The online racing simulator
Snow!
(105 posts, started )
Nothing yet here in York, but it's still cold as a witch's tit. Brr!
no snow here either
There is snow here, not too much, but there is
schools are open, wouldn't matter to me though
Quote from seggons :For all those that haven't got snow then make your own:

http://snowflakes.barkleyus.com/

WOW, that's awsome

Just been outside building a snow man with my little brother. Still snowing pretty heavy here, will post some pics later.

Matt
Hahahahhaaahhaaaa :biggrinfl:biggrinfl:biggrinfl
You are so funny, school closed, hilarious...And temperatures, well, we had -33 degrees yesterday, and now it seems to be around minus 24.
Isn't snowing and the sun is shining, so it's a nice weather

A picture I took from backyard few minutes a go, that's snow for you!
Attached images
IMG_3718b.jpg
It's been around -31 to -26 while walking to work for the past couple of days. People jogging, going to school, not much of a hassle except our national railroads are in chaos causing much grief to business travelers.
Quote from Blackout :Hahahahhaaahhaaaa :biggrinfl:biggrinfl:biggrinfl
You are so funny, school closed, hilarious...And temperatures, well, we had -33 degrees yesterday, and now it seems to be around minus 24.
Isn't snowing and the sun is shining, so it's a nice weather

A picture I took from backyard few minutes a go, that's snow for you!

i want your snow
Yup, a good few inches of snow and the UK grinds to a halt. Why? Don't know, but I get a day off college so it's all good.
Quote from RevengeR :i want your snow

Me too! Me too!

Its a national joke the way everything stops at the mildest disruption in Britain... But secretly, I like it that way. Everything should stop. It should be illegal to even try to get into work! Why on earth would you want to work on one of the few days of the year when a cold, white, free toy falls from the sky?
#37 - mr_x
Quote from TiJay :Yup, a good few inches of snow and the UK grinds to a halt. Why? Don't know, but I get a day off college so it's all good.

wrong:

the southern half of the UK grinds to a halt!

there's a fair bit of snow here in the North East (between Newcastle and Durham just at the bottom of the Pennines) yet everything is still moving and all schools are still open.
London is impossible even with this amount of snow. I don't consider this a problem.

This is my old villages website describing 'proper' snowfall, although the pictures don't really do it justice. Up at our house we could step out of our upstairs window onto the snow. The car was totally buried overnight. That's snow
York Snow Update: It's still not snowing in York.

OK I lied, it has been snowing in York for about an hour.

Not that it matters to any of you lot...
Quote from nihil :Me too! Me too!

Its a national joke the way everything stops at the mildest disruption in Britain... But secretly, I like it that way. Everything should stop. It should be illegal to even try to get into work! Why on earth would you want to work on one of the few days of the year when a cold, white, free toy falls from the sky?

To get paid ?

Edit:

Quote from mr_x :wrong:

the southern half of the UK grinds to a halt!

there's a fair bit of snow here in the North East (between Newcastle and Durham just at the bottom of the Pennines) yet everything is still moving and all schools are still open.

You just reminded me of this...

50 DEGREES
Southerners turn on the heating.
People in Newcastle plant their gardens.

40 DEGREES
Southerners shiver uncontrollably.
People in Newcastle sunbathe.

35 DEGREES
Southern cars will not start.
People in Newcastle drive with the windows down.

20 DEGREES
Southerners wear coats, gloves and wool hats.
People in Newcastle throw on a T-shirt (girls start wearing mini skirts.)

15 DEGREES
Southerners begin to evacuate.
People in Newcastle go swimming in the North Sea.

ZERO DEGREES
Southern landlords turn up the heat.
People in Newcastle have the last barbecue before it gets cold.

MINUS 10 DEGREES
Southerners cease to exist.
People in Newcastle throw on a lightweight jacket.

MINUS 80 DEGREES
Polar bears wonder if it's worth it.
Boy scouts in Newcastle start wearing long trousers.

MINUS 100 DEGREES
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
People in Newcastle put on their long johns.

MINUS 173 DEGREES
Alcohol freezes.
People in Newcastle become frustrated because the pubs are shut.

MINUS 297 DEGREES
Microbial life starts to disappear.
The cows on Newcastle Town Moor complain about vets with cold hands.

MINUS 460 DEGREES
All atomic motion stops.
People in Newcastle start to stamp their feet and blow on their hands.

MINUS 500 DEGREES
Hell freezes over.
Sunderland qualify for Europe.

Quote from Bean0 :To get paid ?

Come on... Throw a sickie... You know you want to.
#42 - mr_x
Quote from Bean0 :To get paid ?

You just reminded me of this...

50 DEGREES
Southerners turn on the heating.
People in Newcastle plant their gardens.

40 DEGREES
Southerners shiver uncontrollably.
People in Newcastle sunbathe.

35 DEGREES
Southern cars will not start.
People in Newcastle drive with the windows down.

20 DEGREES
Southerners wear coats, gloves and wool hats.
People in Newcastle throw on a T-shirt (girls start wearing mini skirts.)

15 DEGREES
Southerners begin to evacuate.
People in Newcastle go swimming in the North Sea.

ZERO DEGREES
Southern landlords turn up the heat.
People in Newcastle have the last barbecue before it gets cold.

MINUS 10 DEGREES
Southerners cease to exist.
People in Newcastle throw on a lightweight jacket.

MINUS 80 DEGREES
Polar bears wonder if it's worth it.
Boy scouts in Newcastle start wearing long trousers.

MINUS 100 DEGREES
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
People in Newcastle put on their long johns.

MINUS 173 DEGREES
Alcohol freezes.
People in Newcastle become frustrated because the pubs are shut.

MINUS 297 DEGREES
Microbial life starts to disappear.
The cows on Newcastle Town Moor complain about vets with cold hands.

MINUS 460 DEGREES
All atomic motion stops.
People in Newcastle start to stamp their feet and blow on their hands.

MINUS 500 DEGREES
Hell freezes over.
Sunderland qualify for Europe.

that's excellent, and true, to a certain extent... Sunderland will never qualify for Europe or at least until hell freezes over :P
Quote from nihil :Come on... Throw a sickie... You know you want to.

I'd rather save my sickies for the summer, when I can get out on my bike while everyone is at work
Quote from danowat :I'd rather save my sickies for the summer, when I can get out on my bike while everyone is at work

Ah. Now that's a strategy I understand...
Once again I was lied to by the weather. I've not seen snow for so long it can legally be declared dead.
I was taken a bit back by some of you stating the -20 and below temperatures. But then I smacked myself in the head realizing it was Celcius, LOL. -20 to -30 is what? around -5 to -10 F? Yea, it's still cold, but obviously not what I was originally gaping my mouth over, LOL. The last couple of days around here (Western Pennsylvania, US) it has been below 0 F (around the-15 to -20C mark). Schools have been closing because of the cold.

About the snow, I can see where if you don't get a lot of snow normally, that 2 inches would be room to be cautious. Around where I am, a good snowstorm is typically 8-10 inches, and over 10 is a REALLY good snowstorm. Anything below 6 inches is really just a bit of snow. We normally start to see snow in November and snow season lasts until February. It can easily snow in March and we have had our biggest in recent history, "the blizzard of 93" with 24 inches of snow IIRC in April. (Is 1993 still recent history? LOL)

The worst part is, every year, people around here completely forget how do drive when it's snowing. If snow starts in November, it takes clear til February before people become "comfortable" with being able to drive in the snow. This year is particularly bad because we had very mild temperatures and all it did was rain until half way through January. Now we had a period of a week where we got a total of maybe 8 inches of snow, it hasn't snowed for about 2 weeks now, and people are still driving 20 mph on 55 mph roads. Of course these are also the people in the typical big gas guzzling full size 4wheel drive pickup trucks and SUV's. And there I am passing 3 to 4 cars at a time in my little ole Altima on the horribly slippery DRY FREAKIN ROADS!!!! People need to open up their eyes and see what it is like out there rather than hearing on TV there might be snow and basing their driving only on speculation.

I love the snow. I love playing in it with the kids and I love driving in it. There's nothing like bundling up and getting in the car and driving with the windows down, the heater blower off, and the radio off and driving on freshly laid 6 inches of snow. I love the quietness of driving on fresh snow with no tire noise. It just sounds so cool.

I blame the media with all the exploitation they do now with the weather. Like I said, 4-6 inch snowstorms are normal snowfalls here through at least 3 months of winter and the news plasters "Winter weather advisory!!!" all over the TV when we are expecting as little as a half inch putting everyone in a panic.
People who cannot drive in snow remind me of this.
Quote from traxxion :Where in Holland are you then? It's snowing like mad here!

Elburg. It's been snowing here too, for almost one hour.
Some pics...
Attached images
Back Garden.JPG
Bob!.JPG
Front.JPG
My Car.JPG
Quote from mrodgers :It can easily snow in March and we have had our biggest in recent history, "the blizzard of 93" with 24 inches of snow IIRC in April. (Is 1993 still recent history? LOL)

April? Wow.

I was over there for the "blizzard of '96" - I think that was about 25-30 inches over two days. I remember there was so much snow they couldn't even get ploughs down the streets of Philly - they had to fill trucks with it and go dump it somewhere!

The town I was living in at the time (at the shore) was mostly unoccupied summer homes in January, so nobody bothered to dig them out. Whole streets of houses just disappeared under the snow for days. Luckily me and my girlfriend had quite a lot of recreational compounds in the freezer and a couple of cases of wine so we didn't mind being snowed in one bit.

Snow!
(105 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG