me, as does the FO8. If they rejigged it so it was a F3000 / GP2 car at say Spa I don't think it would make the experience any more pleasurable.

It would cost a lot more to license this content and plenty of people would just start complaining that kerbs are the wrong shape, bumps aren't where they should be or "the Flag man at marshall post 2 is holding a can of Sprite, but I know him and he prefers Coke - sort it out!"
And again, another thread flooded by decadention. I don't see the point of not wanting new conent, especialy when this sim is aimed on real behaviour of car. Wouldn't it be good to drive a car with chasis gemoetry, suspension, engine characteristics, aero etc etc made by proffesional engineers?
You can alwalys get XRR instead of F430, if you want.

What's the point of having ultimate driving/racing sim while you only drive with unrealistic setups, randon chasis and engines from another galactic?
Again, you talk about "not wanting real content". Who said that, please?
ok hypothetical question
assume its 1940 and youve only ever heard of any f1 track (monaco maybe) on radio and someone sat you into a very f1 looking car in lfs on south city ... would you know the difference ?
now lets put this scenario into something a little more true to life ... if you play any sim on (whats the least likely track for any of you to ever actually drive on ?) bahrain maybe ... and it has a very vicious curb in t1 which on the real track is a walk in the park to take ... would you know the difference ?

point is just because a track looks vaguely real chances are its every bit as fictional as any of erics tracks and as such imho actually has less value in a sim than a fictional one ... youd only be deluding yourself
LOL! like that last bit Storm . Well, tbh, if LFS would cost the same amount of money as any other commercial game (example: GTR2) so costing around 30-40 pounds, I would still go ahead and buy it. The devs have mastered 2 things of the game, multiplayer code and the physics (which each is still being improved day by day). I remember that there was a thread recently where the authour made a suggestion of the possibility of selling the LFS physics engine to other game companies. I thought this was a good idea as I would hope, like what happened with ISI and their code, the same could happen with LFS where we'd be able to use the LFS physics engine in many different racing serie.

I still love LFS as it is and its been my favourite sim for many years now and I'm just hooked as most of you are . I understand that many of the cars seem to be based on real life machines (FXO Turbo: Vauxhall Astra/Peugeot 406, FZ5: Porsche obviously ) so thats cool and all and I love Eric's car design. I'm just saying that it wouldn't hurt to have some real stuff in the game. I mean, you liked the MRT, BF1, and especially the RAC, didn't you?. I just think it would be nice to have some additional real content over the fictional content where Eric is working away on new models.
Quote from Shotglass :ok hypothetical question
assume its 1940 and youve only ever heard of any f1 track (monaco maybe) on radio and someone sat you into a very f1 looking car in lfs on south city ... would you know the difference ?

[ snip ]

Was just about to follow up with something along these lines too. At some point, Silverstone for example was just a dream someone had, scribbled it on paper (or maybe slate with chalk? ) and then the excavators moved in.

Cars the same, someone has a dream, sketches a car, makes a 3D model either digitally and / or via a mould and some get put into production.

Eric sits at home, has a dream, scribbles some notes / drawings on paper.. models them and releases them as part of LFS.

Seems to be somewhat of a pattern there to me

Regards,

Ian
on that note i think it would be hilarious to see someone go down the hill on so long braking into the hairpin with a big smile on his face commenting on how great it feels to drive through loews
IMO, it's much better for LFS to remain what is, an excellent online racing simulator. More content is always welcomed, in any form.
What Android said^
I think a lot of people have read more into people's responses than is actually there.

Would I be pleased if LFS remained with fantasy material? Sure. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be pleased if it didn't remain purely with fantasy material, and I can't see a post by anybody up there that suggests they wouldn't be either.

To me it's as simple as: "Would LFS be any better or more fun if I were to go off and build all the LFS fantasy cars in real-life, and build all the fantasy tracks in real-life." Nope. And you may say, well the LFS fantasy tracks aren't as good as real ones. To which I'd reply, so what we need is better tracks, and not neccessarily real ones.
I could live with it.

But it's like using an Enzo to buy the newspaper on sundays. Gorgeous, but underused

IMO of course.
There are certainly some real world courses I'd love to attack with the LFS physics engine, but considering the whole of my sim driving experience (from the original NASCAR Racing to rFactor) I've gotten more enjoyment out of driving Eric's fantasy tracks than I have driving "real" circuits in any other sim. As for cars, again, there are types of cars I would still love to see in the game, but there's no specific real life make/model that I'll die if I don't get to drive. I have no doubt that by the time S3 final rolls around we'll have quite a number of new cars to play with, and that they'll represent most categories of motorsport.

I would have no complaints if LFS remained mostly fantasy content.
#41 - J.B.
I'll put it this way. The only reason I keep any other sims than LFS installed on my PC is because LFS lacks real tracks. It's also one of the big reasons that real racing drivers tend to be pulled more towards rCraptor rather than LFS.

But real cars: meh
Pleased either way so long as the features are realistic.
Quote from Damo74 :Eh? How so? The logo doesn't make it faster, or handle better. Who cares about fancy logos and names?

But the logo makes it a Ferrari (or any other car make, that was just an example). FZ50 can't be Porsche or Ferrari because it just isn't. Seeing Porsche or Ferrari can give you a boner, FZ50 just can't because you'll never see it in real life. It's the car character that's the difference.

I think the fantasy of cars are not a problem because they close enough to their real life equivalents, fantasy is more of a problem with the tracks because of - should I say bad or stupid - design in many of the tracks. Real tracks can have flawed design but usually it's not as stupid or bad (except so called tracks made by Tilke) as some of the things you see in LFS tracks.

Quote :Maybe if you had a small p..

I didn't mention BMW
Quote from J.B. :LFS lacks real tracks. It's also one of the big reasons that real racing drivers tend to be pulled more towards rCraptor rather than LFS.

Absolutely agreed.
Quote from AndroidXP :I think some people are reading the wrong implications from this poll...

What I was thinking also As always a pole can get any answer you are looking for if you word it correctly
Quote from AndroidXP :Again, you talk about "not wanting real content". Who said that, please?

Well, it is hidden in few first posts, behind all that 'who cares' replies.
This topic is IMO about happynes (or not) by adding fictional content to lfs in future. Some people (Dan, for example) seem to think it is about overall adding something new and say 'no' to anything.

As someone mentioned, real cars would be a superb showoff of insane LFS's feeling of driving a real thing, but only when they have real specs and mechanical behaviour, and I believe Devs will work on this before S3.

Another point is that real product exist in real, and Scavier must not spent so much time to create shape of car, spec and other detail. They can just implement it into LFS and name Perrari or something, but is it really possible btw?

There are many possibilities: mixing real and fictional cars to create new class, real car with faked name, or hybrids, looking like 2-3 rl cars (FZ5) but it is so hard to use brain, it is easier to say 'uhm, no. i feel good in stagnation'
I would love to see real world tracks in LFS, but I don't care for real cars...
i'd like to see real tracks in LFS too

about real cars i don't care, just give somehing that we can race and it will be fine
I would like real world tracks some time down the road, but only cause I am so in love with the classics. The tracks that have become legends in motorsport. Bathurst, LeMans, Monza, Nürburgring (+Nordschleife?), Spa Francorchamps, Zolder, Interlagos... Well you get the idea. I'm not sure having those tracks would make the racing better. But the feeling... That's an entirely other matter

Couldn't care less about cars though cause there are only a few types/classes missing as it is, and those we have can be painted into looking like almost anything (by a good painter).
Quote from pasibrzuch :As someone mentioned, real cars would be a superb showoff of insane LFS's feeling of driving a real thing, but only when they have real specs and mechanical behaviour, and I believe Devs will work on this before S3.

Well if they put a real V8Supercar in LFS who could tell if it was real? I don't know anyone that has actually driven one and even if there was one in LFS a real driver would have problems with it because they would not be used to all the limitations that are in a SIM (i.e. G-forces, sense of speed, pheriperal vission, lack of feel in brake pedal, lack of real consquences for going over the limit etc) so there judgement would be flawed even if all factors like setups were the same as there real car. Then again do you really believe that LFS or ANY other SIM for the humble PC will get to the sort of realism you are thinking of in our life time? Where a real top level driver of a real race preped car would think this is just like the real thing

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG