The online racing simulator
#26 - joen
Quote from ramsy66 :I appreciate all the replies I'm getting the impression though that you think I'm slagging the game off for this, I'm not! I really do enjoy the game, and I think I'm getting quite good at it now.

I wish there was a chair to simulate the G-Force, because like you guys say you don't experience the fear/effects you would in a real car.

Going to be a while untill I can get an S2 license though! Don't get paid untill the end of June! :sadbanana

Maybe when you get paid you can buy this together with your S2 license: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1511622080157754821

It will surely add some of the sensation

I don't think people feel that you're bashing the game though, people just like to discuss stuff like this a lot here
Good to hear you're enjoying LFS
Quote from joen :Maybe when you get paid you can buy this together with your S2 license: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1511622080157754821

It will surely add some of the sensation

I don't think people feel that you're bashing the game though, people just like to discuss stuff like this a lot here
Good to hear you're enjoying LFS

Wow! That thing just looks scary!!And to Cue-Ball, yep I am only playing on a 17" and it isn't widescreen. Getting a bigger monitor is also easier said than done. I only get £200 a month (part time work) so it'd take me 2 months to afford a decent sized widescreen monitor. And did I mention I suck with money? Lol, I can't last 2 minutes if I have money!
and try getting some better setups than the default ones! Try searching the Setup section - Bob's easy sets are good and if you are after WR sets, visit the setupfield
Quote :you don't experience the fear/effects you would in a real car.

Yeah, apparently that's coming in another patch.
Instead of explaining that LFS has still some longitudinal grip issues everyone is just blaming lack of seat-of-the-pants feel?
I test drove the demos for Rfactor, GTR2 & LFS when I was looking to get back into simming. LFS was the only one where I didnt go veering off into a wall at each corner my first time out. I was amazed at the car bobbing up n down at speed, field of view, the FF response, and wind noise, etc...
As others stated, until you start feeling g-forces in your seat from turning so hard, you won't be able to fully simulate driving (And there are rigs out there that do this sort of thing!). LFS is the closest to real sim Ive found so far. Everything else still feels and looks too much like a video game.
Quote from deggis :Instead of explaining that LFS has still some longitudinal grip issues everyone is just blaming lack of seat-of-the-pants feel?

LFS does have longitudinal grip issues. I don't think anyone will dispute that. However, lateral grip in LFS is handled very well now (couldn't say that a year ago). The longitudinal issues that LFS does have, don't make it feel like the car has no grip or like "driving on ice" as the OP and others have mentioned. Almost every time I've ever heard someone make the driving on ice complaint (since patch U, at least), it's been because they are going way, way too fast into the corners, not realizing how fast they're really going. The small, constricted image on a computer monitor screws up their perception of speed and there's no g-forces to tell you any different. I guarantee that if the OP played on a big screen setup, or spent 10 minutes in a motion sim, he would have no further doubts about the relative accuracy of the physics model.

So, yes, LFS has grip issues, but that's not what causes most people to have problems staying on the track.
wonder why noone mentioned it till now - are your tires dirty by chance?
press f9 and see if there is a brown stripe in the middle of the wheels.
dirt makes the cars very slippery. also check tire temperatures. with blue
(cold) tires there´s also not much grip. but the effect is more dramatic with
the s2 cars that use slicks.
you have a g25 so you might have some sim experience, but the lfs tire model is surprising to some drivers at first.

happy racing

peace mo
One thing has always bugged me, how in the hell can you pull 1+G's in a XFG (according to the current G meter)
Quote from Taavi(EST) :One thing has always bugged me, how in the hell can you pull 1+G's in a XFG (according to the current G meter)

Plenty of cars can fairly easily pull 1G momentarily (a quick transition from one side to the other, for instance). I doubt that the XFG would be able to pull 1G on the skidpad using the road tires though. At least, not without making it so low and so stiff that you couldn't actually drive the thing around the track.
LFS is realistic to a certain degree. But in a way, is very unrealistic. LFS is realistic if you race with no mechanical problems, or wear and tear of any kind. And that just doesnt happen in real life. So really it is an ideal racing world, where the only thing that wears is your tires, and gas and tires are free, and the rivers a flowing of lolly pops and candy cane. BTW, if you think the xrt drives like its on ice... Try the formula v8 before the updated physics last year! Even until this day, the LX6 and RAC still feel very loose, but the new clutch preload has fixed it very nicely.
first, if you and your family aren't used to play racing games their eyes aren't used to "imagine" the distances, so usually ppl enter at too fast speeds for that turn, second the turns look less tight then they are, for example the turn after the big straight (not the finish straight) looks like a turn that in real life I do it at 160 km/h with my car (you're not a cop are u? :P) but after test the turn I can only do it at 120 top with a similar car, third: the "normal" tires setups are made for racing which have temperature changing much bigger than real life... in real life even with cold tires or real hot tires they have a almost similar grip, in the game no, so if you have cold tires ouch.

so until you practise a bit... try other games also to compare... you'll find it quite "unreal"

for me only lfs and richard burns rally are good simulations, (ok gpl also but not my thing)

try gtr2 or rfactor, they simulate racing quite well, but they dont simulate out of the expected... so for example even if you put normal racing tires instead of slicks, it still is impossible to do correct drifting.

dont forget in the demo the 3 cars you have are like old cars... no good downforce, no esp, no abs, so they are harder then most cars that you can buy now. if you could try a fz50 with traction control you'll see it's easier, even without it it still much better then those 3.

for me only rac is a but unreal... in real life that car would cause too many accidents... I bet that in real life that car has more tendency to understeer than oversteer.

and the formula 1 car wow... that shows how important downforce and good grip really are

sorry for big post, but hope that helps a bit
As has been mentioned above, you need to get your eye in. It's a bit of a transition from a three dimensional world to a two-dimensional display (even if the graphics are 3D). At first LFS does look 'slow' compared with real life, but you need to learn the limits. I find turning the skid volume up to max helps you judge the limit of grip, and adjusting the field-of-view setting can also change your perception of speed. I must admit though, I do find the grass ridiculously slippy in places. But rest assured, the actual driving physics of the cars are as realistic as you'll find on any simulator at the moment. Enjoy!
Remember the cars in LFS are more powerful than your Dad's road car (probably!) In real life you wouldn't drive so fast into corners (if you did it would slide around like on LFS) but in the game it's much harder to get the sensation of speed so there is a tendancy to drive faster, and also because you're racing and in real life you're not (usually).

I can't believe you bought a G25 before buying an S2 licence. Sort it out!
The setup you are on is it hardtrack? If not inferno.com (i think)

Matt

The problem with computer games is that you are very confortable on yout chair and don´t feel G forces and you don´t feel all speed. So, yo can take a 90º corner at 90km/h with the GTI and you feel you are so slow that the car will take it without any problem. But, do that in real life....
So you have to learn to control the G forces without feeling them, is the problem of all simulators
#42 - Tomi
I will add another point : sense of speed.

The Blackwood track is much much wider than normal roads, so you don't get the same sense of speed as you would in a typical european country road. That's probably the reason why your dad and brother think they slide at low speed.

Example : with the slowest LFS car, you can do the 2.1 mile blackwood gp track in 1min42 seconds. Average speed : 74 mph in a 55bhp car with 4 gears. Even with the long straight, this is a very fast average speed considering the engine. That means the corner are taken pretty fast (while it feels quite slow).
Quote from ramsy66 :Hey guys, I've only been playing this game (The alpha version) for a day or so, and so far I've been really enjoying it. I don't drive, but my Dad and Brother do, and I got them to have a go on it to see whether it was realistic, I let them have a go on all 3 cars in the demo, and they both commented on one thing.

Why do the cars corner like they're driving on ice?!?!

I thought this was possibly quite realistic but I also wondered why a car would veer off the road like it was a car with worn down tyres on ice when I was only going about 40 or 50 kmh.

I also tryed all the tyre types, but no joy, the offroad ones were worse (understandibly, because I was on concrete) but you would've thought the hard ground ones would hold you on the concrete whilst going relatively slow.

So is this game that realistic?????

Remember your dad might drive a Ford Focus or simelar car, these cars have 10x more power, an so its hard to compare this to a typical road car, yes it is very realistic once u have practice and get the hang of this game,
#44 - wark
These replies should be insightful. I will add one more thing: watch some of the world's fastest hotlap replays (found on lfsworld.net -> S2 hotlaps -> hotlap charts) and tell me if those cars look like they are on ice.
Quote from Nick A :Remember the cars in LFS are more powerful than your Dad's road car (probably!) In real life you wouldn't drive so fast into corners (if you did it would slide around like on LFS) but in the game it's much harder to get the sensation of speed so there is a tendancy to drive faster, and also because you're racing and in real life you're not (usually).

I can't believe you bought a G25 before buying an S2 licence. Sort it out!

Lol! Yeah I do need an S2 license, but I'm already borrowing the £180 it cost to get the G25, so first I need to pay that back!

It seems the general response I'm getting is that a game can't always simulate the feelings you get in a car, i.e. G-Force, sense of speed. I accept that fully and the game is enjoyable and that's what counts.

And for the people that speculated my Dad's car lol, his car is actually pretty fast, it's a chipped Golf GTI (I think it's GTI), and I'm no expert on cars, but it is pretty damn fast! Basically it's hard to keep your head from being pulled back and hitting the head rest when he accelerates quite hard. And my brother drives a crap car, can't remember what it is but it isn't very good, slow, cheap, but he's young so it's alright for him.
ramsy66: You also have to remember that S2 racers are MUCH friendlier too!
Quote from Nevermore :ramsy66: You also have to remember that S2 racers are MUCH friendlier too!

So far haven't had the greatest experience, at least not on the demo. I'm pretty crap on this game, so I do my best to be considerate to the better people by letting them past. At this one point there were 2 guys both coming up behind me pretty fast, so I attempted to get myself off the track by braking into the grass, didn't go all too well, I ended up losing grip and skidding straight back onto the road!! Both drivers hit me, but both managed to get back into their line pretty fast.

After this happened (A MISTAKE!) 5/6 people voted for me to get banned, so I said "Great, make newcomers feel welcomed!" and I got a quick response of "F*** you!" and then some insult about my driving.

That made me feel intimidated for the rest of the race and I didn't enjoy the rest of the race very much.

I hope there aren't any more people like that on S2!
The best advice is stick to your lines. Don't get out of the way, as you might do something the drivers behind can't predict. If you stick to your racing line then they will find a way passed.

Trying to get offline or offtrack just increases the risk (as you found out).
Quote from wark :I will add one more thing: watch some of the world's fastest hotlap replays (found on lfsworld.net -> S2 hotlaps -> hotlap charts) and tell me if those cars look like they are on ice.

You know, this was exactly what I was going to reply. Very well put
My guess is that you dont have a driving licence yet? Because if you would, then you would see what exactly LFS is compared to real life. Taking the XFG (front wheel drive car in DEMO) and then turn sharply at about 40 KM/H and do the same in real FWD (front wheel drive) car, then you will see what a great sim this game is! I think there was a compare video made in Japan, Where guy had a Golf 4Gti doing the slalom and in split picture it was the XFG doing the same. The weight transition, the backend going out a bit, all that was remarkably close to RL! But my suggestion, stick to the game for a while. Once you get used to speed sence, it will start to knock your socks out! Oh, and dont mind the retarded behaviour on demo servers, it is a 100% oposite here on S2. The only ones you see swearing here are the ones who just bought their licence and think they cut the balls off of the god himself.

Be cool!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG