The online racing simulator
Real names vs Nicknames
(122 posts, started )
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :my name is w.dendy and im from northampoton, and im here today because i have an alcohol problem

*you all claps*

Hello w.dendy
-
(bo-kristiansen) DELETED by bo-kristiansen
#27 - joen
I always use my real name. Just my first name though.
I prefer to see real names, but nicknames don't really bother me.
I think racing with you real name may catch on
Only games that i have used my real name in are GPL and nkPro. GPL had asked for first and last name in the options and nkPro writes your name in the cockpit. As far as i can tell LFS gives me nothing for using my real name so i will continue to use nickname.
Jay Jensen. Aged 30 years. 2nd generation Dane, for any that are here.
I use my first name in my racername, I don't feel the need to put my second one. If it was necessary for a league then I wouldn't mind but I don't see the point of putting it in my name at any other time (the fact I have it on my number plate doesn't count :schwitz

Btw. I'm Danny Quarton, 15, nice to meet you all
If anything serious comes up then I'd prefer if they used real names instead of nicknames...
Nothing really serious has presented itself in LFS yet. So for now I don't see the need.

I have raced in serious leagues (but not in LFS) and have used my real name. If you're really that set on using a nick, you can always just create a team that is made up of "yournickgoeshere"-Racing.

When LFS presents something this serious, I'd want them to use real names.

PS. I wrote that article, so you know my real name
im vipeness, people call me vipe, and i live at hkracers.com
Well, when I signed up for the LXCC, in the form I was asked for real name. Even though my teammate filled it for us, I had no problem to use my real name in it, and because of it, we will have our real names on our car skins as well.

I have used my alias, Hyperactive, in all multiplayer games and sims many years so it carries some reputation for me, like it does in LFS. If a LFS league asks for real name, I'll give it and probably use it - if not, I'm Hyperactive.

Although, using your real name gives more professional impression.
When I used to use GPL the majority used their real name and that's stuck around for me in forums and in-game.
ive been online for years now and have gotten so used to people using handles i couldnt imagine otherwise ... and usually you can easily tell from the handle/typingstyle if somebodys serious or just a kid

and if it wasnt for ctrl-shift id have no idea who im looking at while watching replays where drivers use their real names

id rather have everybody use his real numberplate in lfs like i do ... makes it so much more exciting if somebody uses a police skin

Quote from tristancliffe :My real name is Eric Splatt, and I'm a 17 year old Thai ladyboy. My hobbies include shearing sheep and playing the bagpipes. When I'm not doing either of those, or my job, or playing LFS, I weave electrical conduit into disgusting images.

so you were the ladyboy on that zomg picture i sent don one ... deep in my heart i always knew
My first inital and real last name are on my skins. I also use them in league races. In normal pick-up online races I use Nick_ll.
I've been 96 GTS literally forever. It was the account I registered on my very first forum, so I feel it's a part of me. However, I race LFS as (NASSA) Ryan.

Ryan Windfeldt, 19, nice to meet you all
I am Dustin Dawes, I am 14 and live in Canada. I enjoy long walks on the beach and in my free time I read romance novels....

Seriously though, I enjoy being able to go "Hey David, mind sharing your setup" rather than going "Tweakie, can I try that set?". It makes us seem more human than possibly a 45 year-old man using the name Barbie Girl. That reminds me of in the first S2 Demo release, I was driving and there were HORNY BLONDE #1 and HORNY BLONDE #2 and it was funny, becuase I remember several people asking what their MSN's were.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Well, you should show your girlfriend some of his storys, to make her think he's even weirder. :P
#41 - Goop
I raced GPL as C.Anderson, but, besides a little organized racing, never had much need in LFS. I agree tho, it does look nice and not as... 'gamey'.

Craig, 28 :wave2:
Quote from thisnameistaken :My girlfriend walked past my computer the other day and said "You're talking to someone called 'Funnybear'?". This is why I find internet nicknames a bit unpleasant!

the internets for newcomers rule 1
dont talk about your girlfriend people are either not going to believe you have one or demand pictures of her (which you cant send them as youre a nice user who doesnt want to clog up the tubes with all that data)
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
The great thing about nicknames is that girlfriends might not know that is you talking when you say that and they somehow manage to read it. I think I'd have a hard time getting out of it myself..."how many other Michael Denham's are there who play LFS and have girlfriends with wonderful boobs?!" Yeah, you got me there...
I prefer nicknames, because they're what we are using here, they're what we are mostly recognized by. On the other hand, in public servers, driving against "John Smith" makes me feel more safe than driving against 2FaZsst4uMfKR.. In leagues it's a different matter, I'm comfortable of using any name required, but I see the recognizing thing as a minor downside in closed enviroment also.
I aswell prefer nicknames, but anyway -
Tor Ole Lerbæk, 18 years old. Playes guitar on my free time, aswell as doing computer..stuff... most of the time.

Greetings from the land north of ya
Quote from Gabkicks :I think realistic physics are more important than people using their real names.

#47 - Smax
I've used this screen name everywhere except my MSN tag for as long as I've used the internet. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter what people call themselves, as long as they're consistent about it. How they behave is far more important, and I wouldn't support any move to remove people's choice about whether or not they can "hide" behind the anonymity of a nickname, since at the risk of being rude, that strikes me as taking it all a bit more seriously than I'd like to.
I gave up using a "handle" online when I got into this thing called adulthood. To me the whole nickname thing works much better in things like CB radio, but in a text format they're rediculous because people use symbols and capital letters in an unreadable way. I sometimes look at the driver list in LFS and think of drivers not by their name, but as "The two white characters and four red characters driver", or just "him".

In the STCC all drivers have to use a real (or fake but real sounding) name, because it is a league with commentary coverage. I've read race reports from other series where LfAn8io beat UXXhax8532 and they're almost impossible to read the reports.

In terms of pickup racing I couldn't care less what people call themselves, but I think any semi-serious league should have proper names, even if they aren't real, but they should be real enough that when spoken or writen they make some sense.

BeXorR053
I to think they are good for leagues because the race reports read better. We used real names in ESL and it was a nice touch. Although one fella didn't want to give his real name for some reason.
ive been known as tinvek since i first started playing online games in 99

realised not long ago that i'm probably known to more people as tinvek than kev newnes, even a lot of my real life m8s call me tinvek or tin now.

in case anyones wondering tinvek comes from needing a nick name for air attack and at time the girlfriends 7 year old daughter used to call me kevnit so i reversed it . for some reason a lot of people seem to assume its a german name

Real names vs Nicknames
(122 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG