The online racing simulator
Ways to make LFS more fun
(51 posts, started )
I'm sure many people (including me), are starting to get tired of just racing around a track again and again. Even the [TC] and Carribean Cruise servers are starting to get a little old. What are some ways we can make LFS more fun while at the same time retaining the realistic physics engine and gameplay? Here are my suggestions: (What are some of your's?)

- A career mode. You can have your career with an f1, GTR, or other class race team. You can make money, climb up the rankings, basically do things that other racers do in real life. Of course, this entire mode would be online multiplayer to add to the realism of the mode. (note: for this mode to work, there would need to be more tracks. See #2)

- Add in some real life race tracks (i.e Infineon, Nurburgring). This would add to the realism and excitement of the game, and even let real life racers train and practice for races.

- Create a track (or series of tracks) with more than one path through the track. This would make the [TC] and CC servers really fun! (programming issues though?)

Well, that's all I can think of for now. If I come up with any more ideas, I'll edit them in. In the meantime, feel free to post any ideas that you have.
#2 - JTbo
I'm not tired yet

Hmm, you have driven only bit over 2000km, you haven't won even single race, there is tracks you have not driven online and you have no single hot lap uploaded, but you are getting tired of racing around track?

I don't know really what to suggest as racing is going around track, getting faster, trying to overtake and trying to prevent from being overtaken.
Real tracks and user-made tracks are old and much-loved topics around here (a quick search in Improvement Suggestions should return a few results) :up:

As for career mode, I don't know There are lots of organised teams & leagues in existence - we practically have a careers already, it's just organised and administered by LFS racers instead of being part of the game structure. Money/credits/etc. have also been brought up and didn't seem all that popular. You'd have to have something to spend the cash on too, and that would open up the whole modding/upgrading/tuning/bodykit/fluffy dice debate, which has also been seen many times in Improvement Suggestions (threads on those topics usually flare up quickly, then die off). At the moment, the incentive for winning LFS races is simply to, well, win them Most people seem fine with that.

I'm with JTbo, I'm not tired yet and it's been nearly 4 years for me (including the S1 demo days)...
Quote from JTbo :

I'm not tired yet

Hmm, you have driven only bit over 2000km, you haven't won even single race, there is tracks you have not driven online and you have no single hot lap uploaded, but you are getting tired of racing around track?

I don't know really what to suggest as racing is going around track, getting faster, trying to overtake and trying to prevent from being overtaken.

Actually, I've driven all the tracks, just not in multiplayer. I've also had experience with all the cars, so the data you see on LFSW may not show the entire picture. I didn't say I've actually completely grown tired of racing tack. I admit, sometimes track races can be exciting and fun, but they grow a little repetitive after a while. I just think LFS would be way more exciting if they broadened their horizons in terms of gameplay/modes.
Have you ever participate in some leagues? If you are competitive enough, you should have experienced alot of fun through racing. How to overtake people, how to defense people effectively.. for sure I'm referring to clean-racing. I don't mean that you're just hot-lapping through the whole race, but if you're good, there should be some fights between you and other great racers. Personally I enjoy that.
#6 - SamH
I like the gameplay in LFS as it is, quite honestly. It's a racing simulator, and I go racing in it (when I get a bloody moment to do, anyway). There's not much that I want for, in LFS, except features that I know will be coming in S3.

I don't really want to make a big post, because (as Hankstar points out) it's all been done to death in Improvement Suggestions before, and I've participated my ass off in those discussions already. Suffice it to say that there's not really much point in suggesting that the best online racing simulator should change direction, away from racing. The STCC system offers a pretty decent career mode (although it's only the first incarnation of the system so far), and others are working on, and deploying, others. If you want more structure then consider joining a league, etc.

There, I went and made a big post anyway. Curse my verbosity!
Yup, almost 2 years for me (next year). I do get tired of it, mainly because there are so few racing in the US, and even fewer veterans. Sometimes I find myself on a server with more total laps then the 10 other racers combined, LOL. Every now and then I mix it up for a month or so and do something different. I'll go flight sim for a while, or now I have hockey so I can play that. Lately since Christmas, it was the Caribbean server. But I started heading back out on the racing servers again the other day. I started running on the STCC servers, not so much for the licensing, but for XFG/XRG racing, as I was pretty much an FZR runner since S2 was released. I really don't like the TBO class, and you never see the LFR being used much. There just isn't much out there to pick from. Still, I find myself in front of the computer thinking I'll do some flying, and always seem to connect the wheel up and start LFS.

BlackSheep720, you've only been around 3 months. If you are bored with LFS in 3 months, then perhaps you just aren't as much as an enthusiast as most of us here. Hunt for a league and try that. It is a real blast when you run scheduled long races with practicing all week, qualifying, then race on the weekend or what ever day.
Quote from JTbo :I'm not tired yet

So how exactly do you know this about him? Stalker?

Anyways, heres what me and the partially immature demo crew (nobodys ever on S1) do for fun.

COPS AND ROBBERS!: A lot of times, in this one specific server that i go in alot, because the people that hang out there are really cool. Well, somtimes we like to mess around a little, so we created a little game; cops and robbers.

Whoever wants to be a cop must paint there car ALL blue, in order to be a cop. Before the game starts, the cops meet at the "station", which is behind the pits.

Whoever wants to be a robber must paint their car ALL green, in order to be recognized as a robber. If you dont paint your car green, and you claim to be in the game, nobody will pay attention to you. Robbers do not meet before the game, but they have a minute to either just drive around, or hide.

Rules: In order to be considered "arrested", your car must be either completley totaled, flipped, or a cop, or team of cops has your car pinned completley still for 5 or more seconds. Or you could just be nice and surrender. Once you are arrested, you join the "dark side", and become a cop. After everyones arrested, the teams switch. So everyone who was ORIGIONALY a cop, is now a robber, and vice versa. Robbers are NOT allowed to pit. Period.

Whats fun is being a cop, and having 3 other cops next to you, chasing down one guy. P.I.T. Manuvers, and road blocks, etc. Its all allowed, and its all fun. You can call for backup, and give your location, etc.

Robbers can always gain a distance from the cops, and turn around and head the other way, but that takes a lot of skill, and timing. Robbers can also work as a team, to loose the cops. Example: One cop chasing a group of 3 robbers. One robber just stops, the other one slows down drasticly, then turns around, and the other one stops, and waits for the cop to turn around, and then take off in the same direction.

Anyways, i think i explained a little too much, but if you play with the right people, well... as stupid as it sounds, its actualy really fun.
Some of the most exciting racing occurs in organized leagues, and you really haven't experienced LFS until you've participated in one. Drivers spend as much as a week preparing for the next race, so when the time comes, everyone is, for the most part, at the best of their ability. They are all run essentially like a professional racing series.

http://www.lfs-lota.net/
LOTA (League of the Americas) is one league that you may find interesting. It currently runs 2 cars in 2 separate leagues: the Formula V8 and Formula XR. Every week there is a new track and the full race lasts about 45 minutes. Even in the relatively difficult to drive FO8, the racing can be quite close.

http://www.simfia.com/forum/index.php
SimFIA also runs a North American DTM series. The cars available are the XR GTR and FXO GTR. As with LOTA (and pretty much all other leagues), the track changes with each week. Races last about an hour.
Join a league - a 'real' career mode really.
The drive around servers are a sort of novelty, but not much fun at all. There are better games to do those sort of things; LFS just doesn't have the features necessary to make that gameplay fun.
It's almost the perfect example of "just driving around" fastidiousness. Especially when the players on the server do only that, sort of like they're playing SecondLife or something. You play games like LFS to do what you can't do in real life, not to have some netcop get on your case..
Adding just open city streets would be a major improvement, but given LFS' priorities and development resources, it's not likely to happen soon.

I'd say ballast would be the one smallest, most effective improvement... it'd fix the classes, which needs only a well organised server setup to make for consistently great racing, like STCC does.

Considering how busy the devs are, I think a more complete LFSTweak would take care of the lack of new cars.. it's really the best solution for the situation LFS is in.
If we could change all the old Tweak parameters or more, and the suspension types, we could have some great "new" car classes to race.

LFS is about racing, and it does it great.. Scavier know it and are on the right track.
LFS isn't fun? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED...............
Quote from danowat :LFS isn't fun? WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED...............

I didn't get that memo either.
Don't forget the "D" word, thats a whole other thing to do in LFS ...
just put some racing equipment on \o/
Attached images
IMG_0683.jpg
#17 - Gunn
Live For Speed is a racing sim. If a person doesn't enjoy racing around race tracks then this isn't the game for them.

One of things that most appeals to me about LFS is that it doesn't include arcade elements. Racing online is what LFS is designed for.
This is strange - i just passed 200000 km line and i'm not bored at all..i want more..

Quote from Gunn :Live For Speed is a racing sim. If a person doesn't enjoy racing around race tracks then this isn't the game for them.

Well I agree with the idea of a career mode, but I'm not sure how much it'd actually add to the game. For a start, I'm sure it's been mentioned as something in the works, but obviously with the AI the way it is, that's not really possible. When that's sorted I guess it might be included.
Right now I think the only reason to add this would be to give the people who suck (like me) a way to actually win some races

Real tracks have been discussed before, I'm not going to comment on that one. I've never driven the Ring, so I have nothing to compare with the sim. Likewise I've never driven a McLaren F1 so I couldn't tell if a game version is accurate or not.

Third point has definitely been discussed before. Apparently can't be added because of the way the AI is trained to drive or something.
Career modes do not work in simulators, GTL tried, people complained that it was a sim and things shouldn't be locked, and you shouldn't have to work to get them.

LFS is a race SIM, pure and simple, YOU make it fun, it is what it is, a medium for driving around a track, if people don't "get" that, then maybe LFS isn't for them.
Huh?

Seeing that you have driven over 20 laps only on 2 of the hundreds of possible combos, and yet stating the game boring - I'm terribly sorry for what you've wasted your money.

I don't think that any kind of role playing elements will ever work. The 'nonsense' servers may entertain you for a day, or a week if you have really flying or doped imagination, but after some time they all collapse, while the racers still go round the same track - which this game is all about.

Go buy a WoW. Or Sims. Or a house of dolls.
You're all wrong... Scavier need a contract with EA, ASAP.
LFS has a career mode already.

You start of as a noob, with access to only 3 slow cars and a single track. By spending real money you get to be able to play with more cars and more tracks, but you are still a newbie. As you get better you win more races, get noticed by bigger teams, and advance through the ranks, until ultimately you're racing for the top LFS team (whoever that is), and beating the vast majority of people for the vast majority of the time.

Who needs a linear, predefined 'win this and get this' career mode when we actually have a real career mode?
Quote from Breizh :You're all wrong... Scavier need a contract with EA, ASAP.

This is so wrong that it literally hurts
Quote from BlackSheep720 :Actually, I've driven all the tracks, just not in multiplayer.

well theres your problem...

lets not fix something that isn't broken.

(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG