The online racing simulator
Grr...Noobs Trying To Win At The First Corner
Im pretty sure that everyone has come across the noobs as mentioned above. It is especially annoying when it is a packed server, and that they do not know the track. Maybe there is someone of stopping newbies joining 'filled' rooms straight away. Maybe offline they have to do a certain number of laps. Im only posting this because ive noticed it a lot recently, especially with them blocking the track at the Oval etc.
-
(th84) DELETED by th84
Iv also had so many bad experiences wit Noobs.Its just something u have to live with cause in the end they will hopefully get better.
Like myself i started out as a noob but knowing i sucked i never did the "win the race by getting to the T1 first" strategy. Some dont no that this means nothing yet, but they hopefully will realise that they come pretty much stone last every time with huge number of complaints when they use this approach.
If im in a server wit this happening every lap i just find a new server wit the same combo or make a new server wit the same combo...within a very short time u have racers joining u and the fun begins again
lol you two have join dates of october and july this year, doesn't that make you noobs?
#4 - th84
i dont really see how your join date of this forum describes your driving ability, but you are gonna run into that for a long time, so the best i can tell you is... get used to it!!!(or join private servers:P)
It isn't your forum join date it's when you created a lfs account .
#6 - th84
ahhh much clearer now :P

btw josh, i still check your forums on the vixen challenge you kicked me out of :P
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#7 - th84
Quote :I hate that word, "noob", reminds me of irritating kiddies in FPS games.

we love you too kev!! :P
Quote from joshdifabio :lol you two have join dates of october and july this year, doesn't that make you noobs?

Ya for sure iv got an account that is still young but i believe that i am a reasonable driver and can race consistantly and cleanly. I dont define a noob on there time playing the game but on there driving skill!
Quote from th84 :ahhh much clearer now :P

btw josh, i still check your forums on the vixen challenge you kicked me out of :P

Wtf i didn't kick you out you left cause you can't race on tuesdays .
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Lucasinio :Im pretty sure that everyone has come across the noobs as mentioned above. It is especially annoying when it is a packed server, and that they do not know the track. Maybe there is someone of stopping newbies joining 'filled' rooms straight away. Maybe offline they have to do a certain number of laps. Im only posting this because ive noticed it a lot recently, especially with them blocking the track at the Oval etc.

ummmm...dude, If you are who I think yo are...you were all over the place...
#11 - th84
:bewarespa

Quote from joshdifabio :Wtf i didn't kick you out you left cause you can't race on tuesdays

i know i hate im missing it

Quote from thisnameistaken :Hey look what I found! ...

priceless....
Quote from Lucasinio :Im pretty sure that everyone has come across the noobs as mentioned above. It is especially annoying when it is a packed server, and that they do not know the track. Maybe there is someone of stopping newbies joining 'filled' rooms straight away. Maybe offline they have to do a certain number of laps. Im only posting this because ive noticed it a lot recently, especially with them blocking the track at the Oval etc.

What I find much, much more offensive than being knocked around by a noob (because you can watch them drive and know to give way) is being shunted by someone with tons of experience who is 3 seconds a lap faster than me but behind me because he either drove off the track or set the server to put slower traffic in front. People with that much experience should either pass with grace, or follow with humility. Bullying has never been attractive to me. Right now I'm thinking of a hero of mine, I see him from time to time. Even if he is only a second faster, he goes by so quick, with so much cunning, you never even see it coming. It's always a surprise when he pops out in front of me and takes off.

The other night I saw a very well developed racer (and I mean *really* good) ordering people to stay out of his way on a public server because he was trying to set fast lap and we (well, not me, I was far track from him) were getting in his way. illepall
Quote from Slartibartfast :People with that much experience should either pass with grace, or follow with humility.

The other night I saw a very well developed racer (and I mean *really* good) ordering people to stay out of his way on a public server because he was trying to set fast lap and we (well, not me, I was far track from him) were getting in his way.

I concur - that is 100x more annoying. I've encountered it numerous times - mr super fast driver catches up, I keep my line knowing he'll eventually get by me, don't even try blocking him and yet it's almost certain that in the next turn entry he'll bump me off and say something like "you brake too early!!!". Well, great, if you don't know when someone else brakes then why do you stick your nose up his exhaust for, especially if you know he's slower than you (precisely because he brakes "too early").
Noobs, how about we start with Beginners. Now thats a nicer word. Hmm Beginners, been here since LFS started. Without Beginners, LFS would not be what it is today. Without beginners, the game could not grow.

Remember, we was all Beginners Once, even Macest, Rudi, Myself, even the Devs was beginners Once.

So please, give them a break. Try to take 5mins out of your racing and coach them. You will be suprised how grateful they are.

Just my :twocents:
I agree with Slarti and xaotik about faster guys (some, not all). The same things have happened to me, especially the "you brake too early" excuse. If someone's so much quicker than me that they're braking 50m later than I am, surely it won't trouble them too much to hang back and pass somewhere safe and not at a heavy braking zone. I wouldn't call myself quick, but regardless I still encounter people slower than me, and when I do I follow them cautiously until I can pass safely. Is that common sense or am I talking gibberish?

Once I had a guy follow me around Blackwood, constantly beeping at me to let him through and eventually he took himself off after nearly ramming my rear and blamed me for "blocking". After the race I patiently explained, as you would to a 4-year old, that you can't expect drivers to let you pass if you aren't lapping them. Thing is, this guy started honking at me on Lap 1 ffs! I guess he'd never watched RL racing before. After a couple more races it turned out that he wasn't actually quicker than me after all. Oh well

And if there are hotlappers on a public server trying for a PB during qualifying, too bad if someone else is on track - qualifying is for everyone. That's why LFS has a hotlap function. Although people doing burnouts and stuff during qualifying is not cool.

Inexperienced rookies causing wrecks screw up your race (lord knows I ruined a few in my early days) but people with more experience making the same errors is a lot more annoying, especially when they turn around and blame the guys that they rear-end.

[/2cents]
#16 - avih
If you're behind and hit someone infront at breaking, it's always the "behind"'s guy fault. Rarely it happens to me too and the proper thing to do is apologise, even if the breaking driver was breaking very early.
As long as the leading driver isn't deliberately braking to wreck you, on the straight for example, I agree.
Quote from xaotik :I concur - that is 100x more annoying. I've encountered it numerous times - mr super fast driver catches up, I keep my line knowing he'll eventually get by me, don't even try blocking him and yet it's almost certain that in the next turn entry he'll bump me off and say something like "you brake too early!!!". Well, great, if you don't know when someone else brakes then why do you stick your nose up his exhaust for, especially if you know he's slower than you (precisely because he brakes "too early").

I agree with you...too many times racers faster tham me stay just behind me and when i brake they push me out and then they say "sorry...but you brake too early, it's not my fault"...
i mean... you, faster racer, don't know how i drive, so don't stay too early on me, even before a turn...
I know to be a slow racer, but sorry...i installed the game 5 days ago....
The vast majority of quick racers would never hit a slower person on purpose. But it's very difficult to judge just how slow beginners are.
The faster guys obviously expect you to brake a bit earlier, and go a bit slower through the apex, but we cannot possibly imagine just how early and how slow some people go.

In that respect, it's probably better for everyone if beginners made every reasonable effort to let faster drivers through quickyl and safely - eventually you'll be quick enough to overtake them! And at the first corner it's unlikely you will win the race with a slingshot down the inside 40mph faster than anyone. Don't do it.

Online racing sims will never ever be 100% clean because of the vast range of talent/experience that exists. I for one don't think we should restrict beginners to 'slow servers' so the quick people (in which I include myself) can drive fast. We should all learn to live together. If the quick people helped the slow people get quicker, and the slow people respected that they are currently slow, and that defending a position from someone 20 seconds a lap faster is jsut gonna end in an accident, then everyone would be much happier.
Quote from tristancliffe :The faster guys obviously expect you to brake a bit earlier, and go a bit slower through the apex, but we cannot possibly imagine just how early and how slow some people go.

What subtle and cunning use of language, mr Cliffe!

I agree with you though. I'm not that fast and even I am sometimes amazed how fast a gap between me and a slower person can disappear while braking for a turn. And as you're already braking, there's not much you can do in a situation like that. I usually say sorry to the guy and that I wasn't expecting him to brake there. But even though these things happen it's still the rear driver's responsability, if not his fault.
If I'm not 100% sure of someones brake points (i.e. I don't know them) I will assume they are much earlier than mine and as a consequence will normally pull out of their line so I will take them on the inside if they brake too early or am able to pull back in behind them if I see they are a similar speed to me I think most of the frustration that people have on public servers is that most races are very short (average 5 laps) so being held up costs alot of time in a race where there isn't much time that is why I tend to hunt for servers with 7-20 laps races.. and would join longer ones frequently if they were available when I was online

Also as a side note some people are fast on their ideal line but once they're off that line.. they're like a fish out of water, successfully navigating slower traffic is not just about being faster

[Edit] Mm sry bit off topic Jezz I have a bad habit of doing that lately my brain must be fried lol [/Edit]
Quote from tristancliffe :The vast majority of quick racers would never hit a slower person on purpose. But it's very difficult to judge just how slow beginners are.

That is why if I have never seen you before, I'll move over a lane coming into the braking zone until I know how you drive. I'm not very fast myself, but when the fast guys leave the server, I've got the newbies looking at me saying, "wow, your fast". It makes my epenis grow faster than yours with your post count, hehehe. Just kidding there .

Quote :In that respect, it's probably better for everyone if beginners made every reasonable effort to let faster drivers through quickyl and safely - eventually you'll be quick enough to overtake them! And at the first corner it's unlikely you will win the race with a slingshot down the inside 40mph faster than anyone. Don't do it.

Online racing sims will never ever be 100% clean because of the vast range of talent/experience that exists. I for one don't think we should restrict beginners to 'slow servers' so the quick people (in which I include myself) can drive fast. We should all learn to live together. If the quick people helped the slow people get quicker, and the slow people respected that they are currently slow, and that defending a position from someone 20 seconds a lap faster is jsut gonna end in an accident, then everyone would be much happier.

Yup, there's no way that beginners should be restricted to a slow "beginner" server. The best way for them to learn is follow along behind the pack. That's 80% how I learned. The other 20% would be learning the track layout, setup, and specific instructions from others spectating me. I rather think it's a bit of fun trying to get by those who don't have much of a sense of racing line yet and are wandering around the track. My times may be decent enough (ie. not ultra fast) but I am not that efficient at passing and this gives me practice driving and attempting to pass way off the line. Hotlapping should be done offline. Online is for attempting good side by side battles for position, whether it's for a 1:43 time and first place at Aston Nat. or a 1:49 time and 10th place. A good battle is what's important to me, not time.

But if the beginner's do see someone screaming up behind them, it would be best to let them by. They need to know they are slower and the other guy is faster and will dive in on them in the corner and leave them room. That is where all the accidents come from I think. The faster guy making the move in the braking zone and the new guy not realizing it and turning into the apex without leaving room.
Quote from Fordman :So please, give them a break. Try to take 5mins out of your racing and coach them. You will be suprised how grateful they are.

Damn right...!!!!

Quote from tristancliffe :The vast majority of quick racers would never hit a slower person on purpose.

I know it, but i'm just saying that faster racers should respect slower racers and not screaming on them and push them out on purpose, because somentimes there are racers that push you out on purpose if they see that you are slower than them...
I never race with you, because i'm a demo racer up to now, so i'm not saying that you are one of them...but there are racer like that and they soon ask to restart the race if they lose some position during the race...
i think the overall behaviour on the demo servers isn't compareable with the licensed ones. most experienced fast racers on the s2 servers drive very fair. there are also some not so experienced but fast ones, who just don't know how to race.
Quote from Slartibartfast :People with that much experience should either pass with grace, or follow with humility.

Really well said.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG