The online racing simulator
G25 Pedal Mod with Chair Restraint
After seeing the idea in this thread http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=13841 thanks shrubba

I decided to top mount the pedals as i was having difficultly with heel/toeing.

Very simple to do , can even be but back to standard set up and no one would know.

Remove the two 4mm hex bolts from each pedal face (to later allow the arms to come out of the case)

Remove screws from the underside of the pedals as shown by the arrows.

Two screws are hidden behind the carpet gripper.

Flip the pedals back onto their base and remove the top pedal casing being careful with the cable

Take out the 2 screws that secure the cable.

Flip the pedals face down and remove the 4 bolts that secure each pedal onto the base

The individual pedals can now be mounted using the 2 M6 threaded fixing points and the pedal faces can fixed back on upside down with the 4mm hex bolts

The frame was made from leftover 18mm MDF .
4 screws holding the back board to the sides so you can remove the top screws to change the angle of the backboard.

Backboard was that big because the piece of mdf was that size when i found it! (Back 460mm wide x 600mm could be 400 Sides 400m wide x 270mm high )

Hold the pedals onto the back board , mark the positions of the threaded fixing points and drill 6mm holes.
Using M6 bolts and washers from the rear fix the pedals onto the back board.

You can move the pedals and keep drilling holes until the position is correct for your sitting position.
I packed out the brake pedal 36mm from the back board ,so when the brake pedal is fully depressed it's nearly level with the throttle.Could do same to clutch.

For neatness you can remove the spade connectors and ground from the pedals, drill a hole next to the pedal and feed the wires through from the rear and reconnect .Fix the cable to the board using the original strap and cable grommet so you don't pull out any wires.

I found that with the new pedal position that my office chair on castor's was rolling away due to a more horizontal force needed to push the pedal.

Cut out a piece to all the unit to sit further under my desk

The front castor's of the chair sit in front of the bar

Very simple made from 45 x 12 , 2 lengths @ 550mm for the legs , 3 pieces @ 460 for strength for the bar. Fixed with a bolt on each leg to the frame so can pivot vertically out of the way when not in use
Awsome
#3 - mcman
Quote from Turbo Dad :The individual pedals can now be mounted using the 2 M5 threaded fixing points

The mounting holes are M6X1, not M5. Very cool install!
#4 - HVS5b
Lol, nice one fella

Lets hope it improves your times (but not by too much )
hey turbodad, great work there. Im planning the same thing so I'd really like to know the angle of the pedals and the distances of the pedals. Are they based on a car, or is this your personal preference?
Last but not least, how is the driving? Less cramp? Better heel & toe? And when you drive in conedodgers do you drive without any driving aids?

Sorry for the amount of questions, just curious
you guys doing a great work, but why the heck not using a real car seat?
Why not just mount the pedal set into a surround which fits round your chairs base, no disassembly of pedal and warrenty stays in tact....

But great work!
Have you noticed that the pedal mount has been switched around? They're now top-mounted instead of the default bottom-mount. Just flipping the pedal base would mirror the pedal arrangement, so the throttle would be on the left side, etc.
Quote from Thorvertonian :Why not just mount the pedal set into a surround which fits round your chairs base, no disassembly of pedal and warrenty stays in tact....

But great work!

When I got my Momo replaced they didn't want anything more than the serial code off the current one... Still got that other wheel and pedals kicking around. Not to mention the warranty had expired a good year and a half ago when I asked for a replacement

Quote : you guys doing a great work, but why the heck not using a real car seat?

Well considering he made this out of some MDF at probably little cost... A race seat would cost probably £200+ from some of the prices I've seen.
Quote from Hyperactive :Not really: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=1840

Thanks for the link, that chair looks awesome. Never thought it could be so simple, just getting a chair and welding it on a old office chair, or even putting it on wood.
I'll surely go to a scrapyard and get a nice seat for myself. This together with the pedal mod is gonna be awesome. Only thing left to mod is the gear shifter
Quote from keiran :Well considering he made this out of some MDF at probably little cost... A race seat would cost probably £200+ from some of the prices I've seen.

What? You go to a old car storage and look for a still good car seat, you buy it for mybe 20-30€. You put the seat on a plate (wood, metal) and something for the wheel. It's a bit work but all together it will not cost more than 100€ I would say.
Quote from tomylee :What? You go to a old car storage and look for a still good car seat, you buy it for mybe 20-30€. You put the seat on a plate (wood, metal) and something for the wheel. It's a bit work but all together it will not cost more than 100€ I would say.

If I'm getting you your talking about buying a car seat rather than a proper race seat so kind of beats the point as all the cars in LFS would be fitted with a proper racing seat of some standard...

@Hyperactive
Your seat isn't exaclty a racing seat like I was comparing prices to...

My main point is it was a rather strange outburst from tomylee. MDF costs peanuts (we've got lots of the stuff for free!) compared to a racing seat. It's like me saying to him that if he has a wheel then he should have a cockpit...

I have no idea the cheapest sort of racing seat you could get is but all I'm saying from the prices I've seen for proper ones they can be £200+ Some of the tillet seats are £400+.

Keiran
I think a normal car's seat is better than a real race car's seat, more comfortable and has adjustments. The racing seats are usually made from one piece, no back rest adjustments at all and not really suitable for use with office desks because the seat is more shaped like to sit inside it, instead of sitting on it. And you don't need that extra padding or side protection at all, so why to pay for it

I'm 100% happy with my seat. No ass aches at all, even if I sit all day on it . Well worth the 30€ or so I spent
my pc setup is different now.but im still using my trusty old nissan micra seat.
it came from a mates car that he was scrapping. i reckon one similar from a scrappy would set you back 20 - 40 quid........

and after sitting in a normal computer seat i wouldnt swap it for anything.

go for the car seat.......you will love it!
Attached images
the micra seat.jpg
Quote from mikey_G :.. I'd really like to know the angle of the pedals and the distances of the pedals. Are they based on a car, or is this your personal preference?Last but not least, how is the driving? Less cramp? Better heel & toe? And when you drive in conedodgers do you drive without any driving aids?

I planned to model my impreza but it was pissing down when i went to measure up .Trying to measure levels and angles inside the footwell while kneeling outside in the rain wasnt appealing!So i just tried what looked right .Much better heal/toe , the main reason for changing ,much more natural than pushing down like a fork lift truck .I bottled out at Conedodgers using manual clutch and H shifter as i got the wheel a couple of days before the season started.Been trying the slower cars with clutch and h shift as you have more time under braking to heel /toe
Quote from tomylee :you guys doing a great work, but why the heck not using a real car seat?

I actually do work from the office not just play games , so need the office chair for working

Quote from Thorvertonian :Why not just mount the pedal set into a surround which fits round your chairs base, no disassembly of pedal and warrenty stays in tact....

As android said, so i could top mount them like a car.You could mount the original setup on similar kind of mdf base but you would have to change the pedal faces and springs around between pedals because of the different strengths.And the spacing will still be all wrong , im sure they are set up like that out the box because its a compromise so you can use 2 pedals at once or switch to 3.
In my car the brake is much closer to the accel making it quite hard to get both feet side by side as you would using 2 pedals.
The brake pedal in my car is also higher than the accel so once you have pressure on the brake, it is then level with the accel making it easier to heel/toe
These can be put back together and no will will know
Nice work man :up:
Quote :I actually do work from the office not just play games , so need the office chair for working

make a second one. just a wood'n plate and you fix the whole seat on it so you can still change the position like in the car. at the front you do something to fix the wheel and pedals and just before the wheel something to put the screen on

I work for a company who do car seats and they have for exhibition something like this and its really nice wood. I was just thinking how great it would be if they throw it away and I could get it

and when you can get automatic one you can do some change on it and connect the motors in it with the FFB so u get a bit vibration on your seat
I agree that a car seat would be better.
Was thinking of building/buying a cockpit for a while but don’t have room in the office.
Also thought about using a car seat but didn’t think it would work well at the desk for everyday use. Need pop up castors
Need to use the desk as a mounting point for the wheel, so restricted to that height. The seat would then need to be high up to sit at the desk comfortably which would mean the pedals would need to be higher as well....

I could do with some technical drawings from a car showing the seat height pedal angles, travel etc. rather than trying to measure manually.

mr grady is that a custom h-shifter wooden gear stick or handbrake maybe
Elderado

CAN I COME OVER

HOLY SH!T
I was trying this, and the screws on the pedals stripped out...

Suggestions?
#25 - Guby

G25 Pedal Mod with Chair Restraint
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG