The online racing simulator
What game got you into racing?
(144 posts, started )
The one game that got me into racing was F1, came with my 8mb
ATI AIW PCI graphics card. I loved that game, it was very realistic for it's time, and the music, just killer! :rock_band ROCK AND ROLL!!

I have it still, somewhere
When I find it I'm loading the sound track to LFS
and then reinstalling it for the memorys.
Accolade's Test Drive, Commodore 64. It was all about the Countach!

It would taunt you if you weren't quick enough: "What's the matter, couldn't find second?"
haven't touched any racing gaming since C64/Amiga days.. until:

NFS: Underground 2 only a few years ago - saw my nephew have a go at it, and he had a wheel. Dunno why, but never considered any wheel to be anything else than a child's toy.

But I gave it a try and got completely hooked. Few days later I bought me a Momo set. My days with NFS ended after few months. At that time I began missing something more demanding (not that I was anywhere near to being a good/fast/whatever driver), and moved on to F1 Challenge and yadda yadaa...
the game that got me into racing spirit and the first racing game i touched is the original NFS. Those times cars weren't "ricey" as of now in carbon its loved By :riceboy: :uglyhamme
#30 - Goop
Test Drive on the c64 would probably have been my first "proper" racing game. Also Hard Drivin' in the arcades.... proper 3 pedal setup and gears, w00t

Stunts on the C64 too, and Indy 500 on PC :cyclops:
rally masters on windows 98, not that old but then again either am i lol
either pole position on the atari, or rad racer on the nintendo... i cant remember which one i played 1st.

wow.. rad racer came out the year i was born and pole position came out in freaking 1982...

mine was a game on the amiga where you raced lotus sports cars.........cant remember the title. "sigh"......old age i guess
Lotus Challenge?

Mine was Sega Rally on Saturn. Used to race my mum in split screen mode for hours on that one. Christ, that's 10 years ago now! I feel old
Quote from mr grady :mine was a game on the amiga where you raced lotus sports cars.........cant remember the title. "sigh"......old age i guess

Definately Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge. Fantastic game for 89-91
#37 - Goop
Racing Destruction Set!! That was my first 'multiplayer' racing game.... tee hee hee, oh the fun

.... and Stunt Car Racer, probably my favourite. The awesomest physics and coolest sound

I hate these threads, I always end up [legally] downloading emus & roms that I only ever play once
Stunts on 386 was what got me started, I loved building my own tracks and doing jumps or sliding round corners in lambos and ferraris lol. For its time it was a really great game.

After that it was GP2 which I played for a long time, then after that Sports Car GT.

I kinda stopped playing racing games few years ago, late last year when my friend showed me LFS though I had to buy it, along with a new wheel (The old Thrustmaster T2 was a bit too outdated lol).

Found an original review from 1994 about stunts too lol http://www.ibiblio.org/GameBytes/issue20/misc/stunts.html
#39 - JJ72
Quote from Bob Smith :The Need for Speed / IndyCar Racing II. Not sure which I got into first. Although I'd played other arcade type games, those were the first two that tried to give a realistic impression.

exactly the same for me.

I was very addicted with both however was only competitve in NFS.
For me it was always the other way around. I just liked all things about cars, technical and mechanical when I was younger and playing racing games was just an extension to that. If there wasn't a racing sim today I would probably have made one from wood and concrete myself

I liked Sportscar GT at the time although I liked more about the cars I could drive than the driving itself...
The question is wrong for me.

I have been a huge fan of F1 for 11 years. The love for F1 and racing in general got my interested by other forms of racing, BTCC, WRC, WTCC etc.

Therefore I got interested in racing games.
My first racing games were Test Drive, Test Drive II (the Duel) and F1GP all in Amiga. I loved the F1 game so much that I played full championship seasons with 100% length races.
#43 - DeKo
the very first toca game on the ps1. me and my dad used to sit for hours on it, until i realised how to tap his rear and spin him out and he went away in a huff.
Dunno wich came first for me,i dont remember, F-zero, super Mario kart, top gear, Stunt race FX,test drive,need for speed...
Bumbin Buggies (C64)

and

TestDrive (C64)
Top Gear and Top Gear 2 =]
Hard Drivin' was probably the one that got me going. Other memorables are Indy 500 listed above (until I lost the manual and couldn't play! ARG@!#%) and Virtua Racing.
Am I the only one who noticed those vids are better quality then most of the vids from the Movie section
Oh geeze... I've always loved racing games. Growing up, I remember playing the Pole Position arcade game at the local movie theater (it was still there last time I went, too). I'm not sure if Spy Hunter on the NES counts or not, but it was good fun. Top Gear and Top Gear 2 on SNES were favorites of a friend and myself. I've owned several of the earlier Need for Speed games on the PS1, as well as Gran Turismo 1 and 2 (GT1 was just mind blowing at the time -- I remember buying up a Mitsubishi 3000GT and getting it up to 999 horsepower ). I've probably rented or played most other racing games for the PS1 and 2. There's also a a 4-wheeler racing game called ATV Offroad Fury that was particularly good fun to duel with my friends.

I've always been a fan of RPG's as well, and got hooked on EverQuest for a long time (years), so that pretty much dominated my gaming for a while. I also did brief stints in EQ2, WoW, and Vanguard Beta before finally giving those MMORPG's up for good... they're just too time consuming when you're "all grown up" and have to pay the bills and do all that other "important" stuff. I've got LFS now and a nice G25 wheel, so that's been soaking up what little free time I have nowadays (when there's not a real race on).

Oddly enough, though, despite growing up loving racing games, I never was truly interested in motorsports until my high school girlfriend's father took me to the local short track one Saturday night. Being there and taking in all the sounds and smells, I was just sucked right in and hooked for life. Nothing else can really get my blood pumping like the the screaming growl of a race engine, vibrating sheet metal, and noxious exhaust fumes.
Lfs got me into racing... I played a lot of games but LFS did the job.

What game got you into racing?
(144 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG