The online racing simulator
i would
Come to think of it, seeing 36 of them on SO short would be a laugh. One almighty traffic jam. The AI would probably go into meltdown!
Quote from srdsprinter :Closed proto = Air Conditioning! It gets hot when i drive so that's a plus!

Yeah, R10 = bad for sim racing, the drivers can't hear the engine over wind noise above 3rd gear (shift only based off of shift lights)... its far too quiet, esp in sims where noise is a part that adds to the realism.

I can't quite follow your argument here. You're saying that a real racing car, that's actually successful in the real world, is not good enough for a simulator?

I don't really care that the R10 is quiet - it just adds a whole new dimension to car control.
the R10's sucess is still not cemeted in greatness to be honest. The R8 never lost a race untill what, 4 years into its lifetime? The R10 is really struggling now in the ALMS, and it should face its biggest challenge at le mans this year. While it's no CLK GTR, the R10 really hasn't been the worthy successor to the almighty R8.

While it would be the solution to the questionable LFS engine sounds, make a car where you can't even hear the engine, I think it would be a little dull. Seriously, go turn your sound off and play LFS, not too much fun IMO...

Why not make a car that Screams like the 787b?
Quote from srdsprinter :the R10's sucess is still not cemeted in greatness to be honest. The R8 never lost a race untill what, 4 years into its lifetime? The R10 is really struggling now in the ALMS, and it should face its biggest challenge at le mans this year. While it's no CLK GTR, the R10 really hasn't been the worthy successor to the almighty R8.

While it would be the solution to the questionable LFS engine sounds, make a car where you can't even hear the engine, I think it would be a little dull. Seriously, go turn your sound off and play LFS, not too much fun IMO...

Why not make a car that Screams like the 787b?

Because LFS is not a vintage game. I agree, the 787B is a lovely car and the soundtrack is just mindblowing, but a sim like LFS should be focusing on new and modern race cars and technology. The last time someone was successful with a wankel engined car in racing it was indeed that 787B, but that's a long time ago. There are reasons to why nobody has ever bothered trying it out again, just like there are reasons to why everybody in Formula One are focusing on aerodynamics these days.

If LFS is to feature a Le Mans Prototype car (which I agree would be awesome), it should be a modern car, and modern seems to be diesel. Either that or a very recent petrol powered prototype.
Quote from evans :There are reasons to why nobody has ever bothered trying it out again

Because it was banned.

New is good, but new != better always, especially in racing.

Why not just say all LFS vehicles are running on renewable Ethanol, and say we're ahead of the curve?
Quote from evans :If LFS is to feature a Le Mans Prototype car (which I agree would be awesome), it should be a modern car, and modern seems to be diesel.

There are two diesel-powered teams in the LeMans field (maybe a third if Taurus Sports is willing to give it another go). Most teams/cars, including all new 2007 cars, are running on 'standard' racing fuel still. Fact is that using the 'standard,' development costs are much lower. You have a lighter car, don't need as heavy-duty of a gearbox, etc etc. It's easier, and most teams don't have the funds to try to develop a diesel program like Audi and Pug have. If LFS gets a Proto, diesel or not, it had damn well better not be silent like the R10 is (at the very least, I'd better be able to make it sound like a car using the Shift+A sound editor, instead of the rolling tire sound the R10 has...).

Quote from evans :...There are reasons to why nobody has ever bothered trying it out again...

Actually, it Wankels have been used in racing since then. Either 04 or 05 Mazda put a rotary in a Courage C65 chassis. Only lasted one year because at the first sign of trouble Mazda pulled the plug. They didn't give the time or resources to further the development. If they had, the Wankel in the RX8 would be the better for it. Of course, being tied to Ford, I guess Mazda probably has more serious issues to worry about.

Anyone know if Mazda is having as tough a time as Ford?
Quote from MAGGOT :If LFS gets a Proto, diesel or not, it had damn well better not be silent like the R10 is (at the very least, I'd better be able to make it sound like a car using the Shift+A sound editor, instead of the rolling tire sound the R10 has...).

Think a large proto can be quiet?

Hop over to the UK and hear the Rick Kerry's BMW 120D in the BTCC, just a noticable "woosh".

You know it's him, the car is painfully uncompetitive.
Quote from duke_toaster :You know it's him, the car is painfully uncompetitive.

Hahaha
Reminds me of a Corvette I saw several years ago at Mosport. I looked to me like a Z06 which had the roof cut off and a rollcage added. You could literally only hear the tires rolling. Wasn't fast enough to make the 'whoosh' sound!
lets make a contest...

drawing the prototype and the community vote will be the prototype

just a joke ^^
Quote from Trekkerfahrer :lets make a contest...

drawing the prototype and the community vote will be the prototype

just a joke ^^

Ramtech modeled a fantasy prototype somewhere ...
Quote from duke_toaster :Ramtech modeled a fantasy prototype somewhere ...

not everyone is good in modeling..... so drawing would be better ^^
Not everyone is good at drawing :P
Quote from MAGGOT :Not everyone is good at drawing :P

I suck at drawing. I 100% like modelling better.
I can't say I was a fan of ramtech's proto before, and I'm still not. It looks more like a supercar than an LMGTP.

Here is what we need. I know the creator wants a better platform than rF for the mod. Too bad it can't be put into LFS yet (hint hint, Scavier, hint hint ).
the only good LMGTP Were the ones from the 98/99 Lemans, even tho they were under the GT1 class..
Quote from MAGGOT :I can't say I was a fan of ramtech's proto before, and I'm still not. It looks more like a supercar than an LMGTP.

To be fair, I would widen the cockpit. Other than that it looks great
Quote :the only good LMGTP Were the ones from the 98/99 Lemans, even tho they were under the GT1 class..

Look me in the eye and say that the Mazda 787B and Bentley Speed 8 are beaten in looks by they Porsche 911 GT1. Prototypes that don't look like road cars are the best.
Quote from (-Mark-) :the only good LMGTP Were the ones from the 98/99 Lemans, even tho they were under the GT1 class..

Interesting opinion stated as fact :thumbsdow

Too bad they all had the screwed up regulated underbody that caused slight handling issues (i.e. backflips)
If i put IMO, would that make it better
Quote from srdsprinter :Too bad they all had the screwed up regulated underbody that caused slight handling issues (i.e. backflips)

Only the Merc had that IIRC.
Quote from duke_toaster :Only the Merc had that IIRC.

The Porsche GT1 did the same thing in America at Laguna Seca I believe. It caused less of a stir though than the merc did.

Either way, they all handled like garbage compared to cars with full venturi underbodies.
The Porsche 911 GT1 EVO did a backflip at the Petite LeMans IIRC, as did the BMW LMR.

And lets not forget the tragedy of the R8 backflip in testing.
Quote from (-Mark-) :If i put IMO, would that make it better

Yes, and providing facts or reasons always strengthens an argument especially if its just your opinion.

24h Le Mans special car for LFS
(161 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG