The online racing simulator
Quote from noemfie :I personally don’t think a faster driver has the right even to ask a beginner to let him by easy . One of the best races I ever had was with a person on AS club in a FOX . I was about 2-3 sec a lap faster than him , but he defended his position like his life depended on in , I just couldn’t get by him cleanly enough without causing a major accident , but I respect the fact that the person is in front of me and has the right to defend his position , ofcourse I would be upset if he started blocking on purpose and do things against the "rules" .

Yes, this is what I always say. The only reason you should just "let the faster guy by" is when you join the track midrace or you teleport to the pits and rejoin the track. If you were there at the start, you have every right to race anyone and everyone no matter how fast or slow you are.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#52 - avih
Eventhough on some track/car combos I'm faster than average, there are definately combos at which I'm not (or at least slower than the faster races on the track). If I'm racing such combo, and there are obvious fast drivers that know the combo way better than me, I'd usually let them pass and have their fun fight with eachother.

After I have enough experience and can lap within a second or so from their lap time, only then I'll start fighting with them. Otherwise I'm just ruin ther races when a fast guy is stuck behind me. I know it's legitimate for me to give them fair tough time, but since I know that I hate getting stuck behind a slow driver when the leader is running away, I try to avoid that myself.
-
#53 - avih
Quote from thisnameistaken :This is all well and good, but we need a list, please. I remember when I first got the S2 demo I was exiting the chicane way too slow and you literally pushed me down the back straight. Please tell me which combos you suck at so I can come and have a go

Ha sorry for the push, I try to avoid others but I'm not perfect too, and in the heat of the battle.. u know

So, what combos do I suck at? I'll leave it to you to find out
Quote from mrodgers :Yes, this is what I always say. The only reason you should just "let the faster guy by" is when you join the track midrace or you teleport to the pits and rejoin the track. If you were there at the start, you have every right to race anyone and everyone no matter how fast or slow you are.

Exactly...but still there are racers than don't let you pass even if they have e BLUA FLAG...
Sometimes i think... even if you are faster than me, you have a blue flag... let me pass, i'm trying to defend my position or maybe trying to stay ahead... if you don't let me pass, i could be catch and maybe pass...
But, i repeat, sometimes still don't let you pass...
For example; i was racing on Blackwood and i was in first position; a racer went out from the box, so he wasn't on race... i had to fight like be the last lap of the championship (do you know what i mean) to pass him...and ha had the blue flag!!! Fortunately i still won the race...
After the finish i ask to him: excuse ***, do you know what does mean BLUE FLAG?!? He answered me: yes of course!!
I said: so why don't you let me pass? I were in first position...
He said: i don't let you pass...just for fun; too easy let pass another racer!!!
I couldn't believe that word!!!
What do you think about this?!?!?!? I still not believe now!!!
That's not uncommon, TBH. I've not recently come across anyone admitting they were blocking for that reason, but such incidents happen near enough every day I race.
-
Quote from noemfie :I personally don’t think a faster driver has the right even to ask a beginner to let him by easy . One of the best races I ever had was with a person on AS club in a FOX . I was about 2-3 sec a lap faster than him , but he defended his position like his life depended on in , I just couldn’t get by him cleanly enough without causing a major accident , but I respect the fact that the person is in front of me and has the right to defend his position , ofcourse I would be upset if he started blocking on purpose and do things against the "rules" .

yep your right.
no way would i expect a slower driver to move out the way for me. he as the right to defend his lines.
i like racing more than hot lapping.
Quote from avih :Ha sorry for the push, I try to avoid others but I'm not perfect too, and in the heat of the battle.. u know

So, what combos do I suck at? I'll leave it to you to find out

OMG, Avih what have you done
Give noobs a break. People make mistakes - noobs or not. And if it happens to be you that gets taken out then unlucky - that's life.

All these complaints I see on the forum about bad driving make me sick. Its a game, we play to have fun. If your car gets wrecked it don't cost anything to repair - it aint real life.

Fair enough if someone is deliberately causing carnage but this is very rare.

It's got to the point where I won't let friends play under my name in case they make a mistake and it gives me a bad reputation. That's just silly - everyone, regardless of standard, should be able to enjoy this wonderful game and all the fun that goes with racing on-line.

So, if you get taken out by someone, don't complain, don't write to the forum. Get back on track and have some fun instead of getting upset and worked up. That's not what we play this game for.
#59 - SamH
noob/rookie/newbie invitation
I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread.

An aspect of racing that many of these "hot" drivers forget is the artful methods a slower driver employs, in making their car AS WIDE AS POSSIBLE. It's an integral part of motorsport, and one which often levels the playing field to the extent that EXCITING races occur.

I'm not talking about bashing or ramming. I'm not talking about LFS as a contact sport, but it IS possible to make it DIFFICULT for the car behind to get around you, and motorsport is NOT always just about the fastest driver winning the race. It's about the driver who is best able to climb the field. It's a game of skills and strategies. (Blue flagging is obviously not included in this scenario.)

Conversely, it is the job of the driver behind, who's trying to get through, to "harass" the driver in front. To psyche them out.. to make them drive in their rear-view mirror, goof and spin out. NOT by contact (nobody in RL wants contact) but by the sheer pressure and intensity of the race.

Oh.. and Devs, if you're listening, PLEASE remove the horn from the F08. I had a guy trying to harass me out of the way, not by skilled hounding, but by blowing their horn. I guess it worked.. I couldn't drive for laughing!

A good, fast driver won't rear-end a slower driver on approach to a corner, no matter HOW early they brake. They'll be positioned to slide past on one side or the other, and I'd say would ONLY attempt to do so IF they're familiar enough with the driver-ahead's style.

It would be a racing goof to attempt a manoevre on a corner, if you haven't already figured out what the slower driver's corner tactics are likely to be. Unfortunately, there are a lot of "experienced" drivers out there who've somehow missed this lesson, and continue to miss it, assuming the fault is all the "noob's". It most certainly isn't! But we have a solution!...

Noobs.. rookies.. drivers of Miss Daisy.. you're all cordially invited onto the CCUK Beginners Server. It's a much under-used server, but it's available 24/7. It's based in the UK and has an excellent ping, and sits on a 100mbit pipe to a backbone. There's room for 20.. no obligation to perform incredibly well, and the only rules are those of common courtesy.

We set this particular server up specifically because we recognise that it's a big leap from Demo to S2 and some of our own team members needed a stop-gap where they could get up to speed and hit the other servers running. Everyone starts out a newbie. On this server, the newbies rule.

SamZ

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG