The online racing simulator
Patch X on Friday - last few days to test!
(78 posts, closed, started )
Quote from joen :uhm, holding off progress to avoid people using different patches? what a silly way of thinking. people can always use two LFS installs, one to test new patches and one using the latest official patch. This sim is a work in progress so you can expect things like that.

hrmmm..fairly new to LFS, but I don´t think it´s about holding off progress...this was an incompatible patch, 2 different (incompatible) kind of clients and servers..
IMHO some people would like the "latest version"...others will prefer the "stable version" ..server owners would choose the version they wanted, but AFAI remember..we could see all servers..

don´t know if it happened with S1=>S2 or another versions...just know what happened from Sep06 to date...anyways waiting for X
#52 - joen
Quote from pacmanrr :hrmmm..fairly new to LFS, but I don´t think it´s about holding off progress...this was an incompatible patch, 2 different (incompatible) kind of clients and servers..
IMHO some people would like the "latest version"...others will prefer the "stable version" ..server owners would choose the version they wanted, but AFAI remember..we could see all servers..

don´t know if it happened with S1=>S2 or another versions...just know what happened from Sep06 to date...anyways waiting for X

As far as I can recall the W test patches were the only incompatible test patches ever released. But I don't think it should matter whether the X test patches will be incompatible or not. After all, they're test patches for a reason, to be tested. Like I said, people can just have two LFS versions.
What Mr. Muh suggested was not releasing any test patches for months because it could be incompatible. That's the wrong way of thinking IMO, it hinders progress. I think Scawen is able to work more effectively when he receives bug reports before releasing the official patch, which in the end makes it a better, more stable patch. Development progress should lead the way, not backwards compatibility.
yay,thank's devs for the good work
Quote from joen : What Mr. Muh suggested was not releasing any test patches for months because it could be incompatible.

Because W was the "first" incompatible..we experienced a "community division"...fair enough, if people want to test it can do 2 installs..etc..(I did )...the effect though, was a division of versions

Quote : That's the wrong way of thinking IMO, it hinders progress. I think Scawen is able to work more effectively when he receives bug reports before releasing the official patch, which in the end makes it a better, more stable patch. Development progress should lead the way, not backwards compatibility.

+1 on this...I agree and support testing and reporting..and also good debates from a live community !!! ......come Y maybe we´ll spread again in 2 versions...maybe not...for me as long as the sim gets better keep on the good work ScaViEr
Quote from Paranoid Android :Yes I agree, those cockpits sure will need some beta testing...Include them in X1 please!

+1. I'll make sure they are thoroughly tested. Throughly.
I have triyed it and the improvements are fully notables. Now if you do a race with bots and you want to change the track, you haven´t to add again the bots. This is a fix that I was waiting And some others very interesting.
A race against 20 bots is awesome, and fram rates are fine

Nice jop LFS team, each patch is a big step
Quote from Becky Rose :There's still the cyrillic alphabet, Mandarin adds another 8000, and doesn't LFS also support Japanese?...

Hahha... thanks for the laughs :ices_rofl
Good job Scawen!
thanks for the information
Great job Scawen!
<- Testpatch Driver so i know what is also in Patch x

but Great job I Joined LFS @ Patch V and i find it the best game ever
Just this little question, will the development for Patch Y start rightaway after the release of Patch X or do you take a little break?

Good luck with the final bug hunting
Quote from XRRoy :Just this little question, will the development for Patch Y start rightaway after the release of Patch X or do you take a little break?

Good luck with the final bug hunting

They took a break on patch w after it was release if i rember.
Quote from Becky Rose :+1, and +1 for not holding the brakes down delaying your tyre change - and accurately stopping in the box resulting in a faster stop (that solves a potential minor 'exploit' in league races too where you block someone off - especially in compulsory pit races where you WANT them to tap and release you so you dont have to wait) .

Once I've pitted with suspension totalled. After car was repaired at lightspeed, he jumped up, so I was able to run away without waiting. Tshhh, another little exploit... if you want to cheat, wreck your car hard.

Quote from DeKo :the handbrake is automatically on when the race starts, and turns off itself when you go in gear, so basically the best thing to do is keep it in neutral and shift up when the lights go green.

Now handbrake turns off when you press gas pedal. Before that you can set whatever gear you want.

Quote from alienheadhunter :<- Testpatch Driver so i know what is also in Patch x

but Great job I Joined LFS @ Patch V and i find it the best game ever

I remember you from South City, wrecker.

Please release patch X in the morning At evening I'm going to warsaw to see F1 car driving on steets. Most likely it will end by beer drinking and chatting to morning, so I'll have to live without patch X till monday
I suppose Y won't need test patches as I imagine it will be basically a graphics overhaul with some physical changes. At least, I hope so, as those are just the kind of things I wouldn't want test patches to spoil

Good job again Scawen with the coding, I'm waiting impatiently for this again

(Although there still isn't a sound when you drive over the kerbs )
Quote from Yaamboo :I suppose Y won't need test patches as I imagine it will be basically a graphics overhaul with some physical changes. At least, I hope so, as those are just the kind of things I wouldn't want test patches to spoil

Good job again Scawen with the coding, I'm waiting impatiently for this again

(Although there still isn't a sound when you drive over the kerbs )

AI programming seems to be pretty complicated! I guess the first test patch will be a bug nest!
Quote :They took a break on patch w after it was release if i rember.

That release was just as we got to xmas though, so the 'break' this time will probably be non existant as LFS is Scawens full time job.
wel iv been using test patch w30 something, so there wont be many suprises for me, but i suppose this means eveyone wil b in the same place online! yey. lol
Updated to W35 now : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=25054

Today's updates :

Admin penalties, pitlane commands and rcm are now recorded in SP Replays
Code page names are now translatable (for switching keyboard layouts)
InSim : Added "always on" option and better control of the clear area

FIX : Dedicated host could stop responding to typed messages and commands
FIX : Occasionally you could not start a race with AI after practicing
FIX : Penalty given during pit stop would make the pit stop never end
FIX : Overtaking lesson could sometimes give an invalid lesson result
FIX : In lesson 81 you needed to park 5 times to complete the lesson
FIX : AI drivers left pit speed limiter on after leaving pit lane
FIX : AI drivers ignored the pit lane speed limit
In patch X, will the option to put voulentary (spelling?) weight on car disappear or will it stay as a feature? I would like it to stay in there since some leagues, including one that I run, would like to use success ballast in cars.
Reason for asking is that I fear it will be gone after the cars have been balanced for PAtch X.
im fairly sure it is staying as Scawen has said nothing about taking it off

P.S its voluntary
W35 is a test patch for X. And Patch X is out in hopefully less than 48 hours.

That means, nothing changes now unless it is a serious issue.
hey Scawen, is there any way to see the connection list AND the position list all at the same time, i can do it in W but not in W32. i have tried pressing 'n' a few times but no luck

Thanks
No. That's a change made to support 32 racers and 48 connections.
But then, it would be handy to be able to click on the racername in the 'position list' and his name comes up on the text. Like when you click on a racers name in 'connection list' his name comes up and the text is directed at him. Sorry, my ability to describe things is poor.

Thanks
awww shame... not the new patch but the timing...

I am taking my last final at uni on friday morning and then fore the rest of the day i will be druuuunk.... Kinda makes me seem a little sad that i would rather play a videogame
This thread is closed

Patch X on Friday - last few days to test!
(78 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG