The online racing simulator
TEST Patch V5 (compatible with V)
(204 posts, closed, started )
Hello Racers! Here is a new fully compatible Test Patch, V5. It fixes some issues that remained in V4. The V4 to V5 changes are listed below.

The changes from V to V5 are all listed below in this post. Some of the changes (like the unlocking fixes which were in V2) are very important to some people. Many people will like some of the other improvements, even though there are no physics changes or any major multiplayer changes (which we do hope to release in the near future). In particular I think most people will be happy that we are now using DaveWS's sounds as the default sounds! Thank you Dave!

There are also various minor graphical improvements and several new InSim packets which will be helpful for people developing race management systems. Hosts will also be happy with the new option /adminslots which reserves connection slots for administrators.

LFS S2 has now diverged into two versions, a compatible version and a non-compatible version. As we continue to develop the incompatible version, I may copy some compatible changes into the compatible version so they get well tested and you get a few updates - and any important issues get fixed.

This thread is for feedback about the test patch. We need to know if you find any problems. Please do not make feature requests on this thread. Thank you!

Changes in TEST PATCH V5 :

User LOD defaults to 0.6 (still higher than old versions)
Some improvements to the ? info system in List of Games
Unlocks now increased every Friday instead of monthly
Wind and skid volumes are 33% louder for all settings
InSim FIX : IS_PSF packet is now sent correctly

Changes from V to V4 :

Sound :

Included new default car sounds created by DaveWS
Engine sounds automatically switch to new defaults
No need to type edit_eng before using sound editor
Distortion is constant regardless of volume setting
New PACK button in sound editor to load a sound pack

2D Display :

Improved small map car pointers
Improved needles and markers on clocks
Slightly more efficient 2d graphics drawing
Driver names appeared too late when using wide FOV
Reduced width of lag meter (see more with ctrl+shift)
FIX : Wide screen autocross object selection buttons
FIX : Invisible warning when wrong way reversing

Graphics :

Higher resolution image in mirrors
Higher level of detail available in main view
Removed unecessary LOD checks on most scenery
Removed option "Wider screen increases LOD"
Removed option "All scenery at maximum LOD"

Interface :

Selected setup is displayed in F12 menu
Another small reduction in pit-out glitch
ESC now closes live suspension view and sound editor
HOME key now works correctly in single player replays
ESC in game setup screen now exits to entry screen
SHIFT+O in main entry screen now goes to options
CTRL+S saves a screen shot to the shots folder
Setups can be sorted by name as well as date
Any resolution as wide as 3:1 is considered 3 screen
FIX : Next screen shot number was not saved on exit
FIX : Default sound selected when deleting a colour
FIX : Mouse cursor is now visible on window border
FIX : Small renaming bug when saving replays

Multiplayer :

Join specific game - colours are removed from name
New option /adminslots=X reserves slots for admins
Admins can now use in-game : /laps /qual /hours /wind
New InSim packets (pit - penalty - take over - flags)
FIX : MsgOutPack (MSO) now shows long user messages
FIX : Wrong delay "setup changes" after tyre change

Views :

View options now visible before you go on track
Separate FOV stored for each car's custom view
Separate steer look option for each custom view
Improved options for follow view (chase cam)
View screen rearranged to make more sense

Misc :

New language : Slovenian / Slovenski
Various translation updates and improvements
Game setup screen stats : join - pit - spectate
Master port is now selectable in cfg.txt (29339 or 8080)
Set log file name /log=name.xxx or /log to stop logging
FIX : Unlocking issue with AMD Athlon 64
FIX : Unlocking issue with Cedega

INSTALLATION :

1) Move or save the patch into your main LFS folder
2) Double click the patch to extract it to that folder
3) When you see "Confirm File Replace" select "Yes to All"
3) Now you can start LFS in the normal way

DOWNLOAD :

TEST PATCH V5 (1.5 MB) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_V5_TEST.exe

DEDICATED HOST V5 (1 MB - for hosting only) :
www.liveforspeed.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_S2_DEDI_V5.zip
Just installed and so far it looks good. Tks devs. However, still notice a slightly drop in framerate thro. Doesn't matter for me.. 8x fps to 78-79fps.

Dunno if it's place to ask, will Scaven interested in help for translating LFS to Traditional Chinese? I'm up for that. LMK.
Everything works fine here , i'd just like to know why you dont use the automatic upgrade anymore?
Because it is a test patch, not everything is guaranteed to work well.
Quote from ldriver :Everything works fine here , i'd just like to know why you dont use the automatic upgrade anymore?

'cause it is not an official patch. People are free to test the "Test Patches" :-)
#6 - Renku
Quote from Scawen :User LOD now defaults to 0.8 (still higher LOD than old versions)

What current LOD value would equal the one in the old versions? Since I can use old .spr's now, I want to check the FPS change for myself.
i like everything except
Quote :Loaded engine sounds automatically switch to new default sounds

cuz ive set all my sounds, i dont wanna search every sound again
so ill stick with V3 for now.
but nice work, like the admin slots option (which i have suggested ages ago )
Quote from myself :
im not sure if this has been reported before by anyone, i have noticed a strange thing, no matter if im in race or replay, the fov seems to changes even if its the same car. For example, (attachment) im in a FXO and the guy behind me called "Soundforge" as well. Now as you can see, the car is the same and i havend edited the value at all. I havend tried that with other cars so far and if you need the replay as well please let me know. It was already in patch V.

About the improvements:

Higher resolution image in mirrors
CTRL+S saves a screen shot to the shots folder
No need to type edit_eng before using sound editor

Those are my favorites

cheers
Attached Filesshots.zip (192.1 KB, 89 views)

Source: TEST Patch V2 (compatible with V)

Hello again, i just tried the replay again (with V4) which contains this "bug" and its still there. This time ill post the replay so you can have a look at it. I already tried other replays with tracks like westhill or aston and the bug isn't there. Anyway, here you go.
Attached files
20 laps at south city.part1.rar - 1.4 MB - 275 views
20 laps at south city.part2.rar - 1.3 MB - 235 views
Everything seems to work fine here, nice stuff in there!

... but I might have a little suggestion while we're on the topic of test patches (and patches in general). It's not something very big, but every time there's a new patch, 'windowed while connecting' seems to reset itself, and since I'm a bit of a psychopath (like everybody =) ), I swear at it every time :P

EDIT: I like the new credits!

Quote from boosterfire :
..'windowed while connecting' seems to reset itself, ...

Thats because some firewalls see LFS patches as a new application, so LFS self windows incase your firewall activates and LFS locks up.
#11 - gogh
I still have problems to unlock the game with Cedega even with the latest fix. I've tried with patch V2 and V4 with no success, I still got the same unlock error message as before.

Note that I'm using CVSCedega, not the commercial Cedega version. CVSCedega is free...
This seems to work for me perfectly fine. I had a slight problem with the pit command being delayed but everything seems good to me.

I just realized that you use the same program for installation that Netkar uses.
I'm liking the tempurature guage now, could this be leading somewhere soon?
V4 is working very well for me - i get about 10 to 15% more fps compared to v2 (in NV-Stereo-Mode).

I´ve got just a tiny problem with textur-flickering (only in vr-mode) on some buildings - i don´t know on which version the flickering started, but i´m sure, some releases before.

Each time i start lfs, i see a optimized game - just fast and close to be perfect. I would be glad to see other game-developers on your level.

I´m sorry, but i can´t find any differences in sound, compared to V2 (have i missed DSound 3D? - it would be so easy for you )...
Nice new symbols with the gauges, although, shouldn't they say E/F (empty&full) and H/C (hot&cold). Of course I can understand the more programmer type of approach with the 1 and 0, which is funny I guess if you handle lots of zeros and ones in your work
Quote from Renku :What current LOD value would equal the one in the old versions? Since I can use old .spr's now, I want to check the FPS change for myself.

It's hard to say without knowing your old settings, what screen resolution you use and if you had "Wider screen increases LOD" YES (as it was by default).

In fact, LOD 1.0 in the new version gives the same car LOD as the old version would if you had a large screen 1920 pixels wide and set to "wider screen increases LOD".

So, assuming you left "Wider screen increases LOD" YES (as default) in your old version, the LOD you must set to give the same car LOD, is this :

new_version_lod = old_version_lod * your_screen_resolution / 1920
Quote from 510N3D :Source: TEST Patch V2 (compatible with V)

Hello again, i just tried the replay again (with V4) which contains this "bug" and its still there. This time ill post the replay so you can have a look at it. I already tried other replays with tracks like westhill or aston and the bug isn't there. Anyway, here you go.

Thanks. The explanation is the animation of the female driver model used by soundforce sits back in her seat with her head quite far back.

The FOV is the same, it's just a difference in the head position due to the animation.
hmm... could someone please pack up the files as a normal .ZIP or .RAR archive for me? This 7-zip exe doesn't work for me. I get a "is not supported archive" message when I try to run it
Probably a corrupted download - delete the old one and try downloading again.
four quick tries later and I still get the same
I had the same problem with an earlier test patch as well...

--- edit ---
refference to earlier problems. I was not alone...
http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=350118#post350118

File I get to disk this time is 1540776 byte big, is this right? I do not think it's corrupted...
mirror no longer online

X-Ter: you're welcome
Many thanks
Since I upgraded to Test Patch S2V4 (from S2V) I have been experiencing weird pedal automatic-recalibration issues on my break pedal.

Equipment:
- Logitech DFP wheel with latest Logitech drivers.
- ECCI 6000 pedals

Symptoms:
- After a few minutes the pedal invertion magically swaps so that I have to go into the Options and deselect Invert on the break pedal. Once the invertion has swapped it seems to stabilise and stay in the opposite pedal calibration until I next start the game. Upon starting the game the pedal works fine and then the invertion swaps again magically in the background.

- Sometime after the invertion issue the break pedal will just automatically recalibrate itself. The result of this is usually that the pedal "bars" ( the things showing the amount of pedal application) show about 30% pedal applied when the actual pedal is released. One press and release of the break pedal then takes that to around 50-60%~ish. A 2nd press and release of the break pedal then seems to get the calibration back in so that upon release it is back set to 0% again and I can resume lapping as usual.

This is definitely new since I applied the test patch V4 (I did not apply test patches V2 or V3).

Has anyone else seen this at all?
I have also been experiencing the "stuck pedal" lately. In my case the throttle gets stuck. At first I thought my G25 was starting to fail, but I am >>sometimes<< able to reproduce it by downshifting, braking and blipping the throttle.

Im using manual clutch.
This thread is closed

(204 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG