The online racing simulator
Will S3 Bring Tweels?
(30 posts, started )
Will S3 Bring Tweels?
Was just wondering if Tweels will make it to S3? If you dont know what I mean, hkracers.com has an image of it.
I hope not. How should we change the "tyre-pressure"? By changing the steel stiffness of these "tweels"? Or what else these things are out of

Greets,
Warper

PS: These pics are rather old, so i don't think that we will see them soon on tracks!
Some how I don't see them being very popular with racers. Infact, I don't see them being very popular with anyone who needs to change their tyre pressure.

Anyone who drives offroad needs the ability to drop pressure, anyone who does any sort of racing needs to be able to push it up. The list can go on and on. The local bobbies don't use the stock tyre pressure because it makes the tyres roll too much on corners so they push it up.
hmmm. they look flimsy in a way dont they. anyway im off to toilet for a number 2 then goin to bed.

nite all.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Anyone who drives offroad needs the ability to drop pressure, anyone who does any sort of racing needs to be able to push it up. The list can go on and on. The local bobbies don't use the stock tyre pressure because it makes the tyres roll too much on corners so they push it up.

But for the 90% of people that buy a car from a dealer and then never think of things like tire pressure it will be great.
#6 - Woz
Great for shopping trolly/school run cars etc but in a race car there will be no lateral flex which will effect grip a huge amount, so pointless.
Quote from BrandonAGr :But for the 90% of people that buy a car from a dealer and then never think of things like tire pressure it will be great.

Until you throw in the extra cost. You could probably* get a road car a new set of the best boots for the same price as one of them.

*I have no idea what they cost, but I doubt it'll be cheap.
Quote from Woz :Great for shopping trolly/school run cars etc but in a race car there will be no lateral flex which will effect grip a huge amount, so pointless.

and it wont really allow u to fit bigger brakes, so pointless +1
Basically as long as those tires aren't used in real racing it would be pointless to have them in LFS, imho
Interesting stuff. I bet we will see them in about 5 years on street cars. It is possible that we will see them in racing too.

I also wouldn't doubt that they will come up with a mechanical "pressure" adjustment as well. A band that expanded or contracted to allow for more or less give in the spring section.

I am not so sure about needing sidewalls. If your regular tire rolls over that far and it does touch, I don't think the sidewall is providing you any grip anyway. The grip still comes from the tread.
Since there's no air inside the tyre, I think it will be hard to warm up this type of tyres..? So unless some special rubber compound is used, these tyres will be rather useless in racing, I think.
Not only they are useles, they also are ugly as hell
I think these "tweels" are against the tire popping, but i have a question about it.
You cant race with a too hot tire, how to drive a popped tire at high speed?
That's why they aren't used in racing.

And it'true : they really ugly
They'll be used in racing in a flash if the performance is there. I can definitely see some potential - compared to using regular tyres the wheel/tyre assembly might be lighter, sidewall flex might be reduced, and brake cooling potential might be improved.
sharkboots - well then MIGHT be useful if we would have damage able brakes in LFS
Quote from sharkboots :They'll be used in racing in a flash if the performance is there. I can definitely see some potential - compared to using regular tyres the wheel/tyre assembly might be lighter, sidewall flex might be reduced, and brake cooling potential might be improved.

Yeah, but imagine those wheels on an F1 car. The g-forces they would have to deal with. What if part of the wheel starts bending into it's own centre on the racetrack?
Also, with the downforce levels so high in F1, those spokes have to be so hard, I doubt it'd be any advantage. The tyres would also produce a lot of drag.
Quote from evans :Yeah, but imagine those wheels on an F1 car. The g-forces they would have to deal with. What if part of the wheel starts bending into it's own centre on the racetrack?
Also, with the downforce levels so high in F1, those spokes have to be so hard, I doubt it'd be any advantage. The tyres would also produce a lot of drag.

But it is all about engineering. I'm pretty sure that michelin or bridgestone would have tested these already if there was any indication that these kind of tires were better. I can think few things why these are not used in F1:
1) probably you must use tires with some gas inside, tweel does not have gas inside = fia disapproves!
2) vibrations. = driver disapproves!
3) developing a totally new kind of tire would cost a lot of money. And there is really no point for that because in F1 all the teams are using one and same tire manufacturer in the season. = tire manufacturer disapproves!
they are just plain crazy. just called a tire shop, and they said they coming out in less then a month and will retail in the us for 250 per 4
they look cool ,what is teh purpose of them ??
Well I guess this is a partial answer to the tyre pressure argument:

When needed to adjust tyre pressure, instead you can have different strength rubber and what ever that bedy spoke thingy is. Rather then having to adjust tyre pressure you simply swap the wheels for what ever conditions, and it means that there are no flats. But where can you carry 4 extra wheels? My suggestion would be: Attach one to the roof, one in the boot, one super glued to the bonnet and the last you hold dangerously whilst making your way out of IKEA.
#21 - Tick
Old News! Saw a show on this about a year and half ago on some auto channel.

Its Junk! Kinda like saying GTR 2 is a simulation!

Tick
Quote from Tick :Its Junk! Kinda like saying GTR 2 is a simulation!

This one ranks just behind the kithen quote from Raceabout 2005 thread

And yes, in F1 this tyre would probably just bend out of the way. Take a look at the V8 tyre deformation video. You'll be amazed how accurate LFS is and how much the tyres bend, flex, squat, basicly everything you'd imagine
Quote from squidhead :sharkboots - well then MIGHT be useful if we would have damage able brakes in LFS

They are only ugly because they removed the sidewall for the press to see that they aren't using normal tyres. Side walls would go on if they ever made it to the market.
Quote from xWolFx :
When needed to adjust tyre pressure, instead you can have different strength rubber and what ever that bedy spoke thingy is.

Some sarcasm, no offence:
oh great, so I have to go to the shop, get a new set of tWeels, pay for them and for installation, just to make my car ready for some heavy loading....
great...it's so much easier then pumping the tyres pressure...
These wheels are so weird that I wouldn't even think about putting them on my car. They make any car look like shit!

Will S3 Bring Tweels?
(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG