are sadly the ones
least likely to ever bother
about such stuff.
Quote from george_tsiros :YEAH BABY YEAH

Pcs
are expensive.

PC's are expensive.

PCs are expensive.

When using acronyms you may only write them in capitals, so that the plural, plural possesive and singular possesive forms can be accurately identified.

'ACRONYM' < an acronym.

ACRONYM's < plural : i have many CD's. <- NO. NEVER.

ACRONYMs < plural :
i have many CDs.
My CDs are destroyed.
I have lost many CDs.
ACRONYM's < possesive:
My PC's graphics card is fast.
The CD's capacity is 700MB.
ACRONYMs' < PLURAL possesive
All of my PCs' CPUs are AMD's XPs.

This is something I agree with 100%. I didn't add it, however, as I wasn't certain but I will do now .

Thanks, Josh
Quote from al heeley :Good thread? No.
The sort of people
who need this information
are sadly the ones
least likely to ever bother
about such stuff.

Good post? No.

While that may be true in some cases, it certainly is not all the time. I, myself, didn't know many of the corrections that I have posted here a year or two ago, and am always willing to improve my grammar and spelling, as are many people.

Josh
Quote from joshdifabio :[Apostrophes should be used to indicate when a letter or letters are omitted from a word, or when something is posessed by someone or something else. They should not be used just because a word is plural and ends with an s!]

agreed yet i tend not to use them simply to type faster

Quote :[Too can be used to replace 'as well' or 'very', there are also other uses of the word.]

in 10/10 cases its a typo

btw you should add the rules for ie and ei ... took me years to get weird reight (being german doesnt help at all with this) and i still dont reayll get the rule

oh and btw ... buttsecks
On the topic of acronyms, initialism and abbreviations:

HIV, AIDS, till, Coke, OMG, WTF, LOL; are they abbreviations, acronyms, initialism, all the aforementioneds or what? The difference is quite "anal" indeed, as can be discovered by reading the article linked below.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/asye.htm
posessed - possessed
Quote from NotAnIllusion :On the topic of acronyms, initialism and abbreviations:

HIV, AIDS, till, Coke, OMG, WTF, LOL; are they abbreviations, acronyms, abbreviations, all the aforementioneds or what? The difference is quite "anal" indeed, as can be discovered by reading the article linked below.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/asye.htm

Very interesting, thanks for that.
Quote from Shotglass :agreed yet i tend not to use them simply to type faster

in 10/10 cases its a typo

btw you should add the rules for ie and ei ... took me years to get weird reight (being german doesnt help at all with this) and i still dont reayll get the rule

oh and btw ... buttsecks

You mean the rule which states (paraphrased) "'i' before 'e' except immediately after a 'c'"?

E.g.: receive, receipt, siesta etc.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :You mean the rule which states (paraphrased) "'i' before 'e' except immediately after a 'c'"?

E.g.: receive, receipt, siesta etc.

Unfortunately, however, there are exceptions to ever rule in this language . Such as 'weird' as shotglass said.
Quote from joshdifabio :Unfortunately, however, there are exceptions to ever rule in this language . Such as 'weird' as shotglass said.

Indeed, "heinous" also fails to satisfy the rule. I was merely quoting the rule for reference .
Quote from herki :Oh, just remembered a very common mistake: Forgetting the "s" after he/she/it or the "n" of "a" (e.g. "a elephant" instead of "an elephant")

I dont no these ppl who cant speel or even type good gramatics lol.
^^^Yes that was a piss take
Assume it was just a spelling mistake but i thought it was almost ironic. It is bad when people who speak native english spell words incorrect and get their grammer wrong. I don't mind it so much in people where english isn't their native tongue. As for don't, can't, havn't . . etc. it is probably best not to use them as it seems to not translate well especially through online translators.
Quote from NotAnIllusion :Indeed, "heinous" also fails to satisfy the rule. I was merely quoting the rule for reference .

Are you natively Finnish or English?
I have to say, only the spell checker that came with FF 2.0 made me notice errors like "alot" and "atleast". It never occurred to me that they were wrong in the first place, probably because it sounds like they should be one word when you speak them out loud, well at least for me it does.

However, what gets me every time is replacing 've with of. Or people whose first language is English, yet cannot be bothered to at least try writing something remotely coherent. Arrrrghljksf
All of you probably know that the commonly accepted abbreviation of "will not" is "won't", but off your head, how many know why the short form is not "win't", and what "won't" actually means?

The abbreviation "won't" actually means "woll not". "Woll" is an older spelling of the word "will".
You should note the the words "It's" and "Its" are.. uhm... unconventional?

Unlike other apostrphed words, "It's" does not indicate posession. It is a conjunction of "It is." The form "Its" indicates something in the possession of "It."

That's an error a lot of people make
whats a community without grammar nazi's

btw, i saw 1 typo in your post josh
Quote from mikey_G :whats a community without grammar nazi's

btw, i saw 1 typo in your post josh

omg u used 's 4 plural its not nazi's its nazis :o
NotAnIllusion- Are you a teacher or something man? Because you know of this.
Quote from joshdifabio :

Common grammatical mistakes; red is incorrect, green is correct!

Joshs thread sucks - Josh's thread sucks
Scawens code is great - Scawen's code is great

I only read as far as this before deciding that if you wish to correct people, then it would make sense to offer CORRECT examples!

Joshs thread sucks - Joshs' thread sucks
Scawens code is great - Scawens' code is great

The examples that you offered stated that:

"Josh is thread sucks"
and
"Scawen is code is great"
#47 - SamH
Quote from george_tsiros :i have many CD's. <- NO. NEVER.

ALMOST never

My CD's got a scratch on it.

Shouldn't of - Shouldn't have

Shouldn't've - ?

If you really want to get anal, you put things into boxes, but you can't put the boxes onto the table. It's on to. Having said that, 60 years ago there was no such word as "today". It was "to day", or "to-day".

I have to agree with Al, and others, that point out that those people who REALLY need to soak up the information contained within, never will do so. I have always been very impressed indeed at the language level of non-native English speakers on the LFS forum, though, and I'm inspired by their determination to perfect their command of the English language.
#48 - axus
I would of done it differently - I would have done it differently.

Its a great day - It's a great day.
["Its" indicates something belonging to an "it", "it's" is a short way of saying "it is" or "it has"]
EDIT: I had the above the wrong way around, sorry.
Sources:
http://www.fred.net/kathy/its.html
http://editingpublishing.suite101.com/blog.cfm/356

My parents car broke down / My parent's car broke down - My parents' car broke down.
Alex's shoes are nice - Alex' shoes are nice
Charles's pretty pink dress looks nice on him - Charles' pretty pink dress looks nice on him.
(no particular Charles in mind... *cough* <.<)

Radiuses - Radii
Octopi - Octopuses
[Technically octopi is acceptable too but octopuses is the form you should be using; English is not Latin.]

EDIT:

His having a bad day - He's having a bad day.
He's car is really kool - His car is really cool.
#49 - axus
Quote from Bladerunner :Scawens code is great - Scawens' code is great

There's more than one Scawen! SWEET!

No, no, you are wrong here.
"Scawen's code is great" implies there is one Scawen and his code is great.
"Scawens' code is great" implies that there are many Scawens and their code is great.

EDIT: The apostrophe's meaning is dependent on what comes after it. If it is an adjective or verb then it would mean " is ". If its a noun, it indicates possession.
Quote from Bladerunner :I only read as far as this before deciding that if you wish to correct people, then it would make sense to offer CORRECT examples!

Joshs thread sucks - Joshs' thread sucks
Scawens code is great - Scawens' code is great

The examples that you offered stated that:

"Josh is thread sucks"
and
"Scawen is code is great"

I believe my examples are correct, what you have written is most certainly wrong. This thread belongs to me and Scawen's code belongs to him so they should be Josh's thread and Scawen's code.

Surely you learnt this at primary school?

Let's get Anal
(96 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG