The online racing simulator
Realism/Realistic or Enjoyment?
(52 posts, started )

Poll : Realistic/Realism or Enjoyment

Realistic/Realism
Enjoyment
Just like Tristan wrote: "The realism, and the restrictions that that brings, is what makes it so much fun."
I would add my personal experience as another example of the above - when we play like we really had to "pay" for a car and eventually repair costs with my LFS friends (not necessarily the racing), once you really get to believe to this assume, huge adrenaline wave floods your veins instantly. Imagine that you can loose everything in case you crash, and then try to be a hero pushing it at T1.

This is what I imagine if you say realism. Asking devs for reset or restart buttons in online event and justify it by saying "it's just a game" is not my cup of coffee. I hope it makes any sense.
I enjoy the realism so both
And I realize the enjoyment.
#29 - Goop
perhaps Fordman meant, which, of the two, rate the highest. That is, do you want absolute, brutal realism (eg. touching the walls at the city equals a three-wheeled car), or are you content with realistic physics (otherwise, I doubt most of us would be here) with some liberties taken (eg. restarts, forgiving damage model, HUD and radar/map).

I voted realism :cyclops:
hmm what to pick????

Simulation Realism creates enjoyment- I go with both
imo LFS is the only arce sim that offers both fun and realism at 100%
Quote from Fordman :Realism. Well for me, personally, if I wanted realism, I would pop to work and take for a drive a WRX ST, a Evo 9, a Focus ST, RX8. OK I am lucky where I work, but if I wanted realism, I would go and get it. If I wanted enjoyment, then I know where I can get it.

Actually, I would see those options IRL as enjoyment, not realism. After all, realism is a term that was invented to describe something which is not real, but tries to appear real. Therefore a real situation cannot really have realism in it ;p

Anyway, as already said, the realism is what makes the game enjoyable. I can't play GT4 anymore, my brother is like the god of GT4, and whenever he forces me to play with him I just brake 100m too soon, steer in way too soon and slam over the kerbs before the apex, slow down for turns which are full-speed etc. It's just no fun to mess around with odd-feeling physics, like braking full force into a hairpin and then slamming on the throttle of an overpower RWD without losing the tail. Zero enjoyment.
Casual Enjoyment mostly. I really like the odd hour of LFS but I would say there are still a good few improvements needed before it really is realistic enough to play it for 'uber realism'. Everytime I do that I end up frustrated so I have the most fun in 'casual enjoyment mode', where I look at the good bits and not at the things that need improvement.
Quote from Goop :perhaps Fordman meant, which, of the two, rate the highest. That is, do you want absolute, brutal realism (eg. touching the walls at the city equals a three-wheeled car), or are you content with realistic physics (otherwise, I doubt most of us would be here) with some liberties taken (eg. restarts, forgiving damage model, HUD and radar/map).

I voted realism :cyclops:

Brutal realism up to a point then... Having to reinstate your licensed status with another 24 bucks because you had a deadly crash in a computer simulation would go way too far... Basically, I like the driving and damage model as realistically as possible, but it stops there... I don't ever want to see disadvantages for the driver like in SCAR because I raced too close or I haven't done enough mileage to upgrade my "stress resistance"-value to level 3...
Quote from Goop :perhaps Fordman meant, which, of the two, rate the highest.

The meaning of computer games, or simulations, at least for most of us, is entertaining.

I see it like; when it comes to racing games, or simulations, different people enjoy different levels of realism. Therefore I cannot compare these two things like 'realism' and 'arcade' for example. Hope you got the point from my lousy explanation
I like the realisme, to a certain extent - altough this can sound weird for someone who races with kb...

But most of all, and that's what keeps me coming back like every day to LFS is the enjoyement; the races, the making a new pb, crawling bit by bit to that WR time, chatting, smapping, being around with people I know over more then (soon) 5 years by now! NOTHING can compare that, not even Total War: Medieval II, altough it is -in my opionions- one of the most massive and best strategy games ever, I will always update my LFS version and I will always play LFS, slow or fast, realistic or more arcadish, it isn't anymore about the game for me... more about the people, the racers, the devs, the personal connections and soon.. another LFS meeting were I perhaps can see the people behind the nick.

Oh, and I say now, aren't even a glimp of what I really feel about LFS, realistic or enjoyment, it is in the heart ! Sometimes the realisme becomes enjoyment, and the realism as the enjoyment become much more... a passion! And you don't have to be a nerd for that..

:heartbeat
HI All,

Yes, Goop understood me Sorry, have read it back, and its a naff pole, due to me wording it.

What I mean't is. What attracts you to LFS. Is it...

1. The realism. The physics, etc etc
or
2. The Enjoyment Factor. Racing with friends, meeting people. Having Clean races, close races, etc etc. You can have these without realism

I know LFS contains both, but as I said earlier, for me "personally" if I wanted realism I could have it. LFS for me, is just a whole heap of fun. The enjoyment factor out ways the realism factor for me and just wondered what others thought.

Does that make more sense LOL
#38 - mort
I find it very hard to choose between the two. My background is more in Flight Sims than racing sims/games. In flight sims realism is everything so I guess I am used to that and get enjoyment from it. I have admit that the learning curve in LFS is very steep as a result though but I enjoy it more than other racing games I've played.

Mort
Sorry Fordman, even with the better explaination of the poll questions it's still both for me. Without the realism as in the physics of the cars, etc, I would not be racing LFS. As well as, without the racing with friends, meeting people, clean and close racing, I would not be racing LFS. I switched to LFS because it was my first experience racing online with real people and that was a blast. That was with S1 demo, and the novelty of online would have worn off and I would have gone back to NR2003 and would have gone online with it. I stayed with LFS because it is such a "realistic" experience. That is when S2 demo came out, then the licensed version. But if the people left, then I would have gone back to NR2003 as well.

It is getting to be like my last point in the US timezone. There are hardly anyone racing anymore. But, those few folks I do still see night after night (KShep, aidan, the [DS] guys...) keep me logging in every night still. If Banshee and the Core and LOTF guys weren't doing their F08 league, I would be seeing more of them as well. And they also would keep me logging onto the servers.

So, for the poll, they are both very very important.
Quote from Fordman :1. The realism. The physics, etc etc
or
2. The Enjoyment Factor. Racing with friends, meeting people. Having Clean races, close races, etc etc. You can have these without realism

Voted for 1. The realism.

Clean races with me
I dont know man, I just play

I like realisam and LFS is realistic but there are superb communities in here so I play for enjoment too

And I enyoje in racing so as in realisic, I won't vote becouse I can't decide for any one side

Option 3 - I'll go for both. There is no other sim than LFS
#43 - dev
Both, I enjoy playing LFS because it's realistic
Now all will say option 3 becouse I sad it muhahahah

Am I insane? illepall

LOL post
Quote from N I K I :
Am I insane? illepall

Yes, you are

On topic: I play LFS becouse I enjoy it very much while I play it. It's becouse of many factors and realism is one of them.
I just feel really comfy driving in LFS
I can't choose.

Like a lot of others have posted, I enjoy LFS because it's realistic. Take that away and it becomes just like any other driving game out there.

So I'm out of this poll
#48 - JTbo
Realism, however currently that is just a distant dream when compared to real driving, so it is more like enjoyment, maybe in future there will be more realistic approach as computers become faster and lfs is getting more updates.

Sure, LFS is one of the most realistic sims available to consumers at the moment, don't get me wrong, but it is very far from real realism.
Quote from tristancliffe :Ultimately, of course it is enjoyment. But the more realism I get, up to a point where silliness occurs (e.g. driver health, or having to repair tyre valves, or having to build/mod the car in the first place), the more enjoyment I will derive.

If it was all about pure 'enjoyment' we'd all be playing something shit like Gran Turismo Online and having huge forgiving slip curves everywhere. The realism, and the restrictions that that brings, is what makes it so much fun.

For me at least.

All said, I feel the same
Realism=Enjoyment 2 Me

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG