The online racing simulator
Ways to make LFS more fun
(51 posts, started )
I think i get never tired of LFS
stil lso much combos to drive...

And the fun doesnt end..
Like others have said before, no need for a career mode, if we have so many leagues to race on. I, for example, am now racing in OLFSL and the portuguese SRP-LFS championship. I´m not a fast driver and don´t have much time to play, but this way during the week I´m training for the race in the weekend. Trying to get faster, adjusting the setup, thinking of the better strategie for the race... Besides that, I´m changing the combo I play every week, no time to get tired of racing always the same combo over and over again. So my advice is this, if you race with a clear purpose and objective, it´s much harder to get bored of LFS.
Quote from BlackSheep720 :I'm sure many people (including me), are starting to get tired of just racing around a track again and again. Even the [TC] and Carribean Cruise servers are starting to get a little old. What are some ways we can make LFS more fun while at the same time retaining the realistic physics engine and gameplay? Here are my suggestions: (What are some of your's?)

- A career mode. You can have your career with an f1, GTR, or other class race team. You can make money, climb up the rankings, basically do things that other racers do in real life. Of course, this entire mode would be online multiplayer to add to the realism of the mode. (note: for this mode to work, there would need to be more tracks. See #2)

- Add in some real life race tracks (i.e Infineon, Nurburgring). This would add to the realism and excitement of the game, and even let real life racers train and practice for races.

- Create a track (or series of tracks) with more than one path through the track. This would make the [TC] and CC servers really fun! (programming issues though?)

Well, that's all I can think of for now. If I come up with any more ideas, I'll edit them in. In the meantime, feel free to post any ideas that you have.

No, no, no !!

Lfs is fine, as it is

Hopefully the devs will avoid everything you mention, and keep Lfs as a true simulator.
Quote from danowat :Career modes do not work in simulators, GTL tried, people complained that it was a sim and things shouldn't be locked, and you shouldn't have to work to get them.

LFS is a race SIM, pure and simple, YOU make it fun, it is what it is, a medium for driving around a track, if people don't "get" that, then maybe LFS isn't for them.

I second that
#31 - JTbo
Quote from AndroidXP :No, LFS World

Yes, that or then I just used my spy equipment and physic powers, you are being watched, beware you mortal ones :leb:

I think he needs to get online bit more, no wonder he is bored if driving only off line all time, that can be unhealthy too. But of course if racing does not feel the thing, then I think it is wrong game as this is completely about racing and mostly with others.

Oh, now I remember, we just did economy driving, 5% fuel and who manages to drive longer wins, however that is not everyone's cup of tea.
I sort of agree with the first post. While I definitely wouldn't say that LFS is boring at all (had a ton of great races last night, in fact) it wouldn't hurt to be able to mix things up a bit more.

The best thing about LFS is it's realism, but that doesn't mean it has to be ONLY about racing around tracks. Not long ago there was a very long thread about soccer (football) in LFS, ala Top Gear. A lot of people, myself included, really liked this idea and Scawen even talked about what it would take to add a ball object to the game just for this purpose. Similarly, there was a recent thread about the "stunt track" in a very old pre-alpha build of LFS. I would LOVE to see something like this added to the game. Can you imagine the old game Stunts but with the excellent physics of LFS? There have been a ton of requests for uphill/downhill/togue tracks. This would be great for one-on-one racing or time trials, but would break up the monotony of racing in circles. Also, we already have a very large group of people who use LFS purely for drifting. Again, the realism and great physics is what makes this possible.

While LFS is a racing sim, I see no harm in adding a few "fun" elements to the game. At worst the racers who don't want to use them won't. At best, it could add some fun new modes to the game and increase the player base. Draw people in with the fun and variety of the game, then keep them coming back for the great racing.
#33 - JTbo
Cue-ball has good points there too, but I would think that first base has to be made solid and complete until many things would work. Collision system is perhaps biggest stop.

Tag racing had some nice touch too, with good company that is quite nice for having laughs and good time, but you really can't do that without some organizing and without good company.

Can't find now old video that Fordman did from our tag race, that was pretty good video to show what tag racing is about.
I have to agree with a couple people here. First with Forbin. League racing is a lot of fun. You get to know a lot more people on a regular basis. The racing is quite different because the races mean something and you get more of a sense of accomplishment when you finish a race and a season. I've done NAL, SCORE, SimFIA, and now League Of The Americas. In the LOTA Formula V8 Challenge, I was apprehensive about trying a car that I really didn't care for, but after 1+ seasons, I've gotten a lot better at it. That makes pick-up races even more fun. League racing is something you should check into.

Secondly, I agree with Cue Ball. It would be nice to have some different forms of racing/driving in LFS. I was really interested in doing some of the skills contests that the CRC used to have. I've done a limited amount of autocross, and that is great fun. Hell, I've even dabbed in *gasp* drifting servers for some isolated fun, at least, until I came to my senses and went back to regular racing. Forms of driving like Cops & Robbers, Sumo, Tag, Banger Racing, and just regular goofing off sessions (mainly running from cops on the city driving servers) are great ways of keeping the interest level up.

It must be working, I recently passed my 3rd year anniversary of my first race, and recently went past 100,000 miles driven.
Quote from banshee56 :Hell, I've even dabbed in *gasp* drifting servers for some isolated fun...

WHAT!!!!!

Quote :...at least, until I came to my senses and went back to regular racing.

Whew! Had me going there for a minute.
Track racing is repetitive? MEH - you need to stop playing against the AI then
Trying to go under 1:20 in the BF1 in reverse gear at Blackwood is quite fun
Here are 2 helpful suggestions that got me over many of life's hurdles...

1. Turn LFS in to a drinking game.... Everytime someone pits you have to scull

or

2. Play LFS in a Internet cafe wearing only a pair of fluffy dice

Hope it helps
Quote from tristancliffe :LFS has a career mode already.

You start of as a noob, with access to only 3 slow cars and a single track. By spending real money you get to be able to play with more cars and more tracks, but you are still a newbie. As you get better you win more races, get noticed by bigger teams, and advance through the ranks, until ultimately you're racing for the top LFS team (whoever that is), and beating the vast majority of people for the vast majority of the time.

Who needs a linear, predefined 'win this and get this' career mode when we actually have a real career mode?

Just what I was going to say. Well said
Turn LFS into Live For Managing - just run a field of AI drivers all custom named by you through all the tracks with your choice of cars, and try to support one AI racer through the season with better setups etc. to increase the chances of his\her success from the competition. Granted, it will be more luck than skill (and you have to keep track of progress yourself), but some people might get a hoot out of it.

Or maybe you can manage a group of real racers in a league. You can pay them in Jaffa cakes or something...

You start of as a noob, with access to only 3 slow cars and a single track. By spending real money you get to be able to play with more cars and more tracks, but you are still a newbie. As you get better you win more races, get noticed by bigger teams, and advance through the ranks, until ultimately you're racing for the top LFS team (whoever that is), and beating the vast majority of people for the vast majority of the time.

Who needs a linear, predefined 'win this and get this' career mode when we actually have a real career mode?

I do agree with you on this lfs has a career mode, not based on 'if you win this race you get this' but 'if you practice, then race well you get into teams and leagues'. I dont think LFS will ever get boring, there 1,000's of S2 licences racers, admitadly they are not on at the same time but still every race you have is different, against different people, people with different lines, techniques etc. You never have the same race twice.
As for "more fun" people are talking about having more things to do like time trials etc i agree, not to make LFS more fun though, i just think adding the different forms of racing would make LFS into a more rounded, more popular game with the side affect of being more fun.
If I had a Pound for every timhe theese were suggested I could suply starving children of any country with S2 licenses
Quote from Greboth :You never have the same race twice.

There it is. Gebroth just stated the essence of LFS. You never have the same race twice. Even in the same evening on the same server with the same people, you never have the same race twice. That's the beauty of racing online with real people. The racing is random. Everything that happens is unique to that particular moment. Racer X may slide out wide in turn 2 this race allowing you to pass and battle it out with racer Y, then the next race, racer X may give you an incredible side by side battle, while racer Z comes up to battle in the third race of the evening. It's all just so exhilarating. In no game have I ever been out of breath after playing. Racing in LFS, I have on numerous occasions.
Quote from Greboth :I do agree with you on this lfs has a career mode, not based on 'if you win this race you get this' but 'if you practice, then race well you get into teams and leagues'.

Well, we could always limit people to the UF1 until they've competed in at least one season of racing with it, then if they've shown promise they can have a go in the XFG, etc. Most of us would never unlock the BF1 though.
I will have 4 years of LFS coming up this july.

Just race in Leagues and try getting some hotlap ranks, that's all You need to keep going.
#47 - joen
Quote from SNOOP [Drift-Era] :It will be more fun with many real cars and some real tracks.
And it would be great to have mountain course to drift on it.

are you going to pay for the licenses of real cars and tracks?
search for real cars, tracks and mountain courses on the forum and you will see it has been discussed to death.
#48 - JTbo
Quote from joen :are you going to pay for the licenses of real cars and tracks?
search for real cars, tracks and mountain courses on the forum and you will see it has been discussed to death.

Yes and also LFS has real cars too, for example RAC. But really if real cars and tracks are what someone needs to have game enjoyable, maybe LFS is just not for those.
Quote from BlackSheep720 :[...]
- A career mode. You can have your career with an f1, GTR, or other class race team. You can make money, climb up the rankings, basically do things that other racers do in real life. Of course, this entire mode would be online multiplayer to add to the realism of the mode. (note: for this mode to work, there would need to be more tracks. See #2)
[...]

I haven't read all of this thread but I have made something similar to this using insim. I'm just waiting on Franky500 to check it out and approve it before putting it on a server.

and on top of that we now have (currently dont have actually) the stcc career mode

Ways to make LFS more fun
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG