The online racing simulator
Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
I'm just glad i never bought
ooh, u dl'ed it
Quote from Bean0 :Some people firmly believe in 'try before you buy'

After testing beta and reading they will ship it with some bugs left some fixed and now reading these posts shows nothing was fixed, easy to make conclusion even without trying final cra... ehm, game
Picked this up yesterday from Gamestation.

Dosn't run the best on my (mid-range) pc, but it's proved fun and i've played it for a few hours now.

Only trouble is my wheel (DFP) is set to 720 degrees in control panel, and all set-up in game, but in game it's only acting as 540 degrees. Meaning that last 90 degrees of each 'lock' has no affect. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Matt
Quote from Jakg :75-80 degrees is where things start to overheat, so thats fine!

Umm... I did ati auto overclock facility and it took my x1900xtx to 690mhz core and 1680mhz memory or something and it hid 94 degrees!

I canceled it and i was leftwith MAJOR artifacts for some, 15 mins
ouch, i know that some 8800GTX's get to 95 under load though
Sounds like that for modern GFX air cooling is not enough anymore or then case cooling should be insane?

Best thing in passive water cooling is that no matter how much you load your system there just is no any noise increase at all, but it is not easy way to happiness, there are some problems and certainly installation might need some creative thinking and sometimes you even need to make own parts for the job (as there is no blocks for all cards) so it really is not easiest solution.
Passive Water Cooling SUCKS - i should know, ive got a Reserator! Its better than stock, yes, but a £30 Tuniq Tower and a £25 VF-900 will give better temps. Good water cooling (ie Swiftech Stuff) is REALLY good, but overkill for non-overclockers

ATM, the cooler on an 8800GTX is VERY good, its just as good as a VF-900 (stick one on an overclocked, voltmodded 7600GT and watch as the temps drop 30°C!)

In future i don't know what they'll do, i think the 8800's were rushed, as they wanted to be the first DX10 card and they've made a pile off it, i'm hoping they'll go to 65 nm rather than invent new cooling systems
Quote from Jakg :Passive Water Cooling SUCKS - i should know, ive got a Reserator! Its better than stock, yes, but a £30 Tuniq Tower and a £25 VF-900 will give better temps. Good water cooling (ie Swiftech Stuff) is REALLY good, but overkill for non-overclockers

ATM, the cooler on an 8800GTX is VERY good, its just as good as a VF-900 (stick one on an overclocked, voltmodded 7600GT and watch as the temps drop 30°C!)

In future i don't know what they'll do, i think the 8800's were rushed, as they wanted to be the first DX10 card and they've made a pile off it, i'm hoping they'll go to 65 nm rather than invent new cooling systems

Reserator is full crap, sure they have nice product getting your money, but cooling capacity of that is nowhere near to levels I have.
Most stuff sold is just tricks to get your moneys, question everything in water cooling business, don't trust anything company made.

I have pump from aquarium shop, radiator from plummer shop etc. etc. I only use water cooling products where price meets what product is.

I do have quite few square feets of radiator surface, damn house temp goes up when I play LFS, but nothing even nearly comes to air cooling temps.

Also some may think that hitting water block to gfx card is all you need, wrong, there are components that need air flow, for example I cool memory with air, but thing is even very small air flow is enough, again can get away with very quiet and slow fans in my case cooling.

Most stuff about water cooling that I see are silly, stupid or wrong, I see some articles called reviews where they use some fancy named over priced crap and say how good that is, when using bit of brains one can source much better with 1/10th of price, I can see kids that have blown their systems when tried to install water cooling using zip ties or something as stupid.

I don't even know what Swiftec does today, but I can say it is overpriced junk, whole business of course is based to that. Bit same with cars, if something looks some F&F crap they put big price tag in it and idiots buy like there would be no tomorrow.
Good example is free flow air filters, they put these next to exhaust manifold sucking +100C air instead of perfectly capable stock filter that would get cold air and with small air box mods there would be ton less restriction, but no they put these K&Ns or what ever next to exhaust manifolds.

Always question stuff, think and check if really that could work.
i didnt buy the reserator, twas a gift, so i cannot complain.

i have my whole PC cooled by two 80 mm fans, one next to the HDD's, and one at the back and it works fine - i also recently got some TCCD memory, and while overclocking (MMmmm, DDR566!) i added an 80 mm over it - the only thing and of it needs is some air movement

Swiftech is NOT overpriced junk, it's £100, and VERY good, and when added to a Peliter can get some GREAT results
Quote from Jakg :i didnt buy the reserator, twas a gift, so i cannot complain.

i have my whole PC cooled by two 80 mm fans, one next to the HDD's, and one at the back and it works fine - i also recently got some TCCD memory, and while overclocking (MMmmm, DDR566!) i added an 80 mm over it - the only thing and of it needs is some air movement

Swiftech is NOT overpriced junk, it's £100, and VERY good, and when added to a Peliter can get some GREAT results

Hehe, true you can't complain from gifts

£100 is loads of money, you can get same results with only spending fraction of money if you avoid ready made easy stuff. They make insane profit from that stuff really.
Quote from Jakg :ouch, i know that some 8800GTX's get to 95 under load though

so ? usual operational temps for silicone waffles are 0-125 and i can tell from expierence that the will survive a lot more if they have to (quite painful btw)
100+ on a gfx , and for me i would just switch off the system, not risking damage to the kind of card that would hit that temperatures
I'm stuck in my choice guys. I'm going to get TDU for my birthday, but i don't know the system. If i get it for PC, i may have to wait a couple weeks/months for a new computer(that might now work it very well). If i get it for Ps2, i get no online, worse graphix, watch it on a bad TV, but i get to play it the minute i get it. Which side should i choose?
PC, get patched to close to bugs in the game, PS2 you are stuck - online PC the way to go!
Hm.... just bought it, just isntealled it. Tryed playing it. The loading movie lagged incredibly, and the gameplay is even worse. This is THE WORST lag ive ever experienced. Idk my full computer specs, but ive got 1 gig of ram and my computer always runs LFS flawlessly with up to 3 other programs in the back ground (multitasking).

I exited EVERYTHING but TDU, and even ended the "explorer.exe" process, and the game was lagging just as bad.

I didnt tinker around with any settings yet, because its so hard to move the mouse having to wait 5 seconds for it to move, and for you to see it just passed where you wanted it to.

What do you guys think? Is it possible for me to make it playable, or am i best off selling it on ebay, and just buying it for PS2?
PS2 version lacks cars , mode and graphics. The only thing i can suggest is do what feels right,. UPGRADE YOUR HEAPOPOOPASCOOPA pc

And also, wait till they do the patch to fix the fps problems and make sure your system meets minimum specs
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :Hm.... just bought it, just isntealled it. Tryed playing it. The loading movie lagged incredibly, and the gameplay is even worse. This is THE WORST lag ive ever experienced. Idk my full computer specs, but ive got 1 gig of ram and my computer always runs LFS flawlessly with up to 3 other programs in the back ground (multitasking).

I exited EVERYTHING but TDU, and even ended the "explorer.exe" process, and the game was lagging just as bad.

I didnt tinker around with any settings yet, because its so hard to move the mouse having to wait 5 seconds for it to move, and for you to see it just passed where you wanted it to.

What do you guys think? Is it possible for me to make it playable, or am i best off selling it on ebay, and just buying it for PS2?

Bump? It would be a shame to have to sell this...
TDU is a pretty demanding game, if you have a spare partition and can install "XPlite" try it, but it may just be your PC specs.

My PC specs are pretty close to being too low, CPU is pretty low compared to minimum, but mine now runs at 30 FPS.
Quote from Sketchyrollin564 :Hm.... just bought it, just isntealled it. Tryed playing it. The loading movie lagged incredibly, and the gameplay is even worse. This is THE WORST lag ive ever experienced. Idk my full computer specs, but ive got 1 gig of ram and my computer always runs LFS flawlessly with up to 3 other programs in the back ground (multitasking).

Have you tried to unplug your wheel (if you have any)?
Had exactly the same, I almost fell off my chair when I saw the intro animations going at 1 fps... only to find out there's a well known bug with my steering wheel and TDU.
Quote from Pino :Have you tried to unplug your wheel (if you have any)?
Had exactly the same, I almost fell off my chair when I saw the intro animations going at 1 fps... only to find out there's a well known bug with my steering wheel and TDU.

Actually all USB controllers is needed to unplug by some beta testers

Also what is your full system specs Sketchyrollin564 ?

Game requires really strong CPU and GFX card too so even your system runs LFS perfectly it can be that TDU won't run so well. My system gets around 200fps in LFS and in TDU 15-20 mostly...
Thats because LFS is a Dx8 game and its system requirements are like 10000 times lower then TDU. I remember when I had a geforce 4ti 4200 and I could run LFS on full too.
to some extend yes, but Far Cry at highest details 1600x1200 is a 'fairly modern' game, running at higher framerates than TDU does in 640x480. TDU is more shader intensive but the performance seems just not optimized.
Quote from JTbo :Actually all USB controllers is needed to unplug by some beta testers

I got a USB :
Mouse
Keyboard
Wheel
Gamepad

So i might need to uplug my wheel and keyboard and stuff?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I got a USB :
Mouse
Keyboard
Wheel
Gamepad

So i might need to uplug my wheel and keyboard and stuff?

That is how I understood it, well I have USB everything too so not going to happen that I would unplug mouse and KB because some greedy company decided to put out game before it was ready

Test Drive Unlimited
(634 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG