The online racing simulator
#26 - R-to
Quote :What got me by surprise when I fired up LFS again after such a long time is, that I immediately felt at home when driving. It is insane how good it feels compared to all the other Sims I played in the last 15 years

I also played many (10+) years of lfs and the main reason is the game physics. You dont basically have to learn the physics of the game because it feels natural and what a joy that it is!

I did start playing rFactor 2 about 2 years ago and find that they are doing also something right there. I did played alot of BTCC and GT3 cars because they felt kind of nice and the car behavior is good and realistic enough at least when you had some hours on them.

I did yesterday shocked really badly. When i did get used to the BTCC and GT3 cars and then i suddenly did drive rear wheel drive BMW M2 car. Then i was thinking that what a #ell... this car feels so FAKE how it drives. I was always thinked of the BTCC and GT3 cars that they feel some kind of way natural.. but not perfect. Now i get it that the game delevopers and modders have to tweak/mod the cars some ridiculous way to perform "realistic enough" because the basic physics sucks in the game and i think that every game has the same problem. iRacing, ac, acc, am2, rr and so on... that is the main reason why in the game is going on always some weird #hit what dont feel nice and strating to irritate badly.

I never felted in LFS when i changed a car that game physics are done badly, only the vehicle is #hit if it is. There is always commonsense in the physics while you drive the vehicle and how it drives. LFS is the only game what has done the basic physics right. That is the reason why i am playing still the game.

Next thing what im waiting for the game is the track editor. Also the new tyre physics are important and many many many many other little and big things. Still the most what i need is the track editor.
Quote from Scawen :As if I don't already have piles of notes of things to do on paper all around my desk. Face -> palm

I think most of us would like to see what your desk (workplace) looks like Smile
if "most of us" = "you" then yes.

its probably disorganized mess like the whole development process of this game.
I'd like to look not at the workspace but at the notes themselves, there are probably some bulitpoints on planned updates there.
Shh, that was totally not my plan at all Smile
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :A person uses a derogatory term for another nation and it is ignored. The same person criticizes the game development (as I have time to notice, the comments were deleted, maybe I am wrong) and the person is banned from the forum.

You are welcome to use the button to report the post if someone makes an offensive comment. Do you think I read every post in minute detail? Maybe, I am very busy so I have to read over things quite quickly, even if I am following a thread, and might not have time to analyse every word.

On the other hand, I suppose if someone came to the forum every few days and wrote repeated posts about how bad the people of a certain nation are, it would get noticed. Especially if this went on for many years.

The person we are now talking about has been extremely negative, toxic and unpleasant for a very long time. I don't know why someone like that keeps coming back. I'd be happy if he stayed away for good. But something tells me to always be very tolerant and give tiny short bans even when long ones seem deserved.

It's pretty hard doing this job when under attack so often. Also, I could do something else. I do this job for the community members. So it's actually quite upsetting to hear constant anger from bitter members who really have no idea what they are talking about or what is involved.
Quote from NumberTwo :its probably disorganized mess like the whole development process of this game.

You confuse me.

A genuine community contributor and proper racer, but always harshly critical.

I think you don't understand the development philosophy here. I would say again, if you know so much better than us how to make a game (and presumably that would involve a larger team) you should secure the funding, start up a company and just do it right. I would be happy to see your success. But I'd be surprised if it lasted as long as LFS.

On the other hand, if you like a game done the way we do it, you can wait a bit, have a little patience and enjoy the outcome.
Quote from Scawen :[...] But something tells me to always be very tolerant and give tiny short bans even when long ones seem deserved.

It's pretty hard doing this job when under attack so often.[...]

I find it truly amazing that u can have so much patience and endurance. And the LFS sim reflects this. Hats off.
Quote from Scawen :

On the other hand, if you like a game done the way we do it, you can wait a bit, have a little patience and enjoy the outcome.

I've always wondered why not expand the development team, even by just 1 person, it'd surely make the workflow more efficient.
I understand that funding might be an issue, but I think it'd be worth the investment. You yourself mentioned that you haven't yet touched the tyre physics because of the mod-related issues. Why not hire a person, even temporarily, to work on issues like the mod system, while you focus your work on the tyre physics or something more major like that?
Sometimes, explaining what needs to be done to a new person can take much more time and energy then doing things by yourself. Not even mention the process of finding that 1 special guy that has the skills to do it.

Scawen is an old school programer that does things the correct way - the hard way. Many young programers simply don't have this in their mindset. You can blame education system and culture of fast life we have today.
Quote from Scawen :Wow you are a real genius.

As if I don't already have piles of notes of things to do on paper all around my desk. Face -> palm

Add an option in the quote menu to remove all text. should put it on your to-do list Big grin
Quote from dadge :Add an option in the quote menu to remove all text. should put it on your to-do list Big grin

Well... seriously I do wonder why some people do that "quote" reply when they could just type their message. Uhmm

Would it help if there was a REPLY button next to the QUOTE button? And it would provide a link to the original text, which would be as I think you are suggesting, something like a quote but without the quote?

Maybe instead of "Quote from Scawen:" it could say "Replying to Scawen:" ?

I don't know but I think I'll have a quick look in the code as a bit of Sunday work.
I think the quote system works fine how it is, people just need to use it sensibly.
Quote from Scawen :Well...

Microsoft teams does it well. It'll auto edit the quote to the first few words and three ...
The reader can them click the quote (like you mentioned) to navigate to the original post.
One of the first rules of posting in any forum is not to quite a large post if your reply is just below or very near it. If you really must quote, then only take a small chunk.
Okay, first of all, thank you for making me amused and laughing. However, I am not laughing to people as YOU, but these posts and discussions.

Secondly, I have waited over 16 years now, and I am still waiting. If I happen to die before the waiting time is over, so be it. In the meantime, I can do something else.

3rd. Quoting has always been used with both meaning, simply as quoting and/or replying. I can see why the change would be necessary, but not really a must.
Replying to k_badam :

I've added a new REPLY button, let's see how it goes. Smile

EDIT: There was a bug, couldn't edit post. Might try dadge's suggestion after a cup of tea.
Replying to Scawen :

It would be nice if replies went to the notification bell. Sometimes you forget to check your subscriptions if someone answered you, but the bell is always visible, and that's what modern websites do.
Quote from dadge :Microsoft teams does it well. It'll auto edit the quote to the first few words...

OK here's my new attempt. REPLY does a short quote, up to about 80 characters.
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :It would be nice if replies went to the notification bell. Sometimes you forget to check your subscriptions if someone answered you, but the bell is always visible, and that's what modern websites do.

In my account settings: https://www.lfs.net/account/settings

I have it as in the attached image.

Do you not use, or like, to have notifications by email?
Attached images
forum_settings.gif
Quote from Scawen :You confuse me. A genuine community contributor and proper racer, but always...

Ok, I will bite, and hopefully not get called crazy.

I did not comment on your ability to code. I think that as a basis, Live for speed is best simulator out there in many aspects, and especially when it comes to coding them.

My comment was about the organizational aspect of what you code and add to game. Again, im hesitant to even reply because you dont really have a track record of playing nice when faced with criticism. I myself dont know how to code, but im well versed in organizing stuff (my job), and im also very good at doing design and DTP (my hobby). From an organizational aspect, i agree that i dont understand your development philosophy. Im not sure many do, do you?

My brain cannot grasp how it is OK to jump from one development path to another, leaving multiple unfinished branches and basically not having an updated product to release, while still having lots of work. From what i understand, you have worked on tyre physics, scirocco, limited setups, mods, day/night, new lightning system, multithreading...all while not releasing any of it, with exception of mods system. My opinion is that its most efficient to do things one at a time. So yeah, i dont understand the development philosophy. It has gotten this game to a state where devs are running up to date tech, while public is running 15 yo tech. And I know its not about perfectionism, because otherwise you couldnt stand watching ky2 kerbs kill bf1 suspension when driven over at 10kph for 15+ years. Rockingham with buggy kerbs would never be released if we are all perfectionists.

So yeah, i think the whole development process of LFS is jumping from one thing to another without actually finishing and releasing anything. If you feel this post is wrong or overly harsh you can delete it, i didnt want to post it anyway..but didnt want to also leave quote unanswered. I agree that it is your game and you do it the way you want it.
This is of course now getting completely off topic now...

...but why not discussing about these settings on a new thread?

EDIT: Oh yeah, there is no actual section about discussing Improvement Suggestions about websites/ LFS World... only bug reports.

...oh well... I shall then put on here: What happened to our signatures on posts? Could those come back again? Or is it too much on early 2000?
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :...but why not discussing about these settings on a new thread?

We did, it was nice, then it was not nice due to off-topic and personal disputes, and then it was closed.
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG