The online racing simulator
More realistic damage
(44 posts, started )
HAHA, love that post Bob
a new damage system
so you can get doors off smash windows boots and so on
#28 - Jakg
Quote from shaun463 :so you can get doors off smash windows boots and so on

damage was introduced to stop wallriding. It is in no means finished, i expect it will be breakable by S2 final

Oh, and please search first!
Smash boots? Racing shoes are generally leather, not clay.

Anyway, no need for more threads on such an obvious topic. Please re-use an existing thread if you wish to discuss this topic further (and perhaps with more constructive posts than "lol").
a new damage system
what i meant was smash the boots of cars
Boots of cars?? What does that mean???
My english sux so am not quite sure of that term...
#33 - Jakg
ffs - to quote bob "Anyway, no need for more threads on such an obvious topic. Please re-use an existing thread if you wish to discuss this topic further (and perhaps with more constructive posts than "lol")."

PLEASE post in the thread for this!
Come on, the previous thread was closed for a reason
#35 - Vain
Quote from blackfang :Boots of cars?? What does that mean???

I looked it up myself. Cars have a storage space in the rear (unless it's a Porsche, where it's in the front), which is the car's boot.

Vain
Quote from Vain :I looked it up myself. Cars have a storage space in the rear (unless it's a Porsche, where it's in the front), which is the car's boot.

Vain

You mean the trunk?
#37 - Jakg
that is the americanism, yes
Quote from Vain :I looked it up myself. Cars have a storage space in the rear (unless it's a Porsche, where it's in the front), which is the car's boot.

Vain

a saloon or coupe has a boot
a estate or hatchback has something differrent (i forgot what its called)
LFS hasnt focused 100% on the damage system at this point, as far as I know...
And there has been 1,000,000,000 threads about the damage system upgrade....

Haven't alot of them allready been removed?
Quote from shaun463 :a saloon or coupe has a boot
a estate or hatchback has something differrent (i forgot what its called)

They're all boots. Maybe in the estate it might get referred to as a 'Load Space', but that's just PR speak for a boot.

Trunk is an Americanism from when cars didn't have built in boots, but had a space where you could attach your trunk of luggage (basically a big wooden suitcase).
Here, an existing thread for you to discuss this topic in (and this one can't have been the first either). Just trying to keep things organised around here.
The current damage model does leave a lot to be desired, but the fact of the matter is that the physics, graphics and audio need much more attention right now.

Engine damage after collisions could be simplified to the amount of damage of the body for now. For instance, if a front engined car deforms too much to the point that it'll damage/destroy where the radiator/intercooler would reasonably be, it should suffer reduced power, progressive overheating or both. When deformation reaches certain predefined areas of teh engine bay, the engine would be considered destroyed/missing and the car should be rendered immobile. This shouldn't be too taxing on CPU time whilst adding a healthy dose of realism.

As for flying parts, that could wait till the graphics are much improved. And aero damage could wait until the aero model is much improved and close to finalization. Drivetrain damage could wait until problems like clutch implementation are sorted out.

Flying parts that lie around and broken windscreens would be nice, but first things first.
Quote from Jamexing :The current damage model does leave a lot to be desired, but the fact of the matter is that the physics, graphics and audio need much more attention right now.

I would say that's an opinion, not "the fact of the matter". And I would wholeheartedly disagree. The physics in LFS are probably the best of any sim on the market. They're not perfect, but they're very, very good. Good enough that now the physics are no longer the limiting factor for the sim. The damage model, audio, etc are the weak link. The graphics are just fine. Maybe not as fancy as GTR2, but definitely workable.

Quote :Engine damage after collisions could be simplified to the amount of damage of the body for now. For instance, if a front engined car deforms too much to the point that it'll damage/destroy where the radiator/intercooler would reasonably be, it should suffer reduced power, progressive overheating or both. When deformation reaches certain predefined areas of teh engine bay, the engine would be considered destroyed/missing and the car should be rendered immobile. This shouldn't be too taxing on CPU time whilst adding a healthy dose of realism.

I agree with you on this. A simple engine damage model would be better than none. However; I would really like to see damage due to over-revving and engine braking as well. The way engine braking is handled in LFS is probably the most unrealistic thing about the whole sim, IMO.

Quote :Drivetrain damage could wait until problems like clutch implementation are sorted out.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Even though I *really* want to see the clutch model improved I think that both are equally important. I think that the clutch improvements would have a greater effect on the feel of the car, but I think that damage improvements would have a greater effect on realism as a whole, and would help to prevent people from driving at 11/10ths all the time, which is what happens now.
Well, IRL, flat shifting with a button clutch with no form of power cut on upshift is a recipe for disaster. That's why drivetrain damage isn't quite so doable as long as button clutches still remain. In that case we're better off choosing between a proper analogue clutch and the autoclutch. All this is irrelevant to the BF1, of course. It's just better to keep things consistant than to poke new thing in before things are ready to support them. Avoids a lot of frustration.

Damage on over revving needs well definbed regions of safe and damaging revs. This would go a long wasy to curbing ridiculous gearbox settings. On engine braking, unless downshifting occurs ridiculously early and ends up overreving the poor thing, there shouldn't be any. I hear so many urban myths about engine braking, but EVERY case of "engine braking related" damage case I've seen so far involves abusive behavior such as banging a car from 4th to 1st. It's also amazing that over 90% of the current driving population simply does not understand the need to blip the engine to the proper revs before letting go of the clutch on downshifts. No wonder the engines get so abused. And premature overhauls do a great job of filling mechanics' pockets. Simply going easier on the throttle whilst going downhill isn't supposed to damage a well maintained engine at all.

As for the physics model, don't overblow it. It's better than at least 99% of what's possibly available, but its far from complete. The aero model is definitely unfinished, and there's no way to reasonably deny that. At least the tire model has been cleaned up a lot, but the suspensions are definitely not finished. Lack of dynamic toe, multilinks, live axles, proper trailing arms, antidive/squat geometry... The list goes on. And all these things have massive bearings on a car's dynamic behavior.

If LFS was just another product meant to be sold like GT4 (aka sorry excuse for a sim), then the current physics is fine as long as some numerical tweaks are made. That's simply not the case, otherwise the developers won't be working on LFS at all right now and simply try to sell it like GTR2 and retire to lives of luxury. We should all be glad that LFS's developer don't quite run such an MO.

More realistic damage
(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG