The online racing simulator
Let's get Anal
(96 posts, started )
Quote from Bladerunner :I only read as far as this before deciding that if you wish to correct people, then it would make sense to offer CORRECT examples!

Joshs thread sucks - Joshs' thread sucks
Scawens code is great - Scawens' code is great

The examples that you offered stated that:

"Josh is thread sucks"
and
"Scawen is code is great"

The original examples are correct. The sentence's subject is "Scawen" and the topic is "code", and since the code belongs to Scawen "Scawen's code..." is correct.
Quote from mikey_G :whats a community without grammar nazi's

btw, i saw 1 typo in your post josh

As I said, I do make many mistakes myself and the objective of this thread is to help other people. If you, yourself would like to do something helpful, maybe you could tell me where my mistake is.

Josh
Quote from axus :I would of done it differently - I would have done it differently.

It's a great day - Its a great day.
["It's" indicates something belonging to an "it", "its" is a short way of saying "it is"]

My parents car broke down / My parent's car broke down - My parents' car broke down.
Alex's shoes are nice - Alex' shoes are nice
Charles's pretty pink dress looks nice on him - Charles' pretty pink dress looks nice on him.
(no particular Charles in mind... *cough* <.<)

Radiuses - Radii
Octopi - Octopuses
[Technically octopi is acceptable too but octopuses is the form you should be using; English is not Latin.]

"It's a great day" is actually correct, not incorrect. This is because "It's" is context sensitive and in this particular case is an abbreviation of "It is" (i.e. "It is a great day") instead of referring to possession.

On the topic of "octopus":
http://www.askoxford.com/askth ... utgrammar/plurals?view=uk
Lol, that was after I made my post, too :P hehe
#55 - axus
Quote from NotAnIllusion :"It's a great day" is actually correct, not incorrect. This is because "It's" is context sensitive and in this particular case is an abbreviation of "It is" (i.e. "It is a great day") instead of referring to possession.

Nope - I had it the wrong way around though so thanks for raising the issue. See my original post for sources. "It's" = "It is" or "It has" - it is context sensitive in that respect; "Its" indicates posession to an it much like "his", "hers", "ours", etc. However, you'll rarely (rearly) see "its" being used seeing (seing) as few things belong to an object and even if they do, you don't need to refer to them in that way. However, an example would be:
The plane crashed because its wings fell off.
Quote from axus :Nope - I had it the wrong way around though so thanks for raising the issue. See my original post for sources. "It's" = "It is" or "It has" - it is context sensitive in that respect; "Its" indicates posession to an it much like "his", "hers", "ours", etc. However, you'll rarely (rearly) see "its" being used seeing (seing) as few things belong to an object and even if they do, you don't need to refer to them in that way. However, an example would be:
The plane crashed because its wings fell off.

Whee Aye, thine reasoning be good and true, I saw all but it!
I didn't see this one in here. It can be very funny to Americans who don't know what it is in the UK...

Fag - Cigarette
(a cigarette in the UK - a homosexual, though slang, in the US)

"BRB, I need a fag break," means something completely different when you guys are speaking to an American, LOL.
That musta been one crappy plane.

That reminds me... Is it 'aeroplane,' or 'airplane?'
Quote from mrodgers :I didn't see this one in here. It can be very funny to Americans who don't know what it is in the UK...

Fag - Cigarette
(a cigarette in the UK - a homosexual, though slang, in the US)

"BRB, I need a fag break," means something completely different when you guys are speaking to an American, LOL.

There was a story some time ago about a US guy visiting London, UK some years ago. A guy walks up to him and a says;
"Hey, bum a fag, mate?"
[= can i borrow a cigarette?]
The tourist ran a mile.
Quote from al heeley :"Hey, bum a fag, mate?"
[= can i borrow a cigarette?]
The tourist ran a mile.

E3 : The third time I fell foul of the 60 second timer - please make it 40
How can you borrow a cigarrette anyway, unless you're not intending to incinerate it?
Take their name and address, and send them a replacement cigarette when you're feeling a bit less pikey.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :You mean the rule which states (paraphrased) "'i' before 'e' except immediately after a 'c'"?

E.g.: receive, receipt, siesta etc.

I before E except after C. Except for neighbour and weight, unless it's just weird. Damn odd rule, which isn't really a rule as it has so many exceptions to it.

My Grammer is Gooder.

Quote from Bob Smith :How can you borrow a cigarrette anyway, unless you're not intending to incinerate it?

That has always bothered me, such as people who you have no idea who they are ask if they can loan X ammount of money to do what ever, it isn't like you're going to ever see them again so it's not really a loan, it is more a case of "can I have X ammount of money", though asking for money is illegal in the UK (maybe the same for other countries), but loaning isn't, so I guess it's the whole loop hole deal.
Quote from joshdifabio :They're is a website - There is a website
[They're is an abbreviation of 'they are'. Their indicates that something belongs to a group or individual.]

"They are is a web site" isn't quite right

"They're going to race" or similar would be a better example.

Regards,

Ian
#66 - aoun
so why would i want to get anal? =) wanna use a different word!!!
Most disturbing thread title ever... I still wonder why I clicked on it.
#68 - joen
Just wondering, which is more correct, "licensed" or "licenced"?
It always thought "licensed" is correct, but I often see "licenced" as well (for instance on the STCC sigs).
#69 - aoun
lol yeh battery, why did you click it? looking for something special? all i see is gramma lmao
#70 - joen
lol, I read "gramma" as "grandma"....which makes it even more disturbing...
uhm nevermind me
Quote from Ian.H :"They are is a web site" isn't quite right

"They're going to race" or similar would be a better example.

Regards,

Ian

I know it's not right, it's not supposed to be... left is incorrect, right is correct.

Josh
Quote from joen :Just wondering, which is more correct, "licensed" or "licenced"?
It always thought "licensed" is correct, but I often see "licenced" as well (for instance on the STCC sigs).

Licence is English, License is American.

Edit: regarding the thread title; I just thought this would get the most views hehe.

Josh
hmm...

maybe all this English-American things may come handy at tests

i.e.
-why is this incorrect?
=well, it's wrong written it must be tyre
-but I've written it the American way...
=Oh, ok.

Thanks
Hi. I'm sorry but you've got it all wrong...

I dont no

I don't no

I don't know

I dunno

can not

cannot

can't

will not

won't

ain't

you guys

mates

fellows..... (WTF FELLOWS??? sounds more like fellows)

y'all

And of course

English

American

Australian

Canadian

New Zealander

Texan

Hope that clears a few things up for y'all

I'm surpirsed no-one has pointed this out yet. It's 'developer' not 'develepor', Josh - correct that first post!

Let's get Anal
(96 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG