The online racing simulator
TEST Patch V5 (compatible with V)
(204 posts, closed, started )
I dought it is related but who knows and it was damed odd. after installing V5 my DFP software would not see all the buttons on my contoler. It saw my DFP as a Wingman Pro. I had to get new controler software and after that is was like it never happened.

I have no idea how an update to LFS could cause that or if its even possible but I just wanted to see if it was just me. Personaly I have never had a problem with any other test patch.
Just over an hour ago I downloaded Bugle's WR lap at SO Long Rev in the FO8 and got about half way into it when the screen froze then became completely blue. Upon restarting my computer I was informed that a Windows system file was either corrupt or missing. Had to use my recovery CD to get back into Windows.

I'm not sure if this is a patch V5 thing or just my laptop. I had been downloading and installing various files from lfs-database. Could be a coincidence, but I thought it would be worthwhile reporting this just in case it isn't.
Quote from MoodyB :Thanks

Done all that, apart from installing AMD's optimizer, as plenty of people have had issues with it. I seemed to have solved the freezing here by turning off VSync, but we'll see.

( BTW, not sure what effect this would have in LFS when using VSync, but I have the DirectX ' render frames ahead ' value set to 1 instead of the default of 3 )

Youre welcome, i dont have any problems with the AMD optimizer so far and never heared of anyone ever had some but heck i dont know everybody so you might be right =) Besides, which kind of monitor do you have? In case you have a CRT, V-SYNC is useless in most of all cases anyway as far as i know.

cheers
Quote from The Moose :Wasn't sure weather to post this here, but it's only happened since v5.

I had LFS lock up on me for the first time ever tonight...black screen with looping sound.
And twice tonight I've just teleported mid race and re-appeared behind where i started...unable to drive off again as i keep teleporting from one side of the track to another. Better seen than described i think....have a look.(I start at the back of the grid)

I've never seen either of these things before v5
Specs fwiw AMD2400xp/ati9700pro/1 gig ram/WindowsXP

That is very strange what happened to you on the first lap (I only watched first lap - do tell me if it happened again in the same replay as I've got a lot to do).

Quote from flinty72 :Scawen, I have noticed pop-ups since V5. Not sure if it is related to the changes in the test patches or my PC as I have had pop-ups previously but not this bad.
Seen them at South City, light poles, tress and some signs. Also at Westhill but was just one thing the white lines on the road near pit entry/exit.

I guess you have a high screen resolution, and you did not turn up your LOD when you installed V5. V5 LOD defaults to 0.6, which gives slightly higher LOD than someone using an old version with a 1024 wide screen - my mistake, I think the default should have been 0.8 like it was in V4. You should be able to turn LOD up higher than it ever was before - unless your screen is wider than 1920 in which case you were able to get higher LOD in the past - though that should be unnecessary (except that the moving trees (e.g. the ones at blackwood) are known to pop up too much and I'm going to look into them). Please, anyone who reports LOD or pop-up issues, tell us your new LOD setting and you screen resolution, and your FOV, otherwise we cannot reproduce what you see, and your report is a bit meaningless.

Quote from imthebestracerthereis :Love the new patch Great Work!!!

the only thing i dont like so much is the PLPIT ect :/

Please do explain why you don't like them, obviously they are meant to be good. Are you an InSim developer and these don't provide enough info for what you want to do?
Hangs / Freezes
OK, there have been a lot of hangs and freezes reported, but most of those reports don't contain any of the info we need.

You MUST report your CPU and your graphics card and driver versions, if you have had a hang / blue screen / etc. Remember, it doesn't hang or have any problems for most people, so it's something to do with your computer, and that's what we need to know.

EDIT : I've made a special Hang / Freeze thread, please post over there http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=21660
Quote from Scawen :-Willi- : this is with FOV of 120 I guess?

Yes I have noticed the trees popping up at BL, when I use a lod that seems fine for cars, there is too much tree popup and I've made a note to check if that should be balanced a bit. I think they have a needlessly low draw distance and I can increase that to an acceptable value.

Is it only trees? Or do you have something else popping up as well, that didn't pop up before?

yes, FOV = 120
Trees were most disturbing so I recognized that at once. Can't remember anything else, but I just have driven AS3r, KY3 and BL1r. And these popups were only at BL1r disturbing.
I would just like to give a special personal thank you to Scawen for the new INSIM features. I'm very happy.
I tested out Vsync and this is what I got.

LFS in Window mode 77 fps with Vysnc enabled.
LFS in window mode 76 fps with Vsync disabled.

LFS Full Screen mode 41 fps with Vsync enabled.
LFS Full Screen mode 20 fps with Vsync disabled.
(very big and unplayable drop, interesting).

AMD 64 3700+, Radeon 9550pro, 1.5 gig ram. 2xAA enabled. 1440x900 resolution, Acer 19" widescreen monitor.
Quote from Lotesdelere :When LFS is in windowed mode using Shift+F4, I have a huge FPS drop when I hover one of the icons in the task bar as long as the little popup showing the full name of the application is displayed.

FYI I've found the culprit ones: AA and AF.
In the ATI drivers if I set the global quality control slider to the middle (balanced) and if I set AA and AF to automatic mode (application preference), then reboot, the problem is gone: there is no FPS drop anymore when the info balloons are displayed.
Quote from Scawen :That is very strange what happened to you on the first lap (I only watched first lap - do tell me if it happened again in the same replay as I've got a lot to do).

I couldn't drive away from that teleporting from side to side incident(stuck in a loop)..so i quit out of the race at that point.
The first time it happened, earlier in the evening, I just got the initial teleport but was able to carry on driving after it happened.

Oh and ffwiw it happened with V-synch both on and off
Quote from russraine :I tested out Vsync and this is what I got.

LFS in Window mode 77 fps with Vysnc enabled.
LFS in window mode 76 fps with Vsync disabled.

LFS Full Screen mode 41 fps with Vsync enabled.
LFS Full Screen mode 20 fps with Vsync disabled.
(very big and unplayable drop, interesting).

60Hz refresh rate by any chance? It's a known problem with V-synch that if you can't meet the v-snch refresh rates in terms of FPS, then you can drop down to a fraction of it (in your case one third). I get this issue but only if I used temporal AA, no idea why.
Not latest test patch but maybe helpful... LFS 0.5V2, windowed (at the moment of crash it was hidden under other windows), shift+U mode, connected to LFS director, playing replay of race on FE4R. Crash address: 0x00000000004aa9b2.
Quote from Bob Smith :60Hz refresh rate by any chance? It's a known problem with V-synch that if you can't meet the v-snch refresh rates in terms of FPS, then you can drop down to a fraction of it (in your case one third). I get this issue but only if I used temporal AA, no idea why.

I think I am using Temporal AA as well.... I read it was meant to be better, I'll have to switch it off and try again.
Yup switching TAA off worked a treat. Great work on the patch.
Wait, you get less fps with VSync disabled?
Probably a typo on his part, especially since my suggestion worked.
Quote from AndroidXP :Wait, you get less fps with VSync disabled?

I went from 60 fps with VSync enabled and App. Controled AA and AF to 110 fps with VSync disabled plus changing to 4XAA and 8XAF. It looks tons better and smoother. With only the VSync change, it's like a 60-70 fps difference.
Well, an increase is expected, but not a decrease. Though it's probably just a mix up like Bob suggested
Quote from Montabur :...and what is vr-mode?

... i use shutter-glasses and a driver-addon of the nvidia gfx-driver. So i can race in real 3D. VR = virtual reality
Quote from flinty72 :Scawen, I have noticed pop-ups since V5. Not sure if it is related to the changes in the test patches or my PC as I have had pop-ups previously but not this bad.
Seen them at South City, light poles, tress and some signs. Also at Westhill but was just one thing the white lines on the road near pit entry/exit.

It's not just me then. Fences along the back straight and the pitwall on Westhill take up all my attention these days . Haven't checked other tracks. nVidia 8800GXT, 22" lcd 1680x1050
EDIT: FOV usually in the 60-65degrees range
Don't worry, you guys who use greater than 90 degrees FOV on high res screens, who now get more pop-up than before! I am no longer using a lower lod for view angles greater than 90 degrees. I still do increase the LOD for zoomed in narrow view, just not decreasing it for wide view any more. Also the moving trees aren't using LOD at all any more, so that helps a lot at Blackwood and probably some other places, specially if people do want to use a lower LOD for things like cars, now they can without trees popping up all over the place.
Quote from Scawen :Don't worry, you guys who use greater than 90 degrees FOV on high res screens, who now get more pop-up than before! I am no longer using a lower lod for view angles greater than 90 degrees. I still do increase the LOD for zoomed in narrow view, just not decreasing it for wide view any more. Also the moving trees aren't using LOD at all any more, so that helps a lot at Blackwood and probably some other places, specially if people do want to use a lower LOD for things like cars, now they can without trees popping up all over the place.

This pop-up/LOD switching has gone on a for a while. Would an option to disable all LOD switching/ stay at max geometry/meshes/textures be helpful in speeding up testing of patches?

This is not a question or needing any reply or discussion, just a comment.
Discussion can be had outside the patch forum if of any interest.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=16726
Quote from Scawen :I guess you have a high screen resolution, and you did not turn up your LOD when you installed V5. V5 LOD defaults to 0.6, which gives slightly higher LOD than someone using an old version with a 1024 wide screen - my mistake, I think the default should have been 0.8 like it was in V4. You should be able to turn LOD up higher than it ever was before - unless your screen is wider than 1920 in which case you were able to get higher LOD in the past - though that should be unnecessary (except that the moving trees (e.g. the ones at blackwood) are known to pop up too much and I'm going to look into them). Please, anyone who reports LOD or pop-up issues, tell us your new LOD setting and you screen resolution, and your FOV, otherwise we cannot reproduce what you see, and your report is a bit meaningless.

Sorry Scawen , my bad so here are my specs, LOD & POV settings.
I should also mention I am using a mix of 3rd part HiRes Track Textures.

System Specs:
AMD Opteron 146 @ 2.50G
2G DDR500 Patriot RAM
LeadTek 7600GT (running 2 CRT Monitors, LFS on one only)
Graphics Drivers: 6.14.10.9371
AA = 8xS, AF = 16X

Screen Res = 1280x960 (32 bit) 85Hz
FOV = 90
In-Game User LOD = 1.00
Dust LOD = 1.00
Mirror LOD = 0.3
Hardware Vertex Shading = On
Dynamic LOD Reduntion = 0.00
Quote from Mister2zx3 :This pop-up/LOD switching has gone on a for a while. Would an option to disable all LOD switching/ stay at max geometry/meshes/textures be helpful in speeding up testing of patches?

This is not a question or needing any reply or discussion, just a comment.
Discussion can be had outside the patch forum if of any interest.
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=16726

Well... no, the new idea is that at full LOD you shouldn't get any visible lod popping. And if you turn off the multiplayer speedup option, you shouldn't get visible lod reduction even if there are other nearby cars all over your screen. I'm trying to make this work for everyone.

Remember, I have now removed totally, all lod on tracks and trees because it's not needed. The only lod is on objects where lod has been specified (e.g. tyres and cones) cars and humans. As a developer I can't allow the total removal of LOD, it would be just crazy to draw a distant car which takes 5 pixels on the screen, with several thousand polygons. The aim is to set the lod correctly so that at Max User LOD, you don't see lod popping.

These last couple of test patches are all about lod and that's why it's gone on a bit, the lod system needed a big overhaul because it was all out of control and not giving control to the user. Now it's supposed to be simple, let the user control it and not let fov and screen resolution control it automatically in confusing and unpredictable ways.

Another reason why it may seem to have gone on a bit is there are so many different configurations.

But actually to me it doesn't seem to have gone on long at all... it's just like anything else, it takes a while to get right. LFS graphics have come along a bit these last few days, even without any of Eric's actual updates which are in development.
Quote from Scawen :even without any of Eric's actual updates which are in development.

ARghaha, you're such a tease!!!111

I won't bother asking because I know how you operate....

But on topic: I have noticed pretty significant improvement in the overall clarity and impression of the LFS graphics. FPS seems much more consitent from track to track and in diverse situations. Nice work!
Quote from Tweaker :This is for logging of messages right?

How exactly does the logging work now Scawen? I used to use the original logging option all the time, and it worked fine. But now we have to do it manually each time or what? Or will there always be a log file created with the name you set?

Besides that, the command doesn't work for me, and no file is ever created. Need this clarified, since this is important for when I am a server admin.

The command only works for me in Singleplayer, I can no longer log Multiplayer events. And I have to type the command in each time I start LFS (that can't be good)... why not overwrite the same log file like you did with deb.log, or just have a log folder with dated logs?

OK, I have tried to reproduce any issue with this but could not. It works in all modes.

There are two ways to set the log file.

1) If starting using a command line or command file (e.g. dedicated host) include the line /log=deb.log

2) If you want it in a non-dedicated host which you do not start with a command line then the easiest way is to add the line to your autoexec.lfs script.
This thread is closed

TEST Patch V5 (compatible with V)
(204 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG